Can someone offline track you in SL?

Lord Derryth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 450 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi,

I've noticed a friend on my list that is always logging in 5 minutes after I do.  I thought it was coincidence at first.  Someone told me, "Dude, she keeps logging in every time you log in."  I tested this theory.  I logged in during times she would not be on.  5 minutes later, she's online.  There are times where I wanted to log in and decided, "Let me wait an hour and see what happens."  I waited an hour, logged in and 5 minutes later, she logs in.  Is there a website besides secondlife.com which you can log in and hit the refresh button like a serial killer on the stalk that actually notifies you a certain friend has come online?  This is starting to get a bit freaky.  I've been told you can be tracked while they are offline.  Crazy thing is her friend used to do that to me all the time.  She passed away.  I'm guessing she showed her how to do it.  

• Haha 1

22 answers to this question

Yes they use another account and a script to monitor if you are online or not (even if you choose to hide it in the settings).

You can also use a scripted object to directly email you when someone go online, offline, etc.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Lord Derryth said:

Crazy thing is her friend used to do that to me all the time.  She passed away.  I'm guessing she showed her how to do it. 

This right here is suspect, IMO.  

She may also be logged in on an alt that uses an online tracker.  As soon as that tracker shows you're online, she logs in her avatar who is your friend.   Hide your online status and see if the same thing happens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Simpler even than that. It's right here on the website, on your Dashboard page.

Yup.  No magic. I've been doing that for years. Your friends' on-line status is always available right there. You don't need any in-world scripted tool.

Edited by Rolig Loon

I know about Second Life website and seeing who is on.  I use it all the time to see who is on.  She literally logs in 5 minutes after I do.  She can't possibly be logged in as another avatar tracking me and getting notifications that I'm in.  I feel like I can't breath the moment I log in because she's on and there and always there.  Who does that to a friend?

49 minutes ago, Lord Derryth said:

She can't possibly be logged in as another avatar tracking me and getting notifications that I'm in.

She doesn't have to be logged in with an alt track you and does not even need to monitor the web page.  As someone else mentioned, she could have an object inworld that emails her when you log in.  I have such an object that emails me when any of my accounts log in - so that I know instantly if any of my accounts get compromised.

You can de-friend her if you like, but that won't prevent her from being able to monitor your logins.  You just have to train yourself to ignore it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lord Derryth said:

I know about Second Life website and seeing who is on.  I use it all the time to see who is on.  She literally logs in 5 minutes after I do.  She can't possibly be logged in as another avatar tracking me and getting notifications that I'm in.  I feel like I can't breath the moment I log in because she's on and there and always there.  Who does that to a friend?

Say the guy using the online list on the website for the same purpose.

My friend is online. I shall be online now too.

I suggest you have a word and unfriend her.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord Derryth said:

She can't possibly be logged in as another avatar tracking me and getting notifications that I'm in.

She most certainly can.  If her alt has an online tracker, regardless of whether you are friends, it will show when you log in.  Then, she can log in with the avatar you are friends with.

• Like 3

Can they? Sure. Easy-peasy - anyone can track anyone logging into SL by setting up something like this https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Platinum-Tracker-HUD-avatar-tracker-online-notifier-HUD/677735

then when it sends an email, one can set their email provider to play a special alert sound when mail from this particular tracker lands and bingo, instant notice. I think it’s a great idea to use something like this for alt account security - as @LittleMe Jewelldescribed,  or maybe to monitor log-in traffic for several different reasons, the up-time/relog time of bots, for marketing purposes on the best time to send your inworld notecards, to look at patterns of when your best customers are usually on, to chart the activity of your most active group members, a double-check that employees are logging in on time, etc etc. I can think of lots of pretty non-invasive, mostly passive & pretty benign uses. 

The real question is the other one you asked, “Who does that to a friend?”. Why would someone use it in this way? I cannot think of any good reason. If a person I know did this with me, I’d be uneasy. 

I've used one before but I also only had friends on it and only after I told them I was using it.  It was just easier to see they were online if I had been AFK for a.period of time instead of opening up my list.  I don't use it anymore but hearing how.lately online friends are showing as offline periodically in your friend list, I might use it again.

On 1/7/2023 at 11:25 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

I have such an object that emails me when any of my accounts log in - so that I know instantly if any of my accounts get compromised.

Have you thought of doing 2FA for those alts? If someone tried to log in, it would also alert you too. 

1 hour ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Have you thought of doing 2FA for those alts? If someone tried to log in, it would also alert you too. 

I have 2FA on all accounts that ever have any money.  The others are not that important, but I still want to know if anyone gets access to them.  

On 1/7/2023 at 3:32 PM, Lord Derryth said:

Someone quite lonely, quite needy, and if it makes you feel that uncomfortable then just unfriend/block/mute her. 

I also have online trackers running, an old habit, ironically for the opposite reason to your friend, so I can actually avoid a few people who have a habit of contacting me the moment I log in, which I absolutely hate!

• Like 1

There used to be (and indeed still may be but I did not look) an item for sale that you would Rez and then add in the UUID of the avatar(s) to track. You then had a web url to follow that showed you a weekly view with the avatars online and offline times. Now that was creepy!

1 hour ago, Randy Pole said:

There used to be (and indeed still may be but I did not look) an item for sale that you would Rez and then add in the UUID of the avatar(s) to track. You then had a web url to follow that showed you a weekly view with the avatars online and offline times. Now that was creepy!

It's just one LSL command: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlRequestAgentData

That'll tell you any account's creation date, payment info, and current online status.

On 1/7/2023 at 2:15 PM, Lord Derryth said:

Crazy thing is her friend used to do that to me all the time.  She passed away.  I'm guessing she showed her how to do it.  

It's somewhat unlikely that you have multiple people who are obsessive about you in exactly the same way and behave in exactly the same way. Even an obsessive fan group for a celebrity would be full of individuals who all act differently. So unless you have proof that they were really different people and one of them really died, I suspect both accounts were the same person, who is not being honest with you. Ultimately, this issue isn't about the technical side, but in being clear about your boundaries and cutting her off if she won't respect them.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2023 at 5:32 PM, Lord Derryth said:

..  She literally logs in 5 minutes after I do.  She can't possibly be logged in as another avatar tracking me and getting notifications that I'm in.

They have rezed inworld an online tracker which when you are online does

llEmail("stalkersmail@whatevermail.com","Online Tracker Notification","Victim is online");

Total script is less than 10 lines of code. So if you feel annoyed don't waste time with idiots such as them and delete from friend.

Edited by Nick0678

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 450 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.