Searchable text (or notecards) ?

Sire Sands

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 464 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There are many text documents and notecards used in Libraries in Second Life, museums etc.

There are free ebooks in text in libraries, but we cannot search them the contents. We cannot even search card titles :(...

I'm looking for a solution to how to search notecards or text documents in SL. I'd like the contents on a notecard to be searchable, and results from a search links to the notecards.

Any help appreciated... see also, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libraries_in_virtual_worlds

Sire Sands (Michael Stardust)

If you have a notecard open, you can press ctrl-f to search for text inside of it.

If you have a lot of notecards and you want to, for example, pick out which ones have the word "shakespear" in them, that's not possible. You would need to store all the notecards in some sort of external-to-SL database and perhaps use tools in SL to access the database in-world.

If you don't have too many notecards, and you manually associate each one with a set of tags, (Ex. "Fiction" "Non-fiction" "Science"), or a classification system like Dewey Decimal,  you might be able to make something work with only in-world scripting tools.

If you want that capability, file a JIRA feature request.

I suspect there is a hidden treasure trove of information in virtual libraries. But I am not sure how useful that information would be. Most of our gaming tech and how to info we put in the Wiki. The rest we talk about here in the forum.

14 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

If you have a notecard open, you can press ctrl-f to search for text inside of it.

This may be viewer-dependent.  In the official LL viewer, I am certain that the "search dialog" comes up instead.

So, I always copy from the notecard into "notepad" / "notepad++" if I need to search..

Edited by Love Zhaoying
Wrong words
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

This may be viewer-dependent.  In the official LL viewer, I am certain that the "search dialog" comes up instead.

You need to have the the notecard as the 'active window', and perhaps the text-cursor line visible in the notecard (it does seem to also work on no-mod notecards). If not, it brings up a in-viewer web-browser with google as the homepage. (Kokua behavior only?)

2052711823_notecardsearch.png.8e7dd9c8c9cd1d72f1a2c0d7be9340f5.png

Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

You need to have the the notecard as the 'active window', and perhaps the text-cursor line visible in the notecard (it does seem to also work on no-mod notecards). If not, it brings up a in-viewer web-browser with google as the homepage. (Kokua behavior only?)

2052711823_notecardsearch.png.8e7dd9c8c9cd1d72f1a2c0d7be9340f5.png

Weird! Will give it a try to confirm when I can login..

I bonk myself all the time when I hit ctrl-F in a notecard - that I am actively working on - where it is MOD and my cursor is in it!

@Quistess Alpha, please see the screen shot below showing how Ctrl-F brings up the browser window with "Second Life Search".

In this example, I even highlighted some text before Ctrl-F.  Prior to that, I had just placed my cursor in the notecard with the same result.

This is my work-in-progress modify every day notecard... I also tried changing something so the "save" button shows up, same result - Ctrl-F brings up the browser.

If you can tell me what to "fix" or what I'm doing wrong, I'll be grateful!

search.png

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Are you using a third party viewer? Kokua, Firestorm, Cool VL, and Catznip all seem to have notecard search functionality. I can't test any other viewers readily.

Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:
11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Are you using a third party viewer? Kokua, Firestorm, Cool VL, and Catznip all seem to have notecard search functionality. I can't test any other viewers readily.

Nope! Official LL viewer as first stated!

• Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 464 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.