Humans complaining about heights

Denny Farlight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

One of the most popular adult places right now has avatars there that are the height of the OP and some shorter.  The issue comes around when the rest of the avatar's look might be considered more teenish.    I'm often one of the shorter avatars in adult places and have never once been asked to leave because of height.  My avatar looks like an adult and not one trying to look 'barely legal'.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

One of the first "adult" places I visited in SL had some very prominent "Kemono-no-no" signs (Kemono is a popular anime-esque body).

Anime just really squicks some people I guess.

That's just sad to me. Anime can be about a lot of subjects, from childlike wonder to very adult situations, but my favorite anime shows are basically soap operas, like Maison Ikkoku. (I'm not an expert in Anime but I do love some of it, particularly shows from the 1980s like ROBOTECH.) 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

Based on this response, I'm not surprised they decided to just ban you.

based on your profile picture are you just a troll =3 and you doing nothing else then trolling (aka trying to accuse me of stuff and getting a reaction) here, i feed you with one. if you think asking a question deserves a ban should you never be staff anywhere. expecially when you say "your avatar is fine now" but then one question causes that you ban me because my avatar is suddenly because of the asked question now not longer ok even tho you said just minutes ago "its fine". expecially if it exposes a mistake which you have done in your rules that you cant give a counter argument and need to harass the person, calling them teen avi even tho they got just minutes before told "your avatar is fine now" god i hate trolls >w>. do you think aswell that if i block you that you won? like all troll´s do? probably x3.

TLDR; if you ban peoples which ask you things and said question shows you that something is obsiviously wrong in your ruleset  are you a horrible owner and the place deserves to be dead. a good owner would find a solution instead of banning peoples. saying the place is real life based but having 2meter+ peoples in the sim is obsiviously wrong. oh ya edit; except you can give me prove that somewhere on earth is it normal that adults reach the height of 2meter and taller without an illness and atleast 70%of the adult population. but, i can tell you already. you wont be able to do that. i wonder when you start to grammartroll me ^.^. *made extra a lot of grammar mistakes in this post to trigger you*

Edited by Denny Farlight
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

My tallest (on average) form is just a bit taller than six feet tall (1.89 meters). I use filly Anthromorphic, Hybrid (Neko/Human-form Kitsune) and Humanoid avatar forms. I do head to places wherein I have seen taller avatars on occasion.

Not once have I ever been accused of being a Child or Teen/Tween Avatar. Not. Once. be it your actions or trappings (clothing and such) or some other factor, this is on your end.

There are no rules concerning Height (or other factors) within the ToS or CS as far as designating such Avatars are concerned. The parcel owner is quite free to kick or ban you for any reason or for no reason whatsoever. They do not have to explain why to you. You have no "rights" whatsoever within Second Life (rather, your Avatar does not).

Change how you carry yourself, be less confrontational and perhaps examine in better detail what might actually be casing the issues. If you are kicked/banned from a venue over an arbitrary factor, you can change to fit in (should you really wish to continue to enjoy the venue) or move on to somewhere else after writing the prior one off.

Your combative responses here do you no favors whatsoever.

• Like 8

with issues on regions or with owners/offficers i'm quite easy

am i banned somewhere for any reason?.. most likely i am, but won't notice it, it's mostly on places i don't want to be or return anyway.

Don't make it worse for yourself to stick in the situation, move on, go somewhere else. 
Or adapt.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This made me curious so I checked and... my avatar's around 7ft... T_T oops

I scaled him to match the height of other avatars and the furniture around me, so I'm not sure it can be helped, but it does make me wonder why people started making their avatars so tall before there was such a standard.

Regardless, the problem seems to be that SL has a lot of substyles. Furry, anime, and "normie" communities don't overlap a whole lot. It seems like they each have their own standards for what people in their communities should look like in order to maintain immersion. I mean, a neon furry would look out of place in Dark Souls, right?

I'm struggling with this a bit because I don't want to use a full on anime avatar, but I am trying to make an anime-inspired avatar that's a bit more stylized than realistic, unlike most "normie" avatars. The problem with mixing styles is that I don't know what communities I fit in with. I'm not anime enough for the anime people, and I'm not furry enough for the furries, but I'm too anime and too furry (like a neko, but with bunny ears) for the normies.

All that is to say, I understand why people might be nitpicky about extreme differences in proportion, even when child-like avatars aren't a concern. It's immersion breaking... and yeah, getting kicked out of places does suck, but what do you really gain by conforming to the shape editor's height measurements when the majority of SL content is clearly made for a different scale?

The title should be @Denny Farlightcomplaining about heights.

