The struggle to find the right home...

Tayt3rChip

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 449 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey all, 

I'm very new to anything land related on sl and was looking for some advice on what could work for me. On sl I currently enjoy making friends, family style rp , exploring, flying, shopping and taking snapshots... I really want to have second life home , but I'm unsure of that is the best way to go about it. I'm hoping this is a good forum to ask for help. My main goals are having a compact family style house for me and my future  zooby  twins. I'm ideally  looking for something that resembles a traditional house/ farmhouse/ cottage.  The issue is I don't know if it would be better to get a skybox, get a premium account and get a linden home or perhaps linden land (seems complex), or rent  or buy. I am basically confusion at the moment?! A linden home seems interesting but I heard there are many restrictions.And there's also the fact that I have  0 furniture in my inventory. I did see somewhere you can pay someone on sl to decorate for you .. but I dont know where to even begin looking for those people. I searched on classifieds to no avail. I dont mind investing some money towards this but I'm just a bit lost into which direction to go, and getting land a house and  all the furniture in one go seems  like too much. Looking for suggestions as to which direction to go in. Tnx in advance !!

• Like 1

I'd suggest you look for a furnished rental to start with, just to let you get started with a home without having to put out a chunk of money all at once to buy land, house, furniture, etc. Rentals have the least commitment as long as you don't pay too far in advance (it's best to assume "no refunds" is the policy). There are sections here in the Land Forum where landlords post ads, so maybe start there. 

• Like 1

The Bellisseria (e.g., Premium) homes are in beautifully landscaped areas and have some equivalent of homeowner association rules (called the covenant) to keep the area nice. And you can change homes easily.

But my one concern for you is the zooby twins. I believe they each take a lot of LI to rez, and the total LI allowance for a linden home is 351 (if a 1024 sqM house) or 175 (if a 512 sqM house). If you want to have both twins rezzed at the same time and also have furniture in the house, you may need to rent or buy a larger place.

• Thanks 2

If it is Zooby Animesh babies, I read another place on the forum that one needed 89 (!) Li. So twins would be almost 200 Li.

But Bellisseria has one big bonus, the house or boat does not count, so you can use all the 351 Li on babies and furniture.

I know I saw a few posts in the "Show off your Home" thread, but no one with twins. It is not empty houses, they look cozy. I see that the big corner sofa with blue stripes is from PrimPossible, and is 1 Li. The kitchen from DDD is 4 Li. One really need to hunt low Li furniture, but that thread has some tips.

This second link has several posts under it, for the same house. It also has 1 Li sofa furniture in the living room, I think. But what was this creator? PrimPossible or another super low Li store... I knew a name, but now I forgot it.

This kitchen is another DDD kitchen, a 2 Li one. DDD has really low prices too.

Edited by Marianne Little
added the last part
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

The kitchen from DDD is 4 Li. One really need to hunt low Li furniture, but that thread has some tips.This second link has several posts under it, for the same house. It also has 1 Li sofa furniture in the living room, I think. But what was this creator? PrimPossible or another super low Li store... I knew a name, but now I forgot it.

What is DDD -- I might want to go shop there as I love low LI furnature at low prices.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Teresa Firelight said:

What is DDD -- I might want to go shop there as I love low LI furnature at low prices.

Dysfunctional Designs. It used to be Dysfunctional Dolly Designs, hence the DDD group name. Their builds were originally aimed toward Roleplay sims, which tend to have a low prim allowance for renters. Their meshes have only gotten better, with low Li and often modifiable.

Other low Li mesh furniture stores: Apple Fall, Prim Perfect, Dekute Dekor, Bazzar.

If you can modify your furniture, consider removing shadow prims and linking simple box prims such as rugs and pictures to other pieces of furniture. It's a whole game in itself to get the lowest Li you can from the most pieces of furniture and decor pieces.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Dysfunctional Designs. It used to be Dysfunctional Dolly Designs, hence the DDD group name. Their builds were originally aimed toward Roleplay sims, which tend to have a low prim allowance for renters. Their meshes have only gotten better, with low Li and often modifiable.

