Lost half of my inventory in SL Viewer2

June Jurack

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4691 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I lost about 15,000 items from my inventory. The folders are there but completely empty.
I am a designer and a builder and i am losing a important part of my work since 2007.
How can this happen? My viewer is Second Life Viewer 2.
Logging in Smith and emptying the cache didn't resolve.
Someone can help me to complain to LL? I can not access the "support ticket".

5 answers to this question

You may have more luck if you clear your cache manually. With Second Life closed, go to the appropriate pathway and delete all the files inside the "cache" folder.  (You may want to relocate any file of cached chat logs first.)

• Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\SecondLife\cache
  • Windows Vista - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\cache
  • Windows Vista Home Premium - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\browser_profile\cache
  • Windows 7 - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\browser_profile\Cache
  • Windows 7 - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\SecondLife\ (Viewer version 1.23.5 (136262))
  • Mac - /Users/<username>/Library/Caches/SecondLife
  • Linux - ~/.secondlife/cache

Then log in a Smith or Pooley and jump start a rebuild of your cached inventory by opening inventory and typing any letter in the search field.  This will take a while, so be patient.  Don't do anything else until it is completely finished.  That should recover your missing items. If it doesn't, then it's time to file a support ticket at https://support.secondlife.com/create-case/ .

• Like 1

Well stated Rolig.  Finally someone made the distinction about the cache located at the:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife

As long as you go the one folder deeper to the \BrowserProfile you are safe to delete any file in that folder.  But you cannot delete the contents of the files by the path I just gave.

A further note.  Viewer 2 is not the source of the problem.  The viewer (any viewer) is nothing more than a specialized browser and cannot effect anything stored on the LL servers.  It's not at all uncommon for content in anyone's inventory to appear to go missing if those items (textures, objects, whatever) have not been accessed for a period of time.  The servers have a finite data storage capacity......unused or seldom used content will eventually be archived and moved off the asset servers.  It can sometimes take a substanially long time to load (or appear not to exist at all).  You've got to realize the enormous amount of storage space necessary for all the content that has been uploaded or created in SL.  It's amazing that LL does not actually loose much content (yes, they occassionally do..........but that's computers.  It happens.).

Thanks, Peggy. I agree that V2 is probably not the source of the problem, but it could be. The items that we each "own" in SL are recorded in LL's asset servers, but to save execution time our viewers use a copy that is cached locally on our own computers. It is possible for those locally cached copies to become corrupted or otherwise out of sync with the originals in the asset servers, so that items appear to be missing. Clearing cache effectively rebuilds the local copy and gets everything back in sync again. The reason I say that V2 might be a source of the problem is that the V2 code base viewers handle inventory differently from V1 codebase viewers (it's the outfits, among other things), so it's not uncommon for people to have asset issues if they switch back and forth between V1 and V2 viewers. I think it's possible, therefore, that this could contribute to problems like the OP's.

Yeah, but getting that through to people is something else.......as I know you know. I just wanted to point out the very important difference in the path you gave to the browser cache over the path a couple others have been giving lately. I've tried to politely state the difference but it evidently hasn't sunk in to at least one poster here.

Moving one of the cache locations if you are using both V2 and V1 based viewers seems to solve the caching issue......but again, how does anyone get that through to people who are intent on blaming LL for all their problems?

Keep up the great responses.............I've learned so much from you over the years. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4691 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.