Denny have picked one thing, without care for other "It is not RL" issues in SL.

Flying? Teleporting? Ears and tails? Tiny heads, long legs, all kind of things that's "off" against RL.

No. Denny has decided it is RL height all in SL should use. And that it is a virtual fantasy world does not matter. Because no one is 2 m in RL, so the owners who want people to use common SL height is horribly wrong, and their place deserve to die.

Sure, Denny have valid points. The camera placement could be better, and we build big houses with big furniture for big avatars. LL could have changed camera, if LL cared about RL height from the start. But SL is as it is now, and LL will not punish places because they use SL height as an indicator of who's too young.

And it is places in SL built for real height. It is not adult places though. Those owners spend thousands of real money on tier, buying furniture and other decor, and maybe they are overly scared of getting AR'ed for having too young avatars there.

Maybe Denny would be scared to lose it all too, if he had spent thousands in SL. Instead Denny will use their places for free, maybe tip a dollar, and if not, the place deserve to die.

6 hours ago, Denny Farlight said:

based on your profile picture are you just a troll =3 and you doing nothing else then trolling (aka trying to accuse me of stuff and getting a reaction) here, i feed you with one. if you think asking a question deserves a ban should you never be staff anywhere. expecially when you say "your avatar is fine now" but then one question causes that you ban me because my avatar is suddenly because of the asked question now not longer ok even tho you said just minutes ago "its fine". expecially if it exposes a mistake which you have done in your rules that you cant give a counter argument and need to harass the person, calling them teen avi even tho they got just minutes before told "your avatar is fine now" god i hate trolls >w>. do you think aswell that if i block you that you won? like all troll´s do? probably x3.

TLDR; if you ban peoples which ask you things and said question shows you that something is obsiviously wrong in your ruleset  are you a horrible owner and the place deserves to be dead. a good owner would find a solution instead of banning peoples. saying the place is real life based but having 2meter+ peoples in the sim is obsiviously wrong. oh ya edit; except you can give me prove that somewhere on earth is it normal that adults reach the height of 2meter and taller without an illness and atleast 70%of the adult population. but, i can tell you already. you wont be able to do that. i wonder when you start to grammartroll me ^.^. *made extra a lot of grammar mistakes in this post to trigger you*

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Sure, Denny have valid points. The camera placement could be better, and we build big houses with big furniture for big avatars. LL could have changed camera, if LL cared about RL height from the start. But SL is as it is now, and LL will not punish places because they use SL height as an indicator of who's too young.

You can also adjust the camera offset yourself, so .. There's that. There's a reason video games usually come with FOV sliders and whatnot; there isn't any one 'perfect' camera view to suit everyone. 

Personally, as far as furniture is concerned, I'll very seldom buy anything that isn't modifiable. I'm a tall kind of guy who got my feet hanging off the edge of standard beds in RL if I lay straight - but the 4 metre long beds in SL feel a bit ridiculous. 

• Like 2

One important thing to remember is that not a single place that will ban you purely based on avatar height is actually worth visiting. Nope, none of them, rules like that just instantly display a certain something that shows it's not the kind of location you want to give your traffic or tips to. Prove me wrong. :P

• Like 2

Ok so we found something to speak about today 😂 🤣

So my human avatar is 1.74 mt. My toon cat is 0.84 mt tall. 😍

RL i am 1.93 mt and as 13 teen i was 1.80 mt (and my best friend 1.85 mt).

Shorties (RL and SL) are very very cute but they love problems TOO MUCH. 🙄 😑

If you want to be short, try BladenCat MK5, MK7 etc, the base avatars are FREE.

img_cat.jpg

Snapshot_001.jpg

Edited by 2Tessa
  • Like 5

For me, as someone who stands 5'9" in bare feet in SL, it's not only about height, it's a combination of height and appearance.

I can easily tell a woman who stands 5'3" from a pre-teen who stands the same height.

Facial structure, body shape, eyes, hair style, clothing (yes, clothing, sorry to stereotype; i.e., Ricielli or Valentina E style vs Candy Kitten and Lunar), AO used, etc etc. It's not very difficult to sort out the adults who are portraying RL heights from the Lolita types. One is acceptable in Adult rated sims, the other isn't to my mind. Then again, the Lolita types have their own sims and rules, but some of them really push the limit. YMMV.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Denny Farlight said:

I don't have to accuse you of anything. You're putting on the show all on your own. If it's trolling, it's the easiest troll ever.

• Like 1

I'm shorter than you, haven't been here nearly as long as you, but have yet to get kicked out of anywhere or have my height versus appearing age, questioned. Not even one single time. 

