Would you ask for a refund?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 469 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was shopping in the weekend sale, and I bought a thing, just to discover I bought it in 2021 too.

I feel a bit stupid. Shouldn't I search my inventory first? I suck it up and say it's my own fault?

Or.... send a notecard and explain nicely that I made a double purchase? Hoping to get the money back? It is a low amount, but still... 

What do you do? Do you bother to ask for a refund? What do sellers do when this happens?

Vendors who pay me back and say: "You already bought this" is really helpful for impulsive shoppers! 😃

• Like 6

I would just suck it up, honestly. Especially since it's a weekend sale item. I've actually learned to do an inventory search for weekend sales, for just this reason, since many vendors sell a previous weekend sale item. I love the automatic refund vendors, too! That has saved me lindens more than a few times. 🤭 Of course, I only have myself to blame. My inventory is a cluttered mess at the moment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I was shopping in the weekend sale, and I bought a thing, just to discover I bought it in 2021 too.

I feel a bit stupid. Shouldn't I search my inventory first? I suck it up and say it's my own fault?

Or.... send a notecard and explain nicely that I made a double purchase? Hoping to get the money back? It is a low amount, but still... 

What do you do? Do you bother to ask for a refund? What do sellers do when this happens?

Vendors who pay me back and say: "You already bought this" is really helpful for impulsive shoppers! 😃

I would pay you back, no problem.   Small amount or not, it's up to you but most creator's are very nice people.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It never hurts to ask, but without an L$ Transaction History showing both purchases, I wouldn't expect the creator to do a refund.

This is the one time that having the original delivery box set to 'No Copy' would be a good thing.  The properties of the box would show the date you got the box, but that is only useful if there is no way to copy the box.  If the box was set to 'No Copy', you could right click both items in inventory and select Properties -- and then do a screen shot with both property boxes showing the two dates.  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

With it being so long ago, I'd just suck it up. Neither I nor the seller will be able to find a transaction record from 2021 to back up the claim.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Might not be the same item. Lots of shops offer retextures or one weekend only colorways.

And honestly, since you bought it at the weekend sales - you're out $L99 tops? Let it lie.

• Thanks 1

As a merchant, I will refund when someone double purchases by accident AND if both sales still show in the transaction history of the marketplace AND they ask for it themselves.
Otherwise no chance.
But as a customer, I would try to get my money back, what is there to loose by asking?
Most merchants don't shoot or bite.

SL is only a hobby for most of us, right?

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lewis Luminos said:

With it being so long ago, I'd just suck it up. Neither I nor the seller will be able to find a transaction record from 2021 to back up the claim.

While this is true, I have never gotten a request for a refund on a duplicate, and it being so little in lindens, I'd believe the customer for taking all that trouble for what 60 lindens for weekend sale items.  Although if it was a fatpack duplicate, the seller might want to be able to confirm that and fatpacks might be a different issue.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I have had several requests for refunds of double purchases, mostly for 10-L$ items.

That's crazy and your stuff is worth way more than 10 lindens anyhow!  I know your stuff, especially your games on MP.  Do you sell inworld also?  I'm not inworld now.  On MP, it says "you purchased this item on such and such a date" at the top of the photograph area on MP.  They could have just gotten a redelivery off of MP. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lewis Luminos said:

A good point. All I have is when I bought it when I inspect and see the propreties.

52 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Might not be the same item. Lots of shops offer retextures or one weekend only colorways.

And honestly, since you bought it at the weekend sales - you're out $L99 tops? Let it lie.

It's a thing with a full HUD, so I doubt it was a single recolor.

I am thinking that it isn't worth writing the notecard. I would be anxious, while waiting for a reply. If I get "yes" I will feel in debt to the seller. If I get "no" I feel I was silly to ask. The worst would be to hear nothing. I don't know if they got the notecard, if they laughted and did not bother to reply. And should I send a new notecard? That would be demanding.

I better not ask at all.

The weekend sales is very much on repeat for some stores. I did not expect it from this particular store, I had bought the weekend sale item and didn't unpack it. It happend so often, especially when the weekend sales was something new. I was buying up a lot. 

I searched inventory in another store last year, but my inventory loaded so slow. When I bought the item, the double showed up too. Since then, I always search in that store, and many, many items come up with a couple months between. Now I wait until my inventory is loaded, maybe teleport home because the inventory get a kick on another region.

In that case, I did not send a notecard either. Since the inventory loaded so slow, it was my fault because I had a bad computer?

I waited until I found out it was too late to bother.

Most times I'll recognize something, but not every time.. If it's a small amount I'm not gonna bother.. If it's a big amount and I've spent there before, I always do a search through my inventory and the MP and their redeliver.. Expensive purchases I never forget those.. Something will click and have me wondering.. I could swear I bought this before..

That or I'll have gotten it on an alt and not gotten it on this one..

I've made mistakes where I got something on the MP for this one , but forgot I was logged in on an alt.. I Reeeeeally hate when that happens.. That one always gets me more than any of them..

I also bought something that I already had. I make small mistakes all the time when shopping. That's why all my avatars have a zero balance and I have to transfer money from my main account to them. I don't usually ask for a refund because the amounts are usually small but if it were large enough I might. But, it's entirely up to you. I think you can ask for a refund but keep your expectations low.

I've done this — purchasing something only to find I'd already bought it before — a lot! Fantasy Faire, Sci-Fi Con and Sci-Fi Expo are the worst places for me, so many shinies. My record has been three duplicate purchases, all from different years. I now double-check my inventory before buying any new item.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2023 at 2:20 PM, Marianne Little said:

I've done this in real life when I've accidentally bought a duplicate magazine and I have kicked myself, there is no taking that back, but in Second Life I wouldn't ask for a refund as I think the creators I buy from are worth a little more than they charge anyway. 

I would kick myself for not realising I'd already bought it though.

If it's a transferable item at least it could be gifted to someone else - or an alt? Play twinnies for the day?? 

Edited by Marigold Devin
It's a feature not a fault
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

The weekend sales is very much on repeat for some stores.

There's one store I visit every week for the sales and I've noticed that they tend to recycle their sale items so I've gotten into the habit of searching inventory for the product name before buying; half the time it's something I already own. If I forgot to check and accidentally bought it again... no I wouldn't ask for a refund. That's me making my own mistake.

Several years ago a friend gifted me a piece of jewelry from one of the bigger SL jewelry creators.  Only thing, I had bought the same piece for myself a day or two prior, & it wasn’t an insignificant amount of $L.  I sent a NC to the creator showing both my & my friends transaction details (remember this was within a day or two of both purchases- not weeks or months).  I asked if they would refund my friend, since the item was obviously bought 2x & was nontransferable.  I got back a one word reply- and it was “NO”.  I never spent another penny in their shop. Something similar happened with a pair of shoes.  It’s just pennys or a few dollars to so,e, but to others it represents a choice they made as part of their budget in real life & even if these aren’t tangible I have to spend wisely.    
TL:DR- I would ask.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 469 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.