Would you ask for a refund?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 463 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

Several years ago a friend gifted me a piece of jewelry from one of the bigger SL jewelry creators.  Only thing, I had bought the same piece for myself a day or two prior, & it wasn’t an insignificant amount of $L.  I sent a NC to the creator showing both my & my friends transaction details (remember this was within a day or two of both purchases- not weeks or months).  I asked if they would refund my friend, since the item was obviously bought 2x & was nontransferable.  I got back a one word reply- and it was “NO”.  I never spent another penny in their shop. Something similar happened with a pair of shoes.  It’s just pennys or a few dollars to so,e, but to others it represents a choice they made as part of their budget in real life & even if these aren’t tangible I have to spend wisely.    
TL:DR- I would ask.

Well it was purchased by 2 different accounts, regardless of being a gift . Accidental double purchase only applies to a single account buying an item twice.

8 minutes ago, Modulated said:

Well it was purchased by 2 different accounts, regardless of being a gift . Accidental double purchase only applies to a single account buying an item twice.

Not if sent as a gift via Caspervend (for example) the merchant could have seen it was duplicate (also you can set Caspervend not to allow duplicative purchases).
No reason not to refund in that a duplicative gift scenario if the recipient is the same avatar.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

Several years ago a friend gifted me a piece of jewelry from one of the bigger SL jewelry creators.  Only thing, I had bought the same piece for myself a day or two prior, & it wasn’t an insignificant amount of $L.  I sent a NC to the creator showing both my & my friends transaction details (remember this was within a day or two of both purchases- not weeks or months).  I asked if they would refund my friend, since the item was obviously bought 2x & was nontransferable.  I got back a one word reply- and it was “NO”.  I never spent another penny in their shop. Something similar happened with a pair of shoes.  It’s just pennys or a few dollars to so,e, but to others it represents a choice they made as part of their budget in real life & even if these aren’t tangible I have to spend wisely.    
TL:DR- I would ask.

To me, that’s a different situation in a special case, and if I’d been the creator, I’d have likely at least offered/proposed a gift card or store credit in the purchase amount if I felt I needed to firmly adhere to my ‘no $L refunds’ policy rather than potentially lose the patronage of 2 customers as well as probably somewhat spoiling what is usually a lovely gesture AND something I’d want to encourage my customers to be doing, buying even more gifts in the future! 🎁 I had this happen with an entire decently expensive parure one time but I kept it hush because I felt like it would diminish my partner’s joy in giving it to me, and preserving that feeling was more important than a refunding of the double purchase price. 

re: OP - I know you said you have made your decision already but my thinking generally goes like this: If it was under L$250, I’d think ‘meh’… and bottom line is that I do feel like double purchases that I do myself when I forgot I bought something are my own ‘oops’. Some creators are good enough to use a system that checks it for me and refunds but I don’t feel like they are obligated to do a refund in these cases either. 
Sounds like it was a dated piece, several years old & set out as quite discounted on weekend sale prices (max L$75 for those things, right?) so I wouldn’t bother with it, that’s USD 25 cents.  It would however get me thinking about what I already have, why I forgot I even had it and also why I’m shopping for old stuff at bargain prices though. Just me? Maybe. 😎😉 I know a lot of people very much enjoy the bargain shopping though and so this isn’t a scold, rather just a personal reflection on my own habits. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fauve Aeon said:

To me, that’s a different situation in a special case, and if I’d been the creator, I’d have likely at least offered/proposed a gift card or store credit in the purchase amount if I felt I needed to firmly adhere to my ‘no $L refunds’ policy rather than potentially lose the patronage of 2 customers as well as probably somewhat spoiling what is usually a lovely gesture AND something I’d want to encourage my customers to be doing, buying even more gifts in the future! 🎁 I had this happen with an entire decently expensive parure one time but I kept it hush because I felt like it would diminish my partner’s joy in giving it to me, and preserving that feeling was more important than a refunding of the double purchase price. 

It was a bestie- not a romantic gesture & I obviously knew what she had spent & wanted her to have the funds back if possible.  & yes it would have been a appreciated gesture- instead they held on to the $6-$7 usd & lost the patronage of for sure two shoppers & maybe more cause I was pretty annoyed by the response & told several shopping friends=) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Modulated said:

It was sent t the same account by two accounts.  Nontransferable item.  It wasn’t a scam, wasn’t buyers remorse.  It was an opportunity to foster- ensure future patronage & lost us both.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2023 at 10:20 PM, Marianne Little said:

What do you do? Do you bother to ask for a refund? What do sellers do when this happens?

This happens rarely for me now there are redeliveries available (thank goodness for redeliveries!) but I have done it on occasion. If I just forgot, I just figure the vendor deserves the L for being so good I bought it twice. If it was a vendor glitch and it double billed me, then i'd drop a note.

Since I pretty much stopped buying lindens and surviving on what I get in here.. I have started to look at products that even look like they are similar in style and  do a search through my things..

The nice thing about finally having a decently organized inventory is, that search goes much quicker and more doable now than it would have been last year at this time.. Now if i find i have something similar or see the item is a rehash or the same thing but from another store.. I move along to something else..

There are a lot of advantages to being able to zip right to a folder or two and compare things while shopping.. It's almost like a game or challenge added to my routine now.. hehehe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 463 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.