Man bites Dog.. Eeerm.. People paid US$2000 for a virtual small parcel

beethros Karas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 473 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I became a fan of this website lately: www.numbeo.com
(Haven't found yet som. better for to move from where I live)

But yes, after 3 minutes search..here I paste a search engine for land in Greece, where someone can buy a parcel for €2000 ( US$2,107)
Im sorry it is not in English.

https://www.xe.gr/property/results?transaction_name=buy&item_type=re_land&sorting=price_asc&geo_lat_from=41.07816031148457&geo_lng_from=25.076790468430602&geo_lat_to=37.69875957460452&geo_lng_to=19.674396314396745&minimum_price=1990&maximum_price=2010

p.s for the one who replied "And" ..
thank you for making me feel smal!
( I mean you replied AND???? like spending 2000 in SL is something you see every day.. or something that is Normal... Im sorry but to me it is not!
I pay 1500 for to rent a HOUSE to live in for a YEAR!
Your great!

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

Look round Horizons where it's all 1024sqm plots the asking price of land there can easily exceed what you've seen

this isnt horizons neither 1 of the 16 first sims.. is just a waterfront.. but yes, I assume you right,  I was too much inside my cell all these years :)

1 hour ago, beethros Karas said:

p.s for the one who replied "And" ..
thank you for making me feel smal!
( I mean you replied AND???? like spending 2000 in SL is something you see every day.. or something that is Normal... Im sorry but to me it is not!
I pay 1500 for to rent a HOUSE to live in for a YEAR!
Your great!

It was not meant to make you feel small.

The title of this forum is GENERAL DISCUSSION.  Posting some info without making any comments on it it not typically how discussions go.  What exactly was the purpose of your post?  Would you like to give some comment or opinion on the purchase and have discussion around that?

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, beethros Karas said:

this isnt horizons neither 1 of the 16 first sims.. is just a waterfront.. but yes, I assume you right,  I was too much inside my cell all these years :)

There are many mysteries of the Mainland market, as you of all people must know. This one is the "Blake Sea-navigable Mystery" where anything with a clear sailing path to the Blake Sea (even an absurdly long, not very appealing one, as with this parcel) gets extra juice in the pricing.

Sailing is a big deal in SL, as I'm often reminded, but I think for most people there's more value in knowing one could go sailing at any time, compared to the amount of time spent actually sailing. Kinda like RL, that.

[EDIT: Just teleported in to look around, and I think they vastly overpaid for this one. It's not waterfront, it's a water parcel, so they're now trying to resell/rent it with a big ugly fake beach rezzed over the water, a huge eyesore for the banline-festooned neighboring parcel(s), with only one narrow front on the Linden water sim adjacent. Doesn't mean nobody will pay their mark-up for it, but the market for it is "specialized"—with emphasis on "special".]

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, beethros Karas said:

Thank you for giving me the finger!

Is it because you was the 2nd bidder who bid 1990 dollars and lost it?

Please dont show the finger to me. I am not the winner of it. I just wanted to share my discovery!

Appologies.. it looked bad to my old eyes!

What a price! The parcel is okay. Not worth buying it for that much.

It is not set for sale. They rent it out, 1499 L per week. That is actually a good price for renting 4528 m with sailable water?

I pay 998 L for renting 4080 m. In a water region, but not sailable water.

The other side of the region has sailable water, and I could sail to the Blake sea from there. Maybe. It is a crazy long way, and probably blocked in a narrow strait.

But anyway, the 4096 m that is available, is 1390 L per week for renting, or 66.630 L to buy. It is 16,3 L per m. Really something else than 112,76 per m!

• Like 4

What we can take from this is probably that some people would be really unhappy with Linden if they made any bigger changes to the mainland structure and potentially devalue land. I know that someone would be jumping in right here and tell me that there's no guarantee in the first place that land stays as it is and therefore Linden doesn't need to care, but of course they will care since they'd annoy a group of customers that is willing to put relatively large sums into mainland. So if anyone ever had a great idea how to improve mainland in a structural way (for example add sailing access to bigger, potentially new oceans), there's this obstacle on top.

Edited by xDancingStarx

3 minutes ago, xDancingStarx said:

What we can take from this is probably that some people would be really unhappy with Linden if they made any bigger changes to the mainland structure and potentially devalue land. I know that someone would be jumping in right here and tell me that there's no guarantee in the first place that land stays as it is and therefore Linden doesn't need to care, but of course they will care since they'd annoy a group of customers that is willing to put relatively large sums into mainland. So if anyone ever had a great idea how to improve mainland in a structural way, there's this obstacle on top.

I cant talk about development/improving, but for sure, the reason I was brought back in auctions ( and so I was aware of this bid and wanted to share) after 10 years of beeing basic, is exactly the new cheap premium way of us$5.00!!... (Im European aka VAT )
So, its a win for LL ! They brought some Europeans to go premium and or buy land rights!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I don't see the point of this announcement other than to attempt to shame someone for how they spend their money. It seems like there might be a hidden agenda when someone who  who is in the business of buying and selling SL land points the finger at someone else for buying a parcel. Maybe they also bid on the parcel and are bitter about not winning the auction? Maybe a rival land seller did win?

