Problem with Baked Texture on Mesh looking EXTREMELY different

Raena Parx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 402 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello. I'm fairly new to Blender, but have been playing with procedural textures and having a lot of fun.  The problem is I get the object looking beautiful in the material preview, but then when going into rendered preview, it changes drastically. I have to add lighting and a white plane under it to get it light enough to even show up.  THEN...I bake it, and save the baked image.  And when I apply the baked texture in Secondlife it looks even MORE different. And that's IF I can even get the textures to align when I apply them.

In addition, my texture may or may not align when I apply them to the object in SecondLife.  Any time I make a change to the structure of the object I "apply all transformations", then recreate a Smart UV map, then bake the texture, then while the same exact objects are selected I export to .dae.  Is there something I'm missing?

Can someone please tell me..

1.  A technique to keep consistency from what I made in blender to what it looks like in Secondlife. (Picture attached)

2.  Why is it that half the time when I apply the baked texture, it's out of alignment? 

Any help is appreciated.  Thank you in advance :)

stool bake previews.jpg

• Confused 1

Reflections like what you're seeing in the material preview mode depend on your camera angle and environment.

The rendered preview mode has a different environment, so it looks different.

The baked texture also looks different for the same reasons. You also lose realtime reflections when you bake a texture, since you're basically turning everything to a static image.

5 hours ago, Raena Parx said:

Can someone please tell me..

1.  A technique to keep consistency from what I made in blender to what it looks like in Secondlife.

We gotta wait for the upcoming PBR update for SL.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Michely, I just saw your message. Sorry for the delay. Thank you for your help. I do have Atmospheric shaders on.  The only ambient occlusion setting I'm seeing in the sl preferences is for Sky. When I enable that, my video becomes very choppy, so I usually leave it off.  Was there's somewhere else I should be looking?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Graphics preferences settings

To enable or change your lighting and shadows settings:

Choose Me > Preferences.

Click the Graphics tab.

Click Advanced.

Check Atmospheric shaders (under Shaders) and Hardware skinning (under Avatar Rendering).

Note: In general, enabling lighting and shadows lowers the frame-rate somewhat; by default the feature is disabled on hardware where the typical frame-rate would be decreased below 10FPS.

When Atmospheric shaders is enabled, if your system supports it, you can then enable:

Lighting and Shadows

Ambient Occlusion

Shadows

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 402 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.