CPU: AMD 3D V-Cache or higher clock speed?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

higher clock on a single core.

After a certain AMD update, performance became less on AMD's with SL. I believe its AMD's end, I still haven't found settings to fix it and feel its from the firmware / driver changes they made 6 months ago that stick with each new one. I have no issues like that on my Intel based where i get much higher performance with equal or less than GPUS. 

• 11 months later...

You need to turn of vsync in manage 3d settings and in also the fire storm viewer and also turn off  freesync and G-sync With those enabled you fps will be that of the monitors refresh rate.

Assuming you have a 200 htz monitor

3600 ram or faster and a 3800X3D along with a rtx 3060 3070 4060 4070 U can expect 200 fps in busy sims and 380 in not busy sims.

Viewer at half settings with atmospheric shaders and advanced lighting off in game menu.

Definition of vsync bellow

VSync, short for vertical synchronization, is a graphics technology designed to sync a game’s frame rate with the refresh rate of a gaming monitor. 

On 1/18/2023 at 8:45 PM, xDancingStarx said:

Does SL benefit from a CPU like the 5800X3D and the upcoming X3D CPUs or would you just go for the highest clock speed? Obviously some games benefit from the V-Cache and some games don't.. any opinions? (no GPU bottleneck assumed)

This was discussed here previously and the general consensus seemed to be that SecondLife doesn't make use of the extra cache.

(I have a 7800X3D, but I also play other games that benefit from it).

Edited by filz Camino
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 9:42 PM, TheBenchmarker said:

Owner of a 5800X3D here, It doesn't help SL at all. Runs almost identically to my 3800x.

THIS is precisely why I haven't moved on from my trusty 5600x. It still has one of the fastest single core speeds in this generation, and if/when I upgrade, it will probably be to AM5 down the road, but that's not anytime soon.

• Like 1