Sea of Fables (on Sansara)

Teresa Firelight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 456 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I moved to Sea of Fables about 6 weeks ago and spent the next 4 weeks setting up my property. Then I began exploring and I noticed that there are a LOT of really nice properties along Sea of Fables, many of which welcome visitors/guests.

Is there already some type of Community among the Sea Of Fables property owners who open their land to guests? If so, how so I connect with this community?

If not, would other Sea of Fables property owners want to form some type of group or community where we can see about promoting what we offer to visitors and also fellowship with each other? I am not sure what this would look like at this point and am open to suggestions.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Teresa Firelight said:

I moved to Sea of Fables about 6 weeks ago and spent the next 4 weeks setting up my property. Then I began exploring and I noticed that there are a LOT of really nice properties along Sea of Fables, many of which welcome visitors/guests.

Is there already some type of Community among the Sea Of Fables property owners who open their land to guests? If so, how so I connect with this community?

If not, would other Sea of Fables property owners want to form some type of group or community where we can see about promoting what we offer to visitors and also fellowship with each other? I am not sure what this would look like at this point and am open to suggestions.

I don't know if I have time for yet another group, I'd only join it passively.

But I love the Sea of Fables which I think is one of SL's best kept secrets. I love the old Linden builds and hope they don't remove them.

I put up a waterfall again in Clunn at one end of the river there -- ages ago, at the dawn of time, I remember Shack Dougall had a beautiful waterfall and sort of rain forest build there. For a time it was a big mall. It has been through many changes. I saw it for sale for $1.3 and decided I had to rescue it from mall-dom, even though rentals on cliffs never do well, I find.

And you can get a kayak there and hang out at the bar, it's open to the public in the SL Public Land Preserve.

I think this is one of the nicest boat rides in SL.

There used to be more old ancient Elven sort of builds there but they got sold last year and while it's still nice, it doesn't have quite the "character" it once did. Still some abandoned or land for sale there IIRC.

On a separate but related topic, I finally got that very cheap land near our Free Tibet -- again for fear that it would 'go to the dogs". There's only so many rescue projects I can take on!

It always seemed to me that *in theory*, you could sale from Wakeley (Free Tibet) all the way around to Sea of Fables (which is directly accessible from Sutherland, across the Linden road from Wakeley, but needs a BIG detour through 7 Linden Seas to start that journey from Wakeley). But I haven't had the patience for that sail, and I think you may have to portage some of it!

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Teresa Firelight said:

Is there already some type of Community among the Sea Of Fables property owners who open their land to guests?

There is a convention that any parcel with a LCC or GTFO sky sign on the world map is open to the public and has a public rez zone. For example, http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Svan/226/218/21.   Also anything that looks like an airport is generally open to the public.

There are a large number of 20m connected protected water regions in Sansara, including the Sea of Fables and the East River. Unfortunately, these regions remain disconnected by water from Bellisseria and the rest of mainland. Perhaps "soon" we will have a connection from Bleaberry Tarn at the end of the East River to Omoo to the south (near the Bellisseria NW coast).

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 8:32 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

There used to be more old ancient Elven sort of builds there but they got sold last year and while it's still nice, it doesn't have quite the "character" it once did. Still some abandoned or land for sale there IIRC.

There's actually still a sort of Tolkien themed build at one end as you come out of the river into the Sea of Fables, and it has those giant, mythical figures so it still has that "fables" feel. The rest of the area seems to have been bought up by a wedding company but the landscaping is ok.

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2023 at 2:01 AM, diamond Marchant said:

There is a convention that any parcel with a LCC or GTFO sky sign on the world map is open to the public and has a public rez zone. For example, http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Svan/226/218/21.   Also anything that looks like an airport is generally open to the public.

There are a large number of 20m connected protected water regions in Sansara, including the Sea of Fables and the East River. Unfortunately, these regions remain disconnected by water from Bellisseria and the rest of mainland. Perhaps "soon" we will have a connection from Bleaberry Tarn at the end of the East River to Omoo to the south (near the Bellisseria NW coast).

GTFO, with the endless acres of concrete parking lots and trucks, does not belong in an area like this. And I never understand airports, or why they aren't flush on the ground, and often put themselves up on stilts, ruining some of the best areas of Blake Sea.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 1/12/2023 at 1:24 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

GTFO, with the endless acres of concrete parking lots and trucks, does not belong in an area like this. And I never understand airports, or why they aren't flush on the ground, and often put themselves up on stilts, ruining some of the best areas of Blake Sea.

apparently you have never tried to build on land that you cant terraform.  Kinda hard to build flush to the ground when the ground itself isnt flush.  Tho it is pretty entertaining seeing someone who owns a bunch of rental properties that look like they were built solely with items from the freebie shops of the beginning years of SL telling others how dreadful their parcels look lol

• Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 1:24 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

GTFO, with the endless acres of concrete parking lots and trucks, does not belong in an area like this.

