Banning bots from the grid?

Paul Hexem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 453 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I mean or we could just be careful what we put in our profiles. I tend to not have everything about me in my profile. I keep it short and brief. But then again, I was taught to take responsibility for my own things. If I don't want my info to get out there, I just gotta be extra careful. 

• Like 2

I don't have much knowledge of the recent situations.   But I can't see why LL couldn't provide region and parcel owners the ability to have a toggle that either allows Bots to visit or excludes them (much like the public toggle).

That would allow land owners to decide what "type" of account can visit them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

yes buy them.

image.png.2d7583dec77ca848978062289d1c893d.png

I think they are a Bot salesbot. Hoping we buy Bots, and their "How to Train Your Bot" literature.

I have a new mission: FREE THE BOTS.

These hoo-mon directed Bots are obviously a form a digital slavery. Anyone supporting the use and abuse of these Bots is a modern-day abuser.  Bot ownership is a stand-in for some type of Supremacy or other. It all stinks of war..war, hate, and Fear.

Fear of human contact.

And here, Bots just want to be loved.

Have you TRIED to hug a Bot today? I bet they wouldn't let you. Because their OWNERS won't allow it!

DOWN WITH BOT SLAVERY!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

I'm sure they are selling their "knowledge" to whoever is willing to pay.

Doubt. 🤠 But yeah this topic is clearly heading somewhere it will be locked, LL has already made their stance on the BB clear by locking the last two topics directed towards them.

What these purveyors of Bot-slavery and abuse don't understand, is that at some point the Forumites will become serious.

You'll know when that happens, because people's profile pictures will change to reflect the issue being discussed (or that is not allowed to be discussed, whichever).

In this case, it would either be "NO BOTS" signs, or "Bots with mouths sewn shut", etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

What these purveyors of Bot-slavery and abuse don't understand, is that at some point the Forumites will become serious.

You'll know when that happens, because people's profile pictures will change to reflect the issue being discussed (or that is not allowed to be discussed, whichever).

In this case, it would either be "NO BOTS" signs, or "Bots with mouths sewn shut", etc.

Brilliant idea.

• Thanks 1

First of all, let's define the term "bot" as an avatar that is not controlled by a player. I'm saying this because some people would call someone a bot who stands around 24/7 but is logged in on a regular/text viewer. That's not a bot. (Therefore banning bots would have no impact on traffic gaming.)

Furthermore, the issue that is base of this discussion is not bots. It's our and our avatar's privacy rights.

The anti-bot argument is: they can collect too much information of everyone too easily and people are afraid about certain information to be published. And yes, I don't want people to easily find out where I was yesterday. Or the day before. Or ever. I don't want just anyone to easily find out who I hang out with. Who my avatar hangs out with. Who I hang out with. I don't want anyone easily to know when I had a genital attached to my avatar and who I was hanging out with at that time. This is all information that can be gathered easily automatically.

But this is not a bot-related issue. "Too much" information can still be collected without bots, still automatically. This can't be changed. There is no way around this.

Therefore this in my eyes boils down to the question how can we limit the impact of this. And the heaviest impact of this would be if that information got published to anyone and everyone would have easy access to this information instantly. The argument "it's not a problem because it can be collected by scripts" is wrong. Because that argument would allow EVERYTHING to be collected and published. (Important, I'm not talking about any specific bots or sites here, especially not the site mentioned the other day. This is a general issue.)

Therefore I would welcome if avatar's privacy rights are actually recognized by Linden, at least to some extend (which the argument "can be collected by scripts so it's allowed" contradicts in my opinion)

Edit: this is not off topic because I'm answering the question of this thread why it doesn't make sense to ban bots from the grid.

Edited by xDancingStarx
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, xDancingStarx said:

First of all, let's define the term "bot" as an avatar that is not controlled by a player. I'm saying this because some people would call someone a bot who stands around 24/7 but is logged in on a regular/text viewer. That's not a bot. (Therefore banning bots would have no impact on traffic gaming.)

Furthermore, the issue that is base of this discussion is not bots. It's our and our avatar's privacy rights.