(No, I'm not the winner of the auction, nor was I a participant.) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

At the rental price, the owner will make back his investment in about...6+ years?  There's a sucker born every minute comes to mind.

And how long could US 2000 have paid for a Homestad? 18 months? If calculating in PPlus and VAT for Europe, it would still be over a year. I would take that deal if somebody gifted me US 2000.

It must be some Blake Sea magic in the Mainland water. 

• Like 2

If they have that kind of money to spend on land, they must be doing something right.  I mean, from my own meager means and perspective it looks to be outrageous - but surely if they have $2,000 USD to spend on 4096 plot of land there must be something I am missing.  Renting it out full time will probably not be easy and there will likely be long periods of time where it sits vacant, and it will still cost a monthly fee.  Perhaps this is just a hobby of some well to do person, and hobbies often come at a loss of money.  I can't reasonably mock them if they have this kind of money floating around, because they are better at finances than me if this is something they can afford to do and sustain.  

I imagine if I had millions of dollars sitting around somewhere, and an interest in real-estate that extended into virtual worlds, I might spend a few hundred to thousand a year playing make believe.  I mean I spend $99 USD just on a premium membership, so it is not that far fetched for someone within their means to spend that much on something they likewise enjoy participating in.  Not that I am disagreeing with you or anyone else, to me it seems like insanity, but to me that is a whole lotta dough.  

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

What a price! The parcel is okay. Not worth buying it for that much.

It is not set for sale. They rent it out, 1499 L per week. That is actually a good price for renting 4528 m with sailable water?

And they only need to keep renting it out weekly at that price for 6.5 years continuous,  in order to break even... 🤣

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

"Long term investment"!

Yes! Indeed!

Lets try to do the math! (approx)

23 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I would take that deal if somebody gifted me US 2000.

:)

So, yes, lets say Marianne wanted to make me feel better and gifted me that parcel of land.
So in order to accept this "gift" I would need to go premium.  Thats US$9.00 a month

And then I will need to pay the mainenance fees for that size of land:  Thats US$31.00

https://secondlife.com/land/pricing
So far Im spending US$40 a month... And above my avatars head, I put a nametag saying: "Landlord" or even better... "Owner!"

Ok.. so , since I was gifted that parcel of land and since it must be some...

23 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

It must be some Blake Sea magic in the Mainland water. 

then as Marianne sugested,  I will go and rent it out for L$1500 a week

On 1/6/2023 at 3:39 PM, Marianne Little said:

They rent it out, 1499 L per week. That is actually a good price for renting 4528 m with sailable water?

then as Marianne sugested,  I will go and rent it out for L$1500 a week

So, lets hope I will be such a great agent and I will manage to rent it out for 52 weeks (1 year)
Then I will get a total of L$1500 x 52 weeks = L$78,000

So, after 1 year of waiting/saving, I will go to exchange those L$78,000 to get some US$ in order to be able to gift a bucket of flowers to Marianne..
L$78.000 exchange gives US$300.00

And finally , after 52 weeks (1 year) I will get US$300.00
And then I will go to my books and type:
YEAR OF 2023
I spend  US$40 a month x 12 months    =     US$ 480.00
I earn  1.500 a week for 52 weeks          =     US$ 300.00
___________________________________________________ -
Ooops?                                                                US$ -180.00

How much did i had profit?
-Minus   US$-180.00  <--- Well, this applies for me and you and its a wrong example for this case,
because the cost of the real landlords who rent from LL at least 1 full sim, is different than mine and yours, 
It cost for them US$11,50 a month for 4528m2 instead of US$31.00 or even less if they have those very old times tier deals
(1 full mainland sim = US$166 / 65.536m2 = 0.0025 per meter x 4528 meters = US$11.32 a month for it)

So, here is how different the things are for them:
YEAR OF 2023
I spend tier fees                                 US$11.50 x 12 = 138.00
I spend premium fees                       US$                       100.00
I earn                                                                                                                     US$300
Advs, salaries and other expenses
its impossible but lets say ZERO (0)
___________________________________________________________________________________
+
Total                                                                               US$238.00                   US$300.00
How much did I had profit?
+US$62.00 (approx)

yay me! 💰

On 1/6/2023 at 6:49 PM, Rowan Amore said:

At the rental price, the owner will make back his investment in about...6+ years?

Since you asking...
and if the approx math above are close to accuracy, then by earning US$60 a year, we need 33.3 years to get back our US$2000 Investment!
33 years??? ...Jesus Christ!
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

P.S
Im glad Marianne had GIFTED this parcel to me and so I will earn US$60 a year to pay my  internet bills! :D
Thank you Marianne !!!

With kind regards,
beethros Karas the Squatter! 
496730415_Squatters_Rights.jpg.e6312000fe6283ce634072221ea74d67.jpg

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ps.2

On 1/6/2023 at 6:59 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

The title of this forum is GENERAL DISCUSSION.  Posting some info without making any comments on it it not typically how discussions go.  What exactly was the purpose of your post?  Would you like to give some comment or opinion on the purchase and have discussion around that?

I believe I cover your query!
Feel free to post back - anytime - to have it further expanded!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 473 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.