Texturing UV Maps

zoxysim

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 452 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

Before I came to this forum I  have watched many videos and read many forums. I was wondering if anyone could help me learn or point me in a good direction on how to texture a UV Map either in Blender or in Photoshop. (I am a noob)

Below I have posted an image of the mesh I created (white) and an item of a SL creator (black & gold) that I adore and would like to be like one day. When I apply texture in-word the mesh texture doesn't look good to me.

So, I realized that the SL creator uses UV maps to texture their meshes.

Heeeelp!

5d3539b428b8c77474caefe232af1f71.jpg

67571b837d6b0ce683df91414cacdf64.png

This very old info page may help.  https://nakedmesh.blogspot.com/p/mesh-faqs.html

If you are making your OWN item  and want a linear texture to work you need to make sure that all the pieces of your UV map go in the same direction.     If you have a UV map or an ambient map from a full perm item then many times they will be that way -- other times not especially when mesh was new :D.    

If you are making a procedural texture within Blender there is undoubtedly a way but I don't do that so can't help. The KEY however is good mapping. You also need to make sure that the pieces of the map are sized in relation to the actual item (so the chest top would be a large piece on the map and the legs would be long and skinny).   Hopefully someone can point you to the correct video. Just thought I would add this for others using UV and ambient maps.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zoxysim said:

Hello,

Thank you Chic! This is my own item and so I have unwrapped the mesh in blender and resized the UV Map accordingly. I just don't know what is the best way to texture the UV Maps. :((

You would create a set of materials for your model in Blender (or export the model into another program like Substance Painter) and bake those materials into a static texture. The baking process requires your model to have its UV map already set up, so you're good on that front.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 452 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.