Line up clothing seams

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi I'm looking for an easy way to line up the back and front seams of clothing?  Usually I go into photoshop and copy the front and back textures so they line up on a 2d level.  I noticed there is always a tiny shift from the front texture to the back one.   What ways do people use to make seamless clothing textures?

Thanks

It's not easy, especially since the front and back templates are at different scales, so they don't match naturally. The easiest way to handle it is to work with a graphics program that offers you 3D texturing options, like Photoshop CS4 or CS5.  There are even better ones, like Mudbox, that are super for the job. Using any of those, you are painting directly on a 3D model, so you can smooth details across seams.  Robin Woods has a very nice set of tutorial videos on her web site to show how it's done with Photoshop >>> http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/PhotoshopTuts/PhotoTutPages/CS4-3D-1_Open.html.

If you don't have those options available, then you have to do what we always did in the "old days." Upload your texture to SL and wear it on a trial garment. Study it, note what needs to be tweaked, and go back to Photoshop to make little changes. Upload again, and again, and again, until you get sick and tired or miraculously get it right.  (Tip:  Use Phoenix, Firestorm, or Imprudence, which let you uplad temporary textures for free, or do your trial fittings on the beta (Aditi) grid, where uploads are always free.)  You can also use Johan Durant's SLCP previewer, which is a little old by now but still works. It's just what it says -- a previewer -- so you can see what your textures look like on a 3D model (kinda tiny and hard to see, but still better than nothing).

• Like 1

Another old 'quick and dirty' method is to begin to upload a texture but don't complete the upload. 

The regular viewer will allow you to look at the texture from most angles as it will appear in 3D and if you don't like it don't upload it. Of course, it might look good there and you still need to fine tune it. But that will rule out a lot of uploads and there's nothing to remember or read.

It's the lazy person's way to check a texture. Or the person who doesn't have a PC. The previewer only works on PCs.

Rolig thanks for that tutorial link. It's really good. Do you know of any that show how to import a sculpt texture into CS4 Ext and paint on it?

You can use the same technique, Melita.  If you're in Blender, export the sculpty as a obj file and then import that into Photoshop CS4 or 5.  Once the object is imported, you can paint on it the same way you'd paint on an avatar obj file.  Frankly, I am not very good at it myself, but that's mostly a matter of not practicing enough.  If Chosen Few were here to make a recommendation, I'm sure that he would say that we are better off using Mudbox, which is a true 3D texturing program -- and he'd be right.  Even at their best, Photoshop CS4 or CS5 are really 2D programs.

If you don't have Photoshop 4 or 5 or have a hard time working with the 3D capabilities of that program, you can Google the SL Clothing Previewer, it's a free application that will let you load your creations onto a 3D model of our avatars. It requires you to save your creations as tga files, then it's super easy to open the SLCP application and load your creation right onto a 3D avatar, zoom in, check out seams and see where you need to make your corrections. I've been using it for years and I don't think I could create clothes without it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.