GTFO is a grid wide freight hauling game, it belongs anywhere land owners setup hubs for use with gtfo and allow freight haulers to load & unload cargo. Also, concrete parking lots? not specific to GTFO!, there are way too many eyesore builds in SL that have nothing to do with GTFO! and many really great places that are GTFO! Also, there are several ways to haul cargo within the game, I use a tall ship most days, I'm pretty sure concrete has nothing to do with it. Maybe people should learn about things before they hate them.

2 hours ago, Madit Renfew said:

apparently you have never tried to build on land that you cant terraform.  Kinda hard to build flush to the ground when the ground itself isnt flush.  Tho it is pretty entertaining seeing someone who owns a bunch of rental properties that look like they were built solely with items from the freebie shops of the beginning years of SL telling others how dreadful their parcels look lol

I don't know which parcels you are looking at, but I have the latest mesh houses and landscaping in my rentals. Tenants sometimes prefer to put out something old, which is their wish. I also have some public places that are old builds but I haven't heard anyone who lives in or near them complain so I can't take your criticism seriously.

Everyone knows that Mainland does not terraform much beyond 4 +/- meters and has "baked in" landscaping. But you now have a wide variety of terrains you can put down to cover it.

The issue of non-terraformability does not explain why there have to be miles of concrete parking lots.

Nor does it explain why airports have to be up on stilts more than 2 and more like 10 storys high, ruining the view for many sims.

2 hours ago, DevinKnights84 said:

GTFO is a grid wide freight hauling game, it belongs anywhere land owners setup hubs for use with gtfo and allow freight haulers to load & unload cargo. Also, concrete parking lots? not specific to GTFO!, there are way too many eyesore builds in SL that have nothing to do with GTFO! and many really great places that are GTFO! Also, there are several ways to haul cargo within the game, I use a tall ship most days, I'm pretty sure concrete has nothing to do with it. Maybe people should learn about things before they hate them.

GTFO has spread wide over all the mainland and in Sansara it's about all you can see. It is the main producer of miles of concrete.

I learn about things by seeing them on the 60 sims where I own land; the sims around them, and many hundreds more since I love to explore.

I totally get it that people need "things to do" in SL and need ready-made games.  I think it's more than fine to complain how they wreck the view and turn much of the Mainland into a sprawling suburban mall-like vista. 

The presence of a tiny handful of ocean shipping or even cafes with flowers within GTFO can't make up for the enormous number of parcels with concrete parking lots and warehouses. This is obvious to anyone with any modicum of impartiality just by flying around. We've been over this many times on the forums, and I and others have supplied many pictures. As with the pods, people boostering them have severe cases of myopia. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

GTFO has spread wide over all the mainland and in Sansara it's about all you can see.

there can only be one GTFO! hub per region so you're seeing more than just GTFO!

50 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I think it's more than fine to complain how they wreck the view and turn much of the Mainland into a sprawling suburban mall-like vista. 

this has nothing to do with GTFO! and yes, what about those big malls that have nothing to do with GTFO! and those rental regions everywhere with stacks of giant floating domes?

52 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

The presence of a tiny handful of ocean shipping

there is more than a tiny handful of sea shipping in GTFO!

Also, you have the option to move away from mainland into private regions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, DevinKnights84 said:

there can only be one GTFO! hub per region so you're seeing more than just GTFO!

this has nothing to do with GTFO! and yes, what about those big malls that have nothing to do with GTFO! and those rental regions everywhere with stacks of giant floating domes?

there is more than a tiny handful of sea shipping in GTFO!

Also, you have the option to move away from mainland into private regions.

4 GTFOs in 4 regions ruin the view in 16 regions or more -- even if they stick to this rule and I'm not certain they do.

Big malls tend to be in the sky or on islands. There are far, far more GTFOs on Mainland than anything else, all you have to do is fly around and look so it's silly to dispute it.

Giant domes are an eyesore as well -- I don't use that stack-up practice myself nor do I put letters in the sky to show up on the map like GTFO and some rental companies. I view this as a cluttery, tacky practice. But there are far more GTFOs than domes, that's for sure. Again -- just look. It's silly to dispute this. You'd be more honest citing the SL credo, "I can do WTF I want on my land" and call it a day.

Compared to the acres and acres of concrete parking lots, the shipping GTFOs are indeed a tiny number.

GTFO is also welcome to make a giant grid of 100 private islands and put there game out there.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

On 1/12/2023 at 6:23 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

There's actually still a sort of Tolkien themed build at one end as you come out of the river into the Sea of Fables, and it has those giant, mythical figures so it still has that "fables" feel. The rest of the area seems to have been bought up by a wedding company but the landscaping is ok.

I think that island and area was made by the person behind Svarga.

• Like 1

This thread was never intended to be about GTFO ... neither criticizing it or singing it's virtues. It is meant to be about the Sea of Fables area... and I am still waiting to hear if there is any existing group (or association/blog/etc) for folks who have property here who open it for the public to enjoy.

