Sims tracking your IP adress and with it no longer allowing alts. Is this legal?

Bold Burner

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 439 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been banned from a sim... while I hardly said a word... I contacted the owner and I did not get a respond. I then tried to go to their sim on an alt but I but I got a message I was not allowed... this means they are tracking my IP ..... thing is though.. .that they had no reason to ban me... (other than that it's the owner's rule to accept people or not)... 

So I tried to go there on an alt... but even my alt was banned...... so... does this mean they tracked my IP address and is that even legal? 

Edited by Bold Burner
I used venue name which is not allowed I think.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Bold Burner said:

I've been banned from [a region]... while I hardly said a word... I contacted the owner and I did not get a respond. I then tried to go to their sim on an alt but I but I got a message I was not allowed... this means they are tracking my IP ..... thing is though.. .that they had no reason to ban me... (other than that it's the owner's rule to accept people or not)... 

So I tried to go there on an alt... but even my alt was banned...... so... does this mean they tracked my IP address and is that even legal? 

If you have media or music enabled, then your IP is visible for anyone that actually wants to bother looking for it. 

They can ban anyone they want for any reason they want.  

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

There is no direct way inside SL for a script or something to get your IP address.

The only way it can be done is when you connect to an external media stream, such as parcel audio or a webpage on a prim, or by messing about with voice services in sneaky ways. Even then that requires some work to get that data from outside SL back into SL so a script can then deny you entry.

There may be some region side magic that adds an IP ban when an avatar is banned entry, but you would have to ask the server Linden's about that and they might not tell you either way.

The best course of action is to avoid the place entirely.

• Like 6

I am avoiding it all together now... but I went there on some of my alts and all got the message I was banned. so that means something in the script or whatever seems to make a connection between alts, is banning all alts .... so they must have an IP address or something alike... I find it puzzling. 

10 minutes ago, Bold Burner said:

I am avoiding it all together now... but I went there on some of my alts and all got the message I was banned. so that means something in the script or whatever seems to make a connection between alts, is banning all alts .... so they must have an IP address or something alike... I find it puzzling. 

Test it by making a new alt, turn off all media/music and see if they get banned.  

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 8

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Test it by making a new alt, turn of all media/music and see if they get banned.  

Except wait a few days or maybe even 30 as some sims automatically block "new folks".  I know that from a recent making of a business alt. 

LONG ago there were lots of sims tracking and banning folks.  I remember "red" as being part of the ap that did this but likely someone else will remember exactly. It didn't last too long and I don't remember whether LL stepped in or not.  Again, someone else who cared more than I will likely  remember the story. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Except wait a few days or maybe even 30 as some sims automatically block "new folks".  I know that from a recent making of a business alt. 

LONG ago there were lots of sims tracking and banning folks.  I remember "red" as being part of the ap that did this but likely someone else will remember exactly. It didn't last too long and I don't remember whether LL stepped in or not.  Again, someone else who cared more than I will likely  remember the story. 

LC is supposedly new.resident friendly so they should be able.to get in.  

There's one security system that does use IP to ban alts.  Of course, as was.mentioned, they can only do so if media is turned on.  The system you are.talking about did the same but also made that information public.  This one does not.  They SAY they are ToS compliant and have been around for quite a few years.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Bold Burner said:

I tried.. still not allowed to enter

That's interesting.  Unless that place has recently changed their policy on age of avatar, I don't see how they can link one account to another aside from IP address which is not infallible.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

[The region ]is supposedly new.resident friendly so they should be able.to get in.  

There's one security system that does use IP to ban alts.  Of course, as was.mentioned, they can only do so if media is turned on.  The system you are.talking about did the same but also made that information public.  This one does not.  They SAY they are ToS compliant and have been around for quite a few years.

I was banned at first sentence... which was not even harmful or offending....... but I'm okay with it.. it's their sim... their rules. I'm just a bit in shock that a sim like this would ban people this easily especially when it's LL approved in a way. 

Edited by Quartz Mole

3 minutes ago, Lyta McKeenan said:

Or they possibly could have the sim closed if they are doing a rebuild possibly.  Do you have any friends who are able to TP to the sim?

the party was happing at the moment I arrived. They were not rebuilding or anything of that kind.... 

39 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

There is no direct way inside SL for a script or something to get your IP address.

The only way it can be done is when you connect to an external media stream, such as parcel audio or a webpage on a prim, or by messing about with voice services in sneaky ways. Even then that requires some work to get that data from outside SL back into SL so a script can then deny you entry.

There may be some region side magic that adds an IP ban when an avatar is banned entry, but you would have to ask the server Linden's about that and they might not tell you either way.

The best course of action is to avoid the place entirely.

I don't know why you're mystifying this.

If you go on a sim that has a Shoutcast stream in operation, it grabs the IP addresses of listeners. If you can hear the music and have stream playing enabled, they have your IP. They can then ban it. To be sure, it's not linked to your avatar name, but they can look at time stamps and figure it out.

I suspect quite a few venues still use something like RedZone which wasn't really ever banned, let alone deprecated, even if the RL felon who wrangled it was banned. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I don't know why you're mystifying this.

If you go on a sim that has a Shoutcast stream in operation, it grabs the IP addresses of listeners. If you can hear the music and have stream playing enabled, they have your IP. They can then ban it. To be sure, it's not linked to your avatar name, but they can look at time stamps and figure it out.

I suspect quite a few venues still use something like RedZone which wasn't really ever banned, let alone deprecated, even if the RL felon who wrangled it was banned. 

I have everything disabled and I'm still banned on all alts

I know that in some cases (estate ban? region ban?) the IP is in fact banned (automatically when the avatar is banned. The IP doesn't get banned directly by the sim/estate owner) and you cannot enter that sim with an alt using the same IP. This IP ban gets extended when you try and get denied access, but it goes away after an hour or so. Maybe somebody can clarify on that and has more details. However, the IP is not being revealed.

Edited by xDancingStarx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, xDancingStarx said:

I know that in some cases (estate ban? region ban?) the IP is in fact banned and you cannot enter that sim with an alt using the same IP. This IP ban gets extended when you try and get denied access, but it goes away after an hour or so. Maybe somebody can clarify on that and has more details. However, the IP is not being revealed.

They can't get your IP If you have media disabled.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 439 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.