Unable to run Firestorm viewer

Denise Domela

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm at a loss here. I can no longer launch the firestorm viewer, even did a clean reinstall/updated drivers/rebooted router/ among the many suggestions on the FS troubleshooting wiki page. I downloaded the SL viewer but that does the same thing. It starts to log in and then shuts down or sometimes I'll get in on either viewer and it immediately freezes up then crashes. Prior to all this and what made me do the reinstall of FS was because I was experiencing alot of crashes. For about 2 days everything was working great then I crashed and since then, no luck. Any help or advice is much appreciated.

You say you can't launch the viewer, but then mention that you can start the login process process (which suggests that the viewer will launch, but it's the login process that fails).

Let us see your system specs, for starters.

Go to your viewer's top bar menu Help -> About [Viewer Name] - Info Tab and copy/paste the whole page of that into a post here.

If you can do this while logged in, all the better. We get a bit more important information. Otherwise, do it without logging in.

That info will give us something to work with, and often reveals some of the usual suspects.

12 hours ago, Denise Domela said:

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Find your way to the viewer logging directory, which on windows is in the  C  -user - Appdata - roaming - (viewer name) folder, and under the folder called logs for each viewer, find the most recent log file and look at the very bottom of it to get an idea of the errors. Since both FS and SL viewers are giving you problems this is likely to be a similar error for each, but their reporting method might vary. 

I'm in a similar position to you with a problem trying to run the 32-bit viewers for an old embedded graphics laptop - since the viewer won't start I can't go to the top bar to get the viewer details.

You could always install and run Radegast to make sure you can actually connect to SecondLife, but it doesn't have the option to determine the system information that is necessary to track down this type of problem.

@Denise Domela Normally the best thing to do would be to ask in the suport groups but that's not helpful when you can't reach them. In this case I would suggest that you, please raise a Support ticket at our JIRA bug reporting system, that way the support team can see it and we can have your info collected in one place.

Edited by Beq Janus
fixed link

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2023 at 10:34 AM, Denise Domela said:

Sorry for the delay I forgot I posted here. Anyway the oddest thing was after rebooting my PC several times suddenly everything worked and ran properly. I can't explain it

After multiple restarts in fairly quick succession the Windows OS decides something many be wrong and runs some self repair steps. I suspect that fixed the problem.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.