Anti consumer practices from vendors

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

22 hours ago, JulsToffy said:

What a great thread, very interesting to read so many insights. I agree that the latest trend in product presentation on out-of-sl examples is rampant and I hope it diminishes. 

There is one question I want to ask of the people here, or rather throw in my two cents. Would you consider selling items by colour an anti-consumer practice? I tend to avoid shops that do that, unless each colour has something unique to it or comes in several colour packs at least for some variety (like, a pack of pastels, a pack of plains, a pack of florals, etc.). But is it anti-consumer or a necessity because each texture is lindens spent to upload it... Regardless, I usually shop where stores often HUDs and sell fatpacks right away without splitting items into a whole rainbow. I definitely wish more creators did that but I guess I understand if it is necessary.

I don't mind stores that sell single colors; I only mind what people were talking about above: for example, the ad shows a cute dress with a contrasting belt, because it looks way better with a contrasting belt, but when you demo, you can't tell if the belt is changeable on the single version. So you buy the single version and it looks worse than the ad because it's all the same color. 

I'm willing to buy the fatpack to change that belt if I like the item enough, but just actually tell me! :D Some stores have fine print on the ad that tells you what changes on the single; some include the single hud in the demo. Both are fine.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I was thinking the same about NUX.  Get a halfway decent avatar and some stuff and then go out and about and see what this world called SL is.  

I think Gacha changed the SL world into mesh things more than anything, especially when the items were being sold for super cheap on the resale market.  Now, most want mesh, except one place I do hang out mostly, which is Raglan Shire.  It still pretty much looks the same as it did 18 years ago.  It has little to almost no mesh.  I'm not even sure if the Shire has many sculpties even.  They don't want to change it because it is for everyone to build with non-mesh, non-sculpty stuff.  It's to build for fun, not perfection like mesh.

The second you get out of the start up area I came in last.. It's almost like a spam overload of , Update your avatar for free spam adds..

The last time I went through, it wasn't even a linden start up area it was some users sims.. As soon as I walked over the bridge and out of the start area it was just a bunch of free stuff that hardly any of it works together.. Free mesh body free mesh head, here is a link to the MP, here is a link to this store.. 

To find a path that would work to make an avatar for a new users would be like finding a needle in two haystacks.. lol

Honestly, if they are going to let users have startup areas, they need some serious standards that the users need to keep with.. It all felt like some guy at a carnival saying , right this way, we'll get you set right up.. just really bad and made me see just how much LL  just let that go so bad in the wrong direction..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Do we pronounce it, "Nukes"?

Well, I read it as a mashup of Nox (darkness) and Lux (lightness) - so basically just Lux but with an n instead of the l. 

But then, I've heard 'Muricans pronouncing 'Lux' like we'd say 'Lax' (salmon), so I'm not sure how descriptive that is. I've also heard people say 'Lohx' (which supposedly is the 'correct' Latin pronunciation). 

The way I pronounce Lux is a bit like how I'd imagine someone might say 'lucks' (Swenglish for hatches - en lucka, flera luckor, some lucks), but the way we pronounce lucka sounds nothing like the English word 'luck' (again with making the u sound like an a, you guys - the way luck is pronounced in English is how we say 'lack', which means 'lacquer').

"Look, undead!"
   "You mean a dead."
   "What?"
   "It's 'a dead', not 'an dead'!" 

Sometimes I wonder why the English language even bothers with u's when no one seems to know how they're pronounced! 

But when there's no u's to be seen, then people suddenly can pronounce it. "Stepping away for a fju:!"

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Well, I read it as a mashup of Nox (darkness) and Lux (lightness) - so basically just Lux but with an n instead of the l. 

But then, I've heard 'Muricans pronouncing 'Lux' like we'd say 'Lax' (salmon), so I'm not sure how descriptive that is. I've also heard people say 'Lohx' (which supposedly is the 'correct' Latin pronunciation). 

The way I pronounce Lux is a bit like how I'd imagine someone might say 'lucks' (Swenglish for hatches - en lucka, flera luckor, some lucks), but the way we pronounce lucka sounds nothing like the English word 'luck' (again with making the u sound like an a, you guys - the way luck is pronounced in English is how we say 'lack', which means 'lacquer').

"Look, undead!"
   "You mean a dead."
   "What?"
   "It's 'a dead', not 'an dead'!" 

Sometimes I wonder why the English language even bothers with u's when no one seems to know how they're pronounced! 

But when there's no u's to be seen, then people suddenly can pronounce it. "Stepping away for a fju:!"

I forgot, "Lax", as in "Lakshmi"!

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I forgot, "Lax", as in "Lakshmi"!

But funnily, since the Swedish word for salmon is sometimes used in English, such as when talking about gravad lax - then they instead say 'lox'!

Edited by Orwar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Orwar said:

But funnily, since the Swedish word for salmon is sometimes used in English, such as when talking about gravad lax - then they instead say 'lox'!

Before most Americans have heard of - (what I heard called ) "gravlox", we've heard of "lox" in the context of "lox and a bagel with cream cheese".

56 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yes but, does that imply "Nukes" is the way you'd say it?

Not to me.  I've been pronouncing NUX in my head like it rhymes with Tux.  So, I guess what I hear in my head is more like Nucks but it needs an s.  

As far as the topic of anti consumer practices, one of the things that is really cringe-worthy is when you arrive at a shopping sim and the greeter and notecard is like a police officer saying "if you steal my stuff I will find you" kind of thing.  I'm not too keen on being treated like I came to your store to copybot your stuff which is something I'd never do as I have friends here worth way more than copybotting ever could imagine.  However, I just deal with it and have still bought items even with that kind of greeting.   But, that is one of the things that has bothered me and I find a bit off putting.  Copybotters I can't stand either but I wouldn't greet others this way in my mall stores.  

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/16/2023 at 1:04 AM, Coffee Pancake said:

They have given (some) merchants such power that even when there are independent blogs, there is always the assumption that the bloggers are untrusted and only in it for the freebies .. which is probably correct as actually buying and reviewing would be prohibitively expensive outside of certain niches.

Brainfart moment: Start blogging and work on a donation model for unbiased reviews and reject gifts? Like some form of patreon model.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Not to me.  I've been pronouncing NUX in my head like it rhymes with Tux.  So, I guess what I hear in my head is more like Nucks but it needs an s.  

As far as the topic of anti consumer practices, one of the things that is really cringe-worthy is when you arrive at a shopping sim and the greeter and notecard is like a police officer saying "if you steal my stuff I will find you" kind of thing.  I'm not too keen on being treated like I came to your store to copybot your stuff which is something I'd never do as I have friends here worth way more than copybotting ever could imagine.  However, I just deal with it and have still bought items even with that kind of greeting.   But, that is one of the things that has bothered me and I find a bit off putting.  Copybotters I can't stand either but I wouldn't greet others this way in my mall stores.  

I don't run into those too much anymore.. It's usually older store.. There was that time period where it was pretty common to see..

I kind of get more of a feeling like it's out of date than really anything else.. Might as well move on, probably only standard mesh here! Don't want to end up on some networked ban list or something..  hehehe

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.