Depth of Field question

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have DoF enabled in my viewer, but for some reason the effect is erased when I take a snapshot.

I've been able to take plenty of DoF snapshots in the past on the Project Mesh Viewer, but now I'm going crazy trying to figure out why I can't take any on the beta viewer.

Can anyone shed some light on my problem?

• Lindens

Melanie, glad you're enjoying DoF! I'd like to see what you've done, if you'd like to share.

Also, what Project Mesh Viewer version is this? It's worth noting DoF is supported in the newest stable Viewer, "Second Life 2.7.2 (233432) Jun 21 2011 17:17:16 (Second Life Release)". It even has a checkbox in PREFERENCES > Graphics tab. Newer Beta versions may contain newer improvements, but my point is we no longer need to restrict ourselves to the Project Viewers for the DoF goodness.

While I haven't encountered your specific problem recently, throughout the course of testing experimental graphics features, I came across other snapshot bugs — they kept disrupting me to such a degree that nowadays, I don't even use the Viewer's built-in snapshot to disk feature (Ctrl+` or the button). Rather, I use a combination of FRAPS and hiding the UI. I automate both with a single pedal press — yes, I use a USB pedal to take snapshots, it's kinda retro but frees my hands.

I'm not sure which one it was because I've since uninstalled it from my system (I had several viewers and did some housecleaning). I am currently using the official regular viewer.

A couple of friends on Plurk had mentioned taking screencaps, so if I run into this problem again I will probably be trying the fraps + hide UI workaround you've mentioned.

Here are some DoF shots I've taken. I don't really "know" what I'm doing, lol... I just fiddle with the debug settings as well as read up on what others have tried.

aloha.jpg

Pretty Baby has gotten big.jpg

eek a cobra.jpg

say cheeeeese.jpg

I did this tilt-shift one after having seen you talk about it on your flickr stream.

trying to do tilt shift.jpg

• Lindens

Melanie, fiddling is often necessary experimentation! I often don't have much of a clue myself when starting out, but through many processes and narrowing down what I like, I find cool stuff to share with others. And those are looking great, in particular the expression of you hugging your cat with horizontal shadows cast across makes me go awwww.

What pose are you using for "say cheeeeese" with the closed eyes? That looks like a lot of fun!

Also glad to see you playing with tilt-shift, I've hearted the "miniature/doll look" in the "real world" for years and attaining it in SL has made me incredibly happy.

• 2 months later...

I am having same dof propblems not transfering to HD from the viewer during a snapshot

I tried contol+snapshot - nothing and control + plus sign.  and what it looks like you are suggesting cnto + ' sign while snapping and by its self.  I can't get it to work.  On the nvew 3V viewer just downloaded - not beta.  Any help would be appreciated 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.