Asian look

ShimizuChizuru

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Newbie here, I am trying to put together an Asian look and I have been checking threads and in-world stores, but quite honestly I have only grown more confused. I heard both that Catwa heads are a no go for it and that they can work well with some eye changer thing. That Lelutka is the way to go for the Asian look out of the two mainstream heads. Also that Genus and Genesis are actually the way to go but since as far as I know they aren't as "big" options would be limited. Then there is that whole Evox and HDpro thing of the first two which I understand are the new generation of things that are supposed to (in time) make the previous generation of heads "obsolete". So I worry about getting a head that I can tweak to look Asian and give it my own look, I worry about it not becoming obsolete in a couple of years or so, and I worry about any skins I get or for that matter anything else really, to be compatible with it too. For the skins I was pointed to Mudskin, at a glance I liked what I saw there but I am a big worrywart and wonder if the skins there work with this or that head or even across generations from the same store (regular and evox thing from Lelutka). I would really appreciate some insights and pointers keeping in consideration that I am at best layman tier knowledge for these things. From what I have seen in stores most things are geared for the Caucasian look and wanting to put together my Asian look is not as clean cut as I thought.

There's a lot to unpack here, and I worry that you're anxious over the things that lead to more anxiety rather than not. 

First of all, "asian" isn't very descriptive. "Asian" can encompass a number of looks, for example: Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam. All of these which look drastically different from the next. 

Secondly, demos are amazing things, and should be utilized as much as possible if you are worried about spending the money. 

Thirdly, many folks have posted their shapes for sale on the Marketplace, and it's typical that these shapes include "style cards" which provide the purchaser with instructions on how to duplicate the look. While you may not want to look EXACTLY like somebody else, it's a good start, and shapes and the tattoo layers for makeups and things these days.... it's quite easy to look drastically different with some fiddling. I would suggest starting here. 

In terms of generations, etc - that's something that just changes with secondlife designer culture, and the demands of users. Catwa and Genesis have fallen out of popularity, it seems, with designers. Genus has as well, although with some rumors on FB with the designer coming back with a new version of her own HD skins with Genus, I'm sure it'll come back soon enough. Lately the popular head seems to be Lelutka. 

SL is, if anything, even more flexible than  it used to be with altering your avatar into being something else. It's just a matter of how specific or particular you are. 

• Thanks 2

Well trying to emulate myself but I am quite aware that it will come with limitations, so that would be perhaps what's called in English East Asian?  But yeah, I will gladly settle for anything within the range of these: https://imgur.com/a/0tc7DPr

Approximating to anything like that would leave me very happy, although from my extreme ignorance, feels like a tall mountain to climb.

I don't know if you're still looking, but I recently went on the same journey to make my avi look asian like myself, so here's what I know.

- Although it's up to personal preference, I agree that Lelutka is probably the best choice. You'll find a lot to go with lel heads.

--- I'm using Lelutka's freebie Raven, so I didn't really look for heads. The only distinctly asian head I know by name is Kane (for men) but I know Lelutka has others too.

- EVO X is like EVO plus, meaning if you have EVO X, you can use EVO stuff in addition to EVO X stuff if you want to. There's a toggle for it in the HUD.

- I think almost any head works with enough shape-tweaking. The hard part is getting a low nose-bridge or monolid on some, so demo the heck out of them!

Stores where you can find skins for asian faces (most of which are Korean, but still):

MUDSKIN - Heavily k-pop inspired, I think a lot of the skins are based on actual people. Some skins cost up to 1000L per tone, so... you've been warned.

--- They have skins for Catwa, Genus, and Lelutka (EVO and EVO X). It'll usually tell you which head brand (and generation) the skin is compatible with in the name. Some of the skins have tones to match Velour (a body skin brand) if you happen to like Velour. They also come with shapes.

Avarosa - More realistic (less glamorized) options in my opinion, and not all Korean. Tends to be cheaper than MUDSKIN too. I think they're primarily for Lelutka EVO X.

ODIO - More K-pop inspired skins, Lelutka (both EVO and EVO X I think?) cheaper than MUDSKIN, and comes with shapes.

PoPPet Skins - Exclusively for Lelutka EVO X, and uses Velour tones. I don't think they're K-pop inspired, but they are glamorous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to add to what others have said above. Like said above Lelutka is currently the most supported head maker, and I've noticed with Asian skins, most are created for the Ceylon head, but can work on others of course.

Boatoam and Dernier have Asian skins and offer a good free skin each if you want something free to start as a reference. I think Mudskin ended their free Ravy skin they gave as part of the Lelutka Raven free head. I'm pretty sure this was one of the Ceylon based "Sunday" skins, as the skin and included shape I think actually work on the Ceylon head better than the Raven head. 