Other low Li mesh furniture stores: Apple Fall, Prim Perfect, Dekute Dekor, Bazzar.

If you can modify your furniture, consider removing shadow prims and linking simple box prims such as rugs and pictures to other pieces of furniture. It's a whole game in itself to get the lowest Li you can from the most pieces of furniture and decor pieces.

Dekute Decore was the name I forgot! And Bazar has just 1 z, hehe.

DDD is some years old. It shows, but in a charming rustic way.

Bazar's old stuff is never going out of style. But I seem to remember, some parts from their oldest collections is set to full bright. Yikes! It is best to turn your enviroment to midnight a few moments, so you can check it. Might be their "Toronto" sets, I am sure the bookshelves are full bright. @Tayt3rChip 😄

And not updated to Bento animations. But when I think, that some sets are close to ten years old, I have to be impressed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

If it is Zooby Animesh babies, I read another place on the forum that one needed 89 (!) Li. So twins would be almost 200 Li.

But Bellisseria has one big bonus, the house or boat does not count, so you can use all the 351 Li on babies and furniture.

I know I saw a few posts in the "Show off your Home" thread, but no one with twins. It is not empty houses, they look cozy. I see that the big corner sofa with blue stripes is from PrimPossible, and is 1 Li. The kitchen from DDD is 4 Li. One really need to hunt low Li furniture, but that thread has some tips.

This second link has several posts under it, for the same house. It also has 1 Li sofa furniture in the living room, I think. But what was this creator? PrimPossible or another super low Li store... I knew a name, but now I forgot it.

The sofa set is Prim possible.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Dekute Dekor is one of my favorite stores, but it is not inexpensive.  Sadly Bazar has closed it's inworld store, but last I looked the web page is still up.

I am not familiar with Dysfunctional Designs but I am gonna go check them out. Thank you.

• Like 2

Bazar and Lisp Bazaar are 2 different stores.

Bazar owned by Ria Bazar, the inworld mainstore where you can see and try: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/L A Dreams/66/171/22

Marketplace: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/55268

Lisp Bazaar owned by Pandora Popstar, marketplace only: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/37264

37 minutes ago, Teresa Firelight said:

Dekute Dekor is one of my favorite stores, but it is not inexpensive.  Sadly Bazar has closed it's inworld store, but last I looked the web page is still up.

I am not familiar with Dysfunctional Designs but I am gonna go check them out. Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

don't forget Laq Decor for low prim furniture. They didn't make much and the kitchen is a little heavy on prims but the dining table and chairs, sofa set, desk and armoir and bed and the toilet and sink unit are still some of nicest low land impact furniture you can get.

• Like 4

Hey all, I'm not sure how to reply to all of you simultaneously  so I am posting this reply in the hopes that you all see it.  I ended up trying to find different places that rented land on sl, and comparing prices. I ended up getting a small parcel that is 1296 msq and 988 prims for 599 lindens a week. I think it was a good price. Ended up getting the magnolia house by onsu, and then a close friend on mine on sl was kind enough to decorate it for me. The house itself is like 78 land impact. And all of the stores you guys recommended are really awesome. Now I can slowly acquire furniture for the  house. I believe that at a later date I may look into acquiring land through premiumship, but that is something  for another day. I wanted to thank each and everyone so much for replying to my thread and taking the time out to help me. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

don't forget Laq Decor for low prim furniture. They didn't make much and the kitchen is a little heavy on prims but the dining table and chairs, sofa set, desk and armoir and bed and the toilet and sink unit are still some of nicest low land impact furniture you can get.

The LAQ bathroom set is still my favorite. My bed from them is pretty good too. I think it's a modifiable country style. Even though it's not Bento, the animations in it are good and it includes options for sleeping under the covers.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

yes LAQ is great. I own almost everything they make furniture-wise and their kitchen is fantastic. It is a bit high on LI but it has amazing detail AND it has some fun animations.

