Make prims great again …

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 460 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm on board with this idea

,~"""~.
  ,-/ MaPGA \-.
.' '`._____.'` `.  hjw
`-._         _,-'
    `--...--'

__,--~--._
     ,-;;;;   `;;;`\
    /;;;;;      ;;;;`\
  /;;;;;;        ;;_; \
 /;;;;;;         |;|;; |
(;;;;;;       MaPGA ;;;|   -Revell-
 `\_,;;             ;_,`\
    `\___,-----'~~~~~    `\
       \                   )
        `\.__             /'
             `~~~~------~~

I'm also going to sell these hats while we are at it 🙃

Source:

https://www.asciiart.eu/clothing-and-accessories/hats

Edited by Istelathis
new hat models, and source
  • Like 2

I would love to see them become great again. I use them every chance i get or when a hole needs plugged or really lots of things.. I used to make so much fun projects with them and builds and all kinds of stuff really.. It would be nice to see them come back in that way too..

• Like 8

Absolutely.

I tend to get them for free anyway... by linking them to some mesh that has a high download cost but low server cost. I hate to think what my dungeon would be if I didn't do that!

Most of it is prim built despite that I could easily mesh it all, simply for the above reason of saving LI.

I have ten large mesh objects, 15LI each on download cost. That's 150 LI. Linked to them are 213 prims. Total LI is 165, so those 213 prims that comprise most of the build only cost me 15 LI.

You learn to do things like that when you live on a slice of Homestead :D

Edited by Rick Daylight
  • Like 3

I personally love to use prims to build. Best of SL is to build interactively.

But prims can hold much more information that need to be processed.

Bad of mesh is that they need to be created off-world, but they CAN be extremely optimized to save computing resources.

Back in 2010 I made a vehicle with 28 prims. Vehicles (or part of them) are physical.

Nowadays the edit window can show the DETAILED (real) cost of every prim used, and so the updated "cost" (server weight) of my old vehicle jumped over 450 land impact (!!). Modifying the physics properties I optimized it back to 28 land impact.

The current way to calculate the cost of prims is accurate. Some prims can be very very expensive.

Prims and Meshes are like programming languages interpreted and compiled.

The firsts are best for learning and interactive development. But after development is completed would be best to convert all of them to mesh.

This could be made an automated process so after the object leave the creator, it is already optimized for performance.

Edited by 2Tessa
  • Like 3

Sounds good (as long as it doesn't apply to any linkset containing flexi-prims).

Making prims more useful and encouraging people to make better use of them may even improve the visual quality of SL since at least prims don't devolve into random floating triangles at lower LODs.

I still say that if LL really want to revitalize in-world creativity they should be looking into implementing voxels for both building and terraforming...

image.gif.356796a7e791ead5dcf9b83a2e9019b3.gif

...but since that's never going to happen I guess I'd take cheaper prims as a consolation prize.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Why this specific exclusion?

Because I'm mean and I don't want people to have nice things! :P 

...and also because flexi-prims have far more impact on performance than regular prims so allowing people to potentially rez 10x as many would be a really bad idea.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Because I'm mean and I don't want people to have nice things! :P 

...and also because flexi-prims have far more impact on performance than regular prims so allowing people to potentially rez 10x as many would be a really bad idea.

Ooh, hokay, 'cause flexi-hair was teh best!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ooh, hokay, 'cause flexi-hair was teh best!

Flexi-prims can be pretty effective for some stuff, but I wouldn't trade my favourite mesh hair for all the flexi-hair on the asset server!

Anyway, since LI calculations don't impact attached objects it's not like the proposed changes would have allowed you to wear ten times as much flexi-hair. :P 

Please don't. There are enough ugly prim monster blocks already that people use to raise their builds.

(I'm just realizing that you don't suggest to make them free in general, just reduce link sets impact. Wanted to delete my post but apparently can't)

Edited by xDancingStarx

26 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

How about, if we limit the "free prims" concept to maybe not include megaprims?

Although a hypercube maze made of megaprims at 1LI total would be cool!

While staying at the current biggest we can make? Deal!

I still have a bunch of Mega prims and I think I still have  my huds and things to get them delivered.. I think those still work  too partially.. I tried them I wanna say back when I was cleaning my inventory back in like April..

I reeeeaally miss my 1024 sphere though that I used to rezz above my sim.. That was so cool being inside that one and putting up wild textures that would just change the world into something really wild..  This oen just looked like the whole world was on fire.. hehehe

I had a half sphere that covered the same amount of area  that I would  use for a sim surround and it just made things feel really wild.. It made windlight a lot more fun too.

7226899248_7859fcff73_b.jpg

7226867752_5721a3fb4d_b.jpg

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 460 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.