Feedback on Workflow for Compacting JSON for Notecards

Love Zhaoying

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sorry if this doesn't seem to belong here, but..here goes!

I am working on my LSL "JSON Parser" . (It is an interpreter that takes JSON as input.)

The JSON ends up in Linkset Data, but starts in a Notecard. (Prior to LSD, I was going to "cache" the Notecard data..)

In order to load Notecards efficiently, I am using the maximum Notecard line lengths of 1024.  This requires breaking each JSON string into a maximum of 1024 characters per Notecard line.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for my JSON modify / test workflow:

1. I am using a random JSON editor - an online website, JSONEditorOnline.org (because I am lazy). 

I use this JSON editor to modify my JSON for each Test. (Add "commands", modify parameters, etc.)

2. When I am ready to test, I use the JSON editor's "compact JSON" function to remove all whitespace.

3. After removing all whitespace, I use Notepad++:

a. I copy the compacted JSON into Notepad++.

b. Use the "replace all" function to convert each line to a maximum of 1024 characters,

With the "Replace All" RegEx option: Replace "^.{1024}" with "$0\r\n".

This adds line breaks every 1024 characters.

4. Then, I paste the resulting JSON into my notecard for testing.

I tried it, and I can "convert back" the JSON in Notepad++ by removing the linefeeds (again, using "replace all").  This is convenient, because I don't have to save the "original" (pre-compacted) JSON.

Note: I don't HAVE to "compact" the JSON for each test, it would just take a lot longer to load.

Thanks,

Love

Just a thought, but if this ends up being a user-facing project, you can use a (x)html website embedded in the script to ask the user to upload a file from their computer to the prim.

ETA: actually, nevermind, that method cuts the length of the file to a few hundred less than 2048 chars :/

<form enctype="multipart/form-data" method="POST" >
  <input type="file" name="fileselect"> </input>
  <input type="submit"></input>
</form>

Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Just a thought, but if this ends up being a user-facing project, you can use a (x)html website embedded in the script to ask the user to upload a file from their computer to the prim.

ETA: actually, nevermind, that method cuts the length of the file to a few hundred less than 2048 chars :/

<form enctype="multipart/form-data" method="POST" >
  <input type="file" name="fileselect"> </input>
  <input type="submit"></input>
</form>

Thanks! I forgot to follow the post and just found your reply.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VenKellie said:

jsoneditoronline dot org has a web editor to compact json, just paste your json in the left panel and at the top theres a Copy > Copy Compact, then paste into the notecard.

OR can just delete lines manually.

That's the editor I use. But, since notecards only work up to 1024 characters per line, that's why I have to use a separate editor to break the compacted JSON into lines of 1024.

17 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That's the editor I use. But, since notecards only work up to 1024 characters per line, that's why I have to use a separate editor to break the compacted JSON into lines of 1024.

oh i see i see. ya best to use some kind of loop to loop through each notecard then

if (data == EOF) {
++Notecards;
doNextNotecard();
}

EOF is End Of File, use that in your data_server event

Just for context, how much JSON data do you generally have to process? Are we talking about 2-4 notecard lines, or dozens?

Personally I might use my text editor throughout the whole process, to avoid copypasting from a website, since my editor has plugins to do the minifying/beautifying on its own.

What about having the minified JSON directly in the test script, so it would not have to be loaded?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.