what is this?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 442 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I had a lot of items in my inventory to open.  So i was opening many things.  I dragged this to the ground.  And this is what i saw. 

What is this?  I did not open it.  Again...  I did not open this.  I only took a screen shot of what i saw to post here.  I do not wish to let anyone have access to my lindens on sl.  And I have no idea how this got into my inventory.

I did put the item in my trash.  And I did look under edit mode to see who the owner or creator was so i could write to them and tell them i was not interested.  And i wished to block the owner creator of this item.  But i didn't see anything listed on the 'general' tab in 'edit' mode.

Before I put it in trash i simply closed out window.  I didn't trust the buttons on it that say allow or deny.

I also sent 'caspervend' a notecard asking if there is any further action that should be taken.

Any ideas what this is?

thank you

WHAT IS THIS.png

Edited by Sandra8675

34 minutes ago, Sandra8675 said:

I dragged this to the ground.  And this is what i saw. 

What is this?  I did not open it. 

This is a money debit/credit permission request for a scripted item: you do not need to ”Open” such a scripted item to be asked for this permission.

Vendor items are of course using this permission so that their script can work, and from your screenshot, this is a Capservend vendor, so it is not surprising at all that it asks for this kind of permission.

And I have no idea how this got into my inventory.

This is the problem, and if it is not a vendor you bought, you should indeed be wary about such objects: a griefer could just as well send you a scripted object disguised as a well known vendor and steal your money as soon as you give it permission.

So, your reaction was quite suitable if you don't know where or from whom this object came from.

And I did look under edit mode to see who the owner or creator was so i could write to them and tell them i was not interested.  And i wished to block the owner creator of this item.  But i didn't see anything listed on the 'general' tab in 'edit' mode.

You cannot see the objects properties with the Edit tools floater when this object is no-modify (like this one) and you are not its creator.

To see an object's creator for an item in your Inventory, use the ”Properties” entry in the context menu for the inventory item in question.

To see it for a rezzed object, use the ”Inspect” entry in the context/pie menu for that object.

Before I put it in trash i simply closed out window. I didn't trust the buttons on it that say allow or deny.

This is a viewer-side permission dialog (it is orange in v1 viewers to easily distinguish it from blue menus of scripted objects; v2+ viewers menus are much less explicit in this respect). It is safe to ”Deny” it, but closing it works the same.

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sandra8675 said:

Ty Henri for all the info...  I will look under properties as i do wish to block this person/ creator or whoever it was that sent this to me.

Note that the ”creator” of an item/object might not be the person to hold responsible (a mod-ok object could be modified by a griefer, made no-mod, and sent to you, and the creator name won't change, even if the original object was perfectly safe and legit while the modified object sent to you is nefarious): the ”last owner”, on the other hand, is definitely the field to look at since this is the person who sent you that object.

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

Note that the ”creator” of an item/object might not be the person to hold responsible (a mod-ok object could be modified by a griefer, made no-mod, and sent to you, and the creator name won't change, even if the original object was perfectly safe and legit while the modified object sent to you is nefarious): the ”last owner”, on the other hand, is definitely the field to look at since this is the person who sent you that object.

i am not seeing the name of the person who sent me the item.  I had issue finding any info under properties.  Is it possible for u to post a screenshot so i can make sure im looking in the right place?  ty

Update...  I did find out on discord that a creator who had an advent calendar out had this 'system' on one of the prizes.  On the advent there were clothes, gift cards and this casper system that stressed me out.  So i'm simply deleting the gift cards because i have so much already.  and i already opened the clothes which seem fine.  but i may delete those also.  i will see how i feel about it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 442 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.