• Like 3

On 1/21/2023 at 11:57 PM, Tayt3rChip said:

Hey all, I'm not sure how to reply to all of you simultaneously  so I am posting this reply in the hopes that you all see it.  I ended up trying to find different places that rented land on sl, and comparing prices. I ended up getting a small parcel that is 1296 msq and 988 prims for 599 lindens a week. I think it was a good price. Ended up getting the magnolia house by onsu, and then a close friend on mine on sl was kind enough to decorate it for me. The house itself is like 78 land impact. And all of the stores you guys recommended are really awesome. Now I can slowly acquire furniture for the  house. I believe that at a later date I may look into acquiring land through premiumship, but that is something  for another day. I wanted to thank each and everyone so much for replying to my thread and taking the time out to help me. 

Oh, how could I forget Apple Fall!! They are low land impact, lots of fine decor. Their things will look amazing in the Onsu house. Fancy Decor and Aria is more modern.

Apple Fall and Fancy Decor is often in the weekend sales. Look up Seraphimsl.com every Friday and Saturday for 50 L Friday, The Saturday Sale and the Happy Weekend sale. It is lots of other weekend sales too. One can spend the whole weekend shopping.

Another store that's often in the weekend sale, is Nutmeg. The things can be more Li heavy. Both stores can have 50% off sales. Nutmeg just had a sale on everything to celebrate the rebuild of the store. I bought the Industrial shelf there 6 hours ago. Some stores keep the offer up the whole Monday. (And some Tuesday too) It is worth looking.

Nutmeg, Merak, Kazza, Zerkalo, Black Sand, Wrong, Concept, Kraftwork... I am sure I forget some more stores that had weekend offers now. Happy Weekend has a facebook album every weekend, I think the pictures there are easier to see than in Seraphimsl.com.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.6158908687508172&type=3

Inspect things before you buy. I am so used to 1-2 Li rugs, and suddenly it is a 10+ Li rug for sale. Curtains can use a lot of Li too.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Oh, how could I forget Apple Fall!! They are low land impact, lots of fine decor. Their things will look amazing in the Onsu house. Fancy Decor and Aria is more modern.

Apple Fall and Fancy Decor is often in the weekend sales. Look up Seraphimsl.com every Friday and Saturday for 50 L Friday, The Saturday Sale and the Happy Weekend sale. It is lots of other weekend sales too. One can spend the whole weekend shopping.

Another store that's often in the weekend sale, is Nutmeg. The things can be more Li heavy. Both stores can have 50% off sales. Nutmeg just had a sale on everything to celebrate the rebuild of the store. I bought the Industrial shelf there 6 hours ago. Some stores keep the offer up the whole Monday. (And some Tuesday too) It is worth looking.

Nutmeg, Merak, Kazza, Zerkalo, Black Sand, Wrong, Concept, Kraftwork... I am sure I forget some more stores that had weekend offers now. Happy Weekend has a facebook album every weekend, I think the pictures there are easier to see than in Seraphimsl.com.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.6158908687508172&type=3

Inspect things before you buy. I am so used to 1-2 Li rugs, and suddenly it is a 10+ Li rug for sale. Curtains can use a lot of Li too.