Another tip is that some skins come with makeup already on, which sounds convenient, but then as you explore things, and want to add your own makeup it becomes a problem. Mudskin offers cheaper "Sunday" skins that are based on their more expensive skins but "flattened" so the skin + makeup layers are merged to a single skin. These two offerings below from Boatoam and Dernier offer a base skin with no makeup - which sets you up nicely to play around with makeup.

Group Gift

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME

Raven

This is the Lelutka Raven head with Mudskin free Ravy skin - but this shape makes the head/skin look very different from the default shape with Raven head or even the Mudskin shape included with the Ravy skin. Mudskin and ODIO come with shapes for a younger K-pop sorta look, but there are also many shape creators (like the above) that also do that, so you're not limited to getting shapes from the Skin makers. 

Edited by Mark Sparkle
forgot to mention more about shapes
  • Thanks 1

Maybe something like this? Full disclosure, it's one of my looks. I put the credits on the bottom of the post. 

The others have mentioned some great skin options, but I'll add that some places also sell monolid layers that you can add on top of whichever skin you choose in order to enhance or completely change your eye area. Your mileage may vary if you use makeup with cut creases, though, for obvious reasons. I tend to use Dernier's and Izzie's eye mod layers when I want more of a monolid on my avi. 

Jocelyn Look

Edited by SabrinaCooke
  • Thanks 1

Thanks a lot, these are a lot of new store names I hadn't heard about before and nice tips. Still working on this, since I think someone asked, but will definitely add these to the products to try out. For Lelutka I am currently toying with the Ryn demo, though I got the demo of Ceylon too, felt like the best options from that store.

Thanks a ton again, indecisive and ignorant as I am, tips like these and second opinions make a world of difference for me.

Thanks a bunch everyone, I am trying on a mountain of demos. Discovered how much that worn brow shape can alter the overall mesh head shape in that area, I am not very good at the whole shape editing thing but I like something of my own if that makes any sense. Been using the base shape that comes with the Ryn head and slowly making progress, wish these things had more sliders though...

Another discovery and worry has been, Mesh bodies and skin. I am going for Maitreya (I think you spell it that way), sticking to the demo for now, not going to buy anything until I am convinced I have it all figured out. But here is my new worry, would the skin of the mesh body match that of the head with all the different stores and brands? I would hate to get a skin I love for the head only to find out later that I can''t get anything matching for the body.

So fare, skin wise I am leaning towards anything bare, preferably with no eyebrows option too, as I understand that there are likely more flexible and better ways of going about those than them as part of the skin. Have yet to touch those monolid things mentioned too but they sound promising, provided they can match the skin.

Izzie has great monolid BoM addons.

To answer your question, yes and no. Mostly no. The best thing to do if you want a seamless, perfect latch is to buy body skin and head shin /shape at same place, that was you can ensure the skin tones will match. There are some exceptions ... a place that sells a head shape and skin might then tell you where the body skin can be found, for example. But I've always had luck getting the skins at the same places ... TheSkinnery, for example. Find the head you're wearing (or Lel Evo X in general, for example) and then a Maitreya skin tone that matches.

You've learned the main lesson ... demo, demo, demo. Happy to help in world if you see me online.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ShimizuChizuru said:

Another discovery and worry has been, Mesh bodies and skin. I am going for Maitreya (I think you spell it that way), sticking to the demo for now, not going to buy anything until I am convinced I have it all figured out. But here is my new worry, would the skin of the mesh body match that of the head with all the different stores and brands? I would hate to get a skin I love for the head only to find out later that I can''t get anything matching for the body.

Maitreya Lara has the most support. If you are interested in the Petite option from Maitreya, I'd suggest then considering a different body - Meshbody Legacy Perky. Between the two smaller chest bodies, I'd say Perky gets more support than Petite. But with Maitreya it's an addon to the Lara body, whereas Meshbody sells Legacy as two versions - you'd need to buy 2 bodies, unlike Maitreya. The Legacy perky body can wear regular Legacy cloth, but you'll see the chest area won't match up perfectly. Really only a problem with tight fitting cloths like a bikini top.

Boatoam has a free body skin to go with the head skin I mentioned above. Head skin is makeup free and has a browless option. Good starter, especially for the body skin.

Also know that the better head skin places will draw a blending zone into their head skins, so their skin can match to somebody else's body skin. Like in the example of Boatoam, the body skin in 'esian' tone matchs perfectly with a Mudskin headskin in velour Porcelain tone. The blending zone ( neck fix ) of Mudskin makes it work. This also means if you see other head skins offering velour tones, the same trick can apply either if the skin has a built-in blender or a separate blender.

Edited by Mark Sparkle
  • Like 2

Good to hear that there are viable solutions, I did notice that some kind of leave a noticeable mark around the neck yes. I am slowly narrowing down the head skins I like and will soon boil down to what I like most and/or is more convenient. Will have to get over indecisive self somehow!

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.