I am guessing nothing exists... so my question is.. those of you who do own land here that is open to the public... anyone interested in joining together to see if we can make our places more generally known as well as sharing ideas and building a sense of community?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Teresa Firelight said:

and I am still waiting to hear if there is any existing group (or association/blog/etc) for folks who have property here who open it for the public to enjoy.

I am guessing nothing exists...

You are only going to get responses here from Forum users, and we are a tiny percentage of Second Life users.  Of the Forum users, only a very small percentage will be aware of the "Sea of Fables" area. 

Just because you do not get a response, does not mean "nothing exists".

Did you try searching in-world for "Sea of Fables" and see if you find groups, etc. in your search result?

You could also start your own group!

• Like 2

@Love ZhaoyingExcellent point that many of the land owners may not read the forums.

The in-world search is a great idea, and if that doesn't yield much, maybe I could make a notecard, wander around the many regions and drop it off to the property owners... that would be a great project to do a bit here/there over the next month or so.

• Like 2

East river community ran along the river from Sea of Fables that goes to the Linden village. It's spirit lives on in that some land around there is still held in its name. I know I contribute tier along with a gallery owner that keeps Mowry train station there, a sort of relic of that community . The other tier contributor has not responded to any messages I have sent them so presumably they are absent. Other parcels around there are held by the same landlords as before who may have considered themselves a part of that community, perhaps passive members or perhaps active in the votes and decision-making that seemed to happen at US times. 

I am not sure how useful that is to you, and kind of neighbouring area to your focus, but I think worth raising for your awareness as your community idea in the area likely to be compared with it when talking with other landowners like Venkeli who posted earlier.

On 1/17/2023 at 3:13 PM, Teresa Firelight said:

This thread was never intended to be about GTFO ... neither criticizing it or singing it's virtues. It is meant to be about the Sea of Fables area... and I am still waiting to hear if there is any existing group (or association/blog/etc) for folks who have property here who open it for the public to enjoy.

I am guessing nothing exists... so my question is.. those of you who do own land here that is open to the public... anyone interested in joining together to see if we can make our places more generally known as well as sharing ideas and building a sense of community?

Unfortunately, I don't own land there, but I just wanted to say that I think it's a wonderful idea, and I'd love to join something like that and will look out for it if I can sell my plot and buy land there or similar.

In any case, I'll have a look at Sea of Fables when I'll be in world next time, thank you to everyone who posted about it.

9 minutes ago, InnerCity Elf said:

Unfortunately, I don't own land there, but I just wanted to say that I think it's a wonderful idea, and I'd love to join something like that and will look out for it if I can sell my plot and buy land there or similar.

In any case, I'll have a look at Sea of Fables when I'll be in world next time, thank you to everyone who posted about it.

Thank you for your post InnerCity Elf :)

Here is an update on what I am doing... I have created a group called "Sea Of Fables Owners" and even created a couple of roles in it. I haven't had a chance yet to go around and talk to the land owners yet, but hoping we can form a community.

I have also purchased that marvelous pod system that gives tours around SL. My plan is to create a tour that goes to the privately owned lands along sea of fables who are nicely built and who welcome guests. BTW, for the purpose of my project, I am defining "Sea Of Fables Area" as the privately owned land along the sea of fables shore AND nearby sections of connecting rivers.

Since we dont already have a community for these land owners, I am hopeful that one will form :)

I hope that we will see you in the area at some future time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Good point Love... I have two categories in the group.. .Land Owner and Land Manager. I guess rather than just doing an "about land" to see who the owner is, I should edit the stuff in the build to see if the build belong to someone else, and invite the owner of the build.

Thanks for calling that to my attention :)

26 minutes ago, Teresa Firelight said:

Good point Love... I have two categories in the group.. .Land Owner and Land Manager. I guess rather than just doing an "about land" to see who the owner is, I should edit the stuff in the build to see if the build belong to someone else, and invite the owner of the build.

Thanks for calling that to my attention :)

FYI, I think you won't be able to find out who "renters" are by going to "About Land" (unless they are given full land rights and can put something in the "About Land"). 

So, you may have to find people actually on the land and contact them!  Or, see who owns the non-landscape (and possibly non-house) objects on the land (that would be the renters, usually).

Here's a scenario:

1) Land group A owns the land. Or, "Land Baron X" owns the land.

You can contact them, but they aren't the "Renters", if the land is rented out to someone else for use.  So, they may never actually visit the land.

2) The "Renters" are the people who actually "use" the land - live on it, rez certain objects on it, etc.

They probably won't be listed in "About Land".  I don't know if they will be listed in any "Land Group" - or if so, if you will be able to see into that land group!  (Maybe?)

Sorry, I've never been a "Renter"!

I hope my advice doesn't sound too dumb!

Thanks,

Love

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 456 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.