You are awesome thank you so much , I really appreciate it 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2023 at 4:59 PM, Tayt3rChip said:

Hey all, 

I'm very new to anything land related on sl and was looking for some advice on what could work for me. On sl I currently enjoy making friends, family style rp , exploring, flying, shopping and taking snapshots... I really want to have second life home , but I'm unsure of that is the best way to go about it. I'm hoping this is a good forum to ask for help. My main goals are having a compact family style house for me and my future  zooby  twins. I'm ideally  looking for something that resembles a traditional house/ farmhouse/ cottage.  The issue is I don't know if it would be better to get a skybox, get a premium account and get a linden home or perhaps linden land (seems complex), or rent  or buy. I am basically confusion at the moment?! A linden home seems interesting but I heard there are many restrictions.And there's also the fact that I have  0 furniture in my inventory. I did see somewhere you can pay someone on sl to decorate for you .. but I dont know where to even begin looking for those people. I searched on classifieds to no avail. I dont mind investing some money towards this but I'm just a bit lost into which direction to go, and getting land a house and  all the furniture in one go seems  like too much. Looking for suggestions as to which direction to go in. Tnx in advance !!

There are restrictions on the Linden Home but it is a good way to start out with a ready-made, landscaped place where you can begin to get familiar with how SL works. I'm glad you went with a rental, because I think that's an even better way so that you don't have a recurring account fee every month but only rent, and can leave any time in theory (some but not all are refundable but you can always leave at the end of the time) -- and likely have more prims than on the Linden home (351) - although some people find it's hard to get the Linden Home filled up especially the ones with multiple rooms.

There are some furnished rentals; I and others have them. But decorating yourself is also fun. Practically every store that sells furniture and decor has free group gifts -- some groups are free to join, such as Apple Fall, which has some group gifts and $0 items scattered around the store; you can also look at the weekend sales which is a very good way to decorate your home cheaply, so go to places like Black.Sand or Kraftwork or Bricolage or Fancy Decor or  zerkalo, listed on shopping sites like seraphimsl.com or with lists available from groups like Access or 30L Saturday, etc. and then you can get some amazing stuff.

There is a long-time place called Free Dove whose owner sadly died in RL recently but it is still up, I don't know for how long. You really can go very far in SL with freebies and group gifts and weekend sales. 

Onsu is a good, versatile, spacious and relatively low-prim house creator; also look at [ba], Scarlet Creative, what's next, Nomad, and others for relatively low cost and low prim. Then you may want to look at skyboxes which you will place up in the sky for privacy, and here there's even more variety, from Varonis, Shultz Brothers, DaD, llorisen, and others -- again weekend sales are a way to discover all these brands and their options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

There are restrictions on the Linden Home but it is a good way to start out with a ready-made, landscaped place where you can begin to get familiar with how SL works. I'm glad you went with a rental, because I think that's an even better way so that you don't have a recurring account fee every month but only rent, and can leave any time in theory (some but not all are refundable but you can always leave at the end of the time) -- and likely have more prims than on the Linden home (351) - although some people find it's hard to get the Linden Home filled up especially the ones with multiple rooms.

There are some furnished rentals; I and others have them. But decorating yourself is also fun. Practically every store that sells furniture and decor has free group gifts -- some groups are free to join, such as Apple Fall, which has some group gifts and $0 items scattered around the store; you can also look at the weekend sales which is a very good way to decorate your home cheaply, so go to places like Black.Sand or Kraftwork or Bricolage or Fancy Decor or  zerkalo, listed on shopping sites like seraphimsl.com or with lists available from groups like Access or 30L Saturday, etc. and then you can get some amazing stuff.

There is a long-time place called Free Dove whose owner sadly died in RL recently but it is still up, I don't know for how long. You really can go very far in SL with freebies and group gifts and weekend sales. 

Onsu is a good, versatile, spacious and relatively low-prim house creator; also look at [ba], Scarlet Creative, what's next, Nomad, and others for relatively low cost and low prim. Then you may want to look at skyboxes which you will place up in the sky for privacy, and here there's even more variety, from Varonis, Shultz Brothers, DaD, llorisen, and others -- again weekend sales are a way to discover all these brands and their options.

Thank you so much for your advice on this, I have been enjoying and getting the feel for my current place. I will try and check out the places and things you mentioned. This is very helpful. At the moment I'm taking a shopping break whilst I organise my inventory and decide which direction I want to go in. Excited to check out all that you mentioned though !! 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 449 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.