Newest Firestorm build gets my fans going LOUD

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 405 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just updated this morning and my goodness, I don't know what's happened but the newest FS build cranks the fans on immediately after I appear in world and keeps them going full tilt. Never happened before, even in crowded places it was only infrequently, and I've not changed any settings at all, so anyone have any idea how to stop that?

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
spelling, grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Just updated this morning and my goodness, I don't know what's happened but the newest FS build cranks the fans on immediately and keeps them going full tilt. Never happened before, even in crowded places it was only slight, and I've not changed any settings at all, so anyone have any idea how to stop that?

The fans going loud aren't because of anything firestorm did specifically - they don't have code to "make fast go spinny"

The GPU is being used more, this is good, this is generating more heat and the GPU is ramping up the cooling. 

This is normal, your GPU is designed to run hot .. right up to running with the fans at full tilt for days .. weeks even.

If you have a desktop PC, it's time to look at case air flow. Maybe add some case fans to pull more cool air into your case rather than having the GPU rebreathing it's own warm air. This will result in a quieter computer.

Case fans are easy to install and plug directly into the motherboard.

If you already have case fans, maybe time to give things a clean - dust buildup is bad for airflow and helps keep the heat in the box .. with your GPU.

Edited by Coffee Pancake
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The fans going loud aren't because of anything firestorm did specifically - they don't have code to "make fast go spinny"

The GPU is being used more, this is good, this is generating more heat and the GPU is ramping up the cooling. 

This is normal, your GPU is designed to run hot .. right up to running with the fans at full tilt for days .. weeks even.

If you have a desktop PC, it's time to look at case air flow. Maybe add some case fans to pull more cool air into your case rather than having the GPU rebreathing it's own warm air. This will result in a quieter computer.

Case fans are easy to install and plug directly into the motherboard.

If you already have case fans, maybe time to give things a clean - dust buildup is bad for airflow and helps keep the heat in the box .. with your GPU.

But, if a recent update is making her GPU use more resources now, and it needs fans at full tilt - but did not before, isn't checking her graphics settings still a good idea?

If her graphics settings are "unnecessarily" or "unreasonably" high, and the newest updates are actually using those settings..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Pre-built Dell gaming rig from a few years ago with the 3070 card in it, not sure I can add more fans?

Yes you very likely can .. and at the very least, time to take it outside, open the case and spray some canned air inside over everything and get the dust out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It also can be useful to keep an eye on the task manager, you can see what is going on at a glance, how much CPU you are using, memory, and of course, he GPU, how hard it is working and the amount of vram  memory it is using. If the GPU fans ae running at full speed, take note of the GPU temp - that can also be an early indicator it is time to get in there and de-dust the system

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

So, I went back to the older version because of the fans spinning LOUD on my computer. My computer is clean, no dust. And is very quiet because I built it that way.

If it's me and the OP experiencing the same problem, then there are probably others.

I've lowered the FPS to 45, but I have no idea where V-sync is, so I probably have that set at default.

Next time I have to upgrade Firestorm to a newer version (I'm sticking to the older quiet version for now), then I'll see if the FPS 45 has made a difference, but right now the older version will do for me, because it's practically silent on my computer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 405 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.