How to find ' invisible ' prims/objects

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 437 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello lovely forum folks    it has been awhile since I have taken a real intrest in SL   but the sl bug has caught me again    bits are slowly resurfing in my brain except one thing    I remember there being a way of finding invisible prims/objects   on your land  I have forgotten how to do this as it has been a good few years  since playing      Could one of you kindly remind  me how to this    

Many thanks in advance  😘

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ctrl-Alt-T shows "Transparent" objects.

I'm often wrong and if so, someone will correct me. 

It does, but it also shows visible objects that have any kind of alpha blending (red) or alpha masking (blue) on them. So it's often hard to find the true invisible things amongst the sea of other red and blue.

Another way is using Firestorm. If you know the name of the missing object, you can do area search, and use the Beacon feature to pinpoint where it actualy is (follow the axis lines intil you find where they meet).

As a last resort, all you can really do is just return everything, and start over. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I run around until I trip over or into something I can't see..  It takes longer but it's a lot more fun..

hehehe

Ya, it's ctrl alt T :)

Another is to go to land  in the objects section and choose show all, plus what Maitimo said too.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Maitimo said:

If you know the name of the missing object, you can do area search, and use the Beacon feature to pinpoint where it actualy is (follow the axis lines intil you find where they meet).

As a last resort, all you can really do is just return everything, and start over. 

The OP only specified "invisible", not "missing".  That's why I provided the Ctrl-Alt-T answer! 

I totally agree - missing= Area Search!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It shows textures with an active alpha component.

zIu8OTN.png

Red for blended, blue for masked (much faster to render), butt ( and as usual, it's a real 🍑 ), because the texture used to show alpha is not uniform it's possible to make an alpha object that is exceedingly hard to find even if it's quite large and in your face.

ovM77rU.png

Make the object tiny and finding them visually becomes improbable, if they are in motion and tiny and hidden, impossible.

Beacons can help to show an object that is active in some way.

Another good way is to enter edit mode with CTRL+3 and then drag select in the area you think the tiny invisible thing might be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just to add to the possible solutions, if the object says anything in local chat, and is not moving, you can touch its name and select "map" from the popup,  which should make a red and blue pillar approximately (within 1 meter of) where the object is. It's rather situational though. Also it doesn't work if your avatar is within 1 meter of the object.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 437 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.