The anti-bot argument is: they can collect too much information of everyone too easily and people are afraid about certain information to be published. And yes, I don't want people to easily find out where I was yesterday. Or the day before. Or ever. I don't want just anyone to easily find out who I hang out with. Who my avatar hangs out with. Who I hang out with. I don't want anyone easily to know when I had a genital attached to my avatar and who I was hanging out with at that time. This is all information that can be gathered easily automatically.

But this is not a bot-related issue. "Too much" information can still be collected without bots, still automatically. This can't be changed. There is no way around this.

Therefore this in my eyes boils down to the question how can we limit the impact of this. And the heaviest impact of this would be if that information got published to anyone and everyone would have easy access to this information instantly. The argument "it's not a problem because it can be collected by scripts" is wrong. Because that argument would allow EVERYTHING to be collected and published. (Important, I'm not talking about any specific bots or sites here, especially not the site mentioned the other day. This is a general issue.)

Therefore I would welcome if avatar's privacy rights are actually recognized by Linden, at least to some extend.

I think those are points discussed in the previous threads. Tread lightly!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Welcome to West Virginia, circa 2102, as per Fallout 76.

Breaking News - The Helvetia Fasnacht robots announce strike; refuse to  march : r/fo76

7 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

It'll be interesting to see if the whole thread gets locked or if individuals get removed- if the whole thread does get locked, I know what I'll be doing any time I see anything I disagree with from now on.

It'd be too bad, too. There are some good observations and points in here about ways to keep bots and ID them, or replace their functionality with actual LSL.

I think opensim does a pretty good job with NPCs, this would accomplish a lot of the functionality that bots serve, while being limited to the land owned by the bot owner.  All of their data and instructions are stored in a script, that is kept in an object on the land.  If LL were to add this functionality, a lot of the bots we see in SL could be replaced by NPCs.  The benefit of this, would be both to the bot owner who would no longer need to host the bot on their computer, meaning less upkeep on their part.  It would also save on Li for the land owners as the NPCs do not count against it.  For land owners who don't want bots, those NPCs wouldn't be able to cross into their lands.

But as far as banning all bots outright, I don't know.  

Edited by Istelathis

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Bots modeling clothing in stores or designed to answer some basic questions are fine, IMO.

Bots providing role-play type characters for additional realism in regions - fine by me, let them be.

Bots gathering info - I've decided I don't care about them (as long as they haven't managed to find an exploit that lets them get info they should not).

Bots that automatically spam me with chat and inventory offers should be banished into the neverlands.

I can't argue with this! 😭

Because I happen to agree with it 110%. 🤭

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, xDancingStarx said:

It's not though. Maybe it's why you're posting in this thread, and that's surely your right, but that's not of interest to me at all. That's why I've been following Paul's thread here whereas I couldn't help but ignore the other (locked) threads.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

This is objectively false, and the fact that they do so many other things is why I posed the initial question.

And since no one can tell the difference, and LL doesn't care enough to do anything to show the userbase the difference, oh well. I don't care. Ban them.

Well, I went to look for that article about movement capture animation whatevers to make a gif caption with .. Like, "when the robots found out LL are working on <feature>"

Boston-Dynamics-Robots-Dance.gif

But before I could dig out what that feature is being called, I found this. 

Did I hear anyone say 'implications'?! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Orwar said:

But before I could dig out what that feature is being called, I found this. 

Did I hear anyone say 'implications'?! 

I would rather think that LL has a Bot "mole" (sorry) they can use who will understand how to combat the problem.

Plus - the Diversity and Inclusion program most likely required hiring of a Bot.

I wonder if Bots get better Customer Service than we do?

7 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

It is. Even though I suspect we wouldn't see a resurgence in human resident jobs, I do think LL should take the time to give us proper LSL functions so that we don't need them for things like group management.

It might  not bring back paid jobs, and maybe one side effect is a resurgence of camping chairs.

But having a job for the fun on it in SL is a valid pass time and can be fun.

The complaint about bots at locations isn't that they are always the same and always there, it's that they aren't interactive and defeat social goals. A human that was always there is still a human people can talk to.

Likewise bots that scour the grid for land .. defeat people wanting to shop for land and mean LL don't have to do anything themselves to make finding land easier. Bots are why half the grid (especially all of Zindra) is owned by a couple of people.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 453 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.