Age verification using Credit Card information

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4108 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dear Linden Labs,

I live in the Netherlands, and have friends with sims only accessible with age verification. Your system for age verification based on documents seems not to work for Europe. Please add the possibility of age verification using "credit card" ownership. In europe it is not possible to have one without being 18+.

Kind regards,

BozoQed 

BozoQED Darwin wrote:

Dear Linden Labs,

I live in the Netherlands, and have friends with sims only accessible with age verification. Your system for age verification based on documents seems not to work for Europe. Please add the possibility of age verification using "credit card" ownership. In europe it is not possible to have one without being 18+.

LL already has "age verification" via credit card.  That's how I am considered an adult by LL.  

I never got the "age verification" system to work for me...Aristotle or whatever it's called.  (I live in the US)   Also, I was not interested in sending copies of my RL drivers license or birth certificate.  

But, I did not have to, as I just put a credit card on file as payment information, and Voila!  I'm considered age verified.  ; )

That works for parcels set to adult.........but if the owner of the parcel also went the additional step and set the access to "age verified" that won't work.  Using a credit card (or any accepted payment method) will allow you to enter all parcels except the parcels are that specifically set to "age verified".  If that's the issue for the OP they must either manually age verify through LL directly or use the Aristotle/Integrity system (the "auto" method that seems to have failed).

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

That works for parcels set to adult.........but if the owner of the parcel also went the additional step and set the access to "age verified" that won't work.  Using a credit card (or any accepted payment method) will allow you to enter all parcels except the parcels are that specifically set to "age verified".  If that's the issue for the OP they must either manually age verify through LL directly or use the Aristotle/Integrity system (the "auto" method that seems to have failed).

Peggy, as soon as I added my credit card information on file with LL, I and have never encountered a place that I could not enter...due to an "age verification" issue.      Do you know of such a place?  (one that has access set to "age verified"?)  I'm interested to see if I could get in. 

LL did a terrible job setting up age verification in SL.

There are two ways to "Age verify" in SL. One is to go through Aristotle's identity verification, where you provide your SSN, driverse license, etcetera to prove you are who you say you are.

The second is to simply provide a payment method with LL and use it once to purcahse some in-world money (As little as a couple dollars' worth).

Prior to age restrictions in SL, LL gave land owners the ability to restrict people based on account age and whether they had payment information on file with LL. When age restrictions were added, LL added a misnamed feature to require "age verification", but what it really means is that they require Aristotle's identity verification.

So, a parcel can actually be restricted by either. Artistotle identity verificaion, payment method, or both in addition to the rating of the sim.

Confusion came in to how LL implemented adult content requirements. A lot of people still believe they can have adult land in moderate rated sims if they set the parcel to adult. This is false, but people do it. A lot.

Some people think they're required to set the "admit only age verified" feature even when in an already adult rated sim, This is also false.

Thankfully, no place that makes these mistakes is actually worth visiting in SL. There's plenty of content out there utilizing the basic adult verification features without the additional layers of unecessary restrictions on top.

The whole system of adult content restriction is confusing in my opinion and questions about this keep returning. A lot of residents don't realize there is a difference between being "age verified" and "account verified". If you have payment info on file you are account verified, but you are NOT age verified.

Payment info on file -> account verified -> access to adult regions in the Zindra continent

Age verification (either manual or automated) -> age verified -> access to adult regions in the Zindra continent + access to land that has been restricted to age verified residents

Landowners can restrict their parcel to age verified only residents regardless of whether it's PG, Mature or Adult. So age verification doesn't have anything to do with adult content per se.

I've personally never come across parcels that were age restricted. If you care at all about your traffic, it'd be extremely foolish to exclude non-verified individuals in my opinion. A lot of residents would have to go through the manual procedure in order to get verified.

• 2 weeks later...

how it works is this..

you have account verified  and age verified..to be totally verified you would need both ..

in other words ..if you are account verified you are not age verified...

but you could enter some adult  sims unless  they have the sims set to age verified..

here is a link that may help for those that may not understand how it all works =)

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Account-verification-types/ta-p/805983

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4108 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.