I don't think it's the place owners that are the problem. You don't have to like their rules, but as long as they don't break the TOS, they can have whatever rules they want. If you're going to be argumentative about them, just because you think they contradict or break their own rules, you can't be surprised when they kick you out. Argumentative people are problematic, some people prefer not to deal with the problem at all, that's their prerogative. When you pay for the place, you get a say, until then, you don't, and arguing about it will only tell people why they should preemptively remove any possible problems. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Cinos Field said:

One important thing to remember is that not a single place that will ban you purely based on avatar height is actually worth visiting. Nope, none of them, rules like that just instantly display a certain something that shows it's not the kind of location you want to give your traffic or tips to. Prove me wrong. :P

Agreed, I run various kinds of avatars from my anime styled elven lady to my buff anthro boyo being myself and if you gotta change yourself just to chill out in a venue like that it's not worth your time at all. Lots of people are fake out there and how SL is so accessible they are widespread. It's a shame how we got some shallow people like this - I personally love how everyone can co-exist like this and some styles just 'hit' differently. It's a thing of beauty. This whole 'idea' of the height restriction is bonkers - if it wasn't a thing then LL wouldn't have the option for people to be 4 foot whatever. People need to get out of their warped sense of reality.

Edited by Simo Vodopan

The usual justification for kicking short avatars out of parcels and regions is that the landowner is afraid of being shut down and/or banned by LL for permitting age pl*y.

Does anyone know of even a single instance where this has happened, based not on the activities or RP of those in the place, but merely upon the size of their avatar?

31 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The usual justification for kicking short avatars out of parcels and regions is that the landowner is afraid of being shut down and/or banned by LL for permitting age pl*y.

Does anyone know of even a single instance where this has happened, based not on the activities or RP of those in the place, but merely upon the size of their avatar?

I've had maybe two places do that to me over the years since the maturity ratings added adult..

It wasn't even a person that did it to me.. It was something where some script or something measures you and then sends you a message in local chat on having to change your size because you are too short, then kicks you home.. then once you change your size you can come back.. I wasn't even that far off either in making the cut.. I was just under by a little..

I never had a person actually tell me  to leave a sim on any circumstances at all for anything..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Sure, three times, one time just kicked and twice IM'ed and asked to change or do something so I looked more of age. The solution for one was to move the height slider so I was taller than their minimum and the other time I increased my bust size to a level they were happy with in spite of being short in stature. From that time forward I started to wear a larger bust size and haven't had a complaint since.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I've had maybe two places do that to me over the years since the maturity ratings added adult..

It wasn't even a person that did it to me.. It was something where some script or something measures you and then sends you a message in local chat on having to change your size because you are too short, then kicks you home.. then once you change your size you can come back.. I wasn't even that far off either in making the cut.. I was just under by a little..

I never had a person actually tell me  to leave a sim on any circumstances at all for anything..

6 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Sure, three times, one time just kicked and twice IM'ed and asked to change or do something so I looked more of age. The solution for one was to move the height slider so I was taller than their minimum and the other time I increased my bust size to a level they were happy with in spite of being short in stature. From that time forward I started to wear a larger bust size and haven't had a complaint since.

No, sorry, I wasn't clear.

I meant has it ever happened that a landowner has been disciplined for allowing shorter avatars into their region or parcel?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I have a suspicion that it hasn't -- or at any rate has been VERY rare.

So, it's either hooey or paranoia from the landowner.

You remember how crazy it was back then getting hit with the rating changes and how confusing those were.. then everyone being worried about child avatars around that time going into adult sims.. then them saying they weren't moving the teen grid to this grid, then  not even a year later moved the teen grid to this grid..

The panic really got bad when people knew for sure teens were gonna be on the grid..

A lot of this stuff now is just left over stuff from back then still lingering or  built into something else or whatever a grape vine turns things into.. it's some panic, some over cautious and a lot of misunderstanding  the changes.. things like that.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I meant has it ever happened that a landowner has been disciplined for allowing shorter avatars into their region or parcel?

Not on height alone, but I do know of cases where a height limit as an initial gatekeeper could have deterred abuse.

I know of a few AFK users who were banned because of child avatars coming into an AFK venue, hopping on a sexbed with said AFKer, engaging in sex, while a third party took pics and AR'd the AFKer for *****. One of said AFKers was also the venue owner and their ban resulted in the venue being closed since the user couldn't/wouldn't use alts to continue to pay for the renting of the land. Another venue owner managed to get their ban rescinded after engaging with support for a week.

If you search the forums you will find threads on this type of provocateurism and resulting discipline from LL.

I have been alerted by AFK venue owners of similar attempts over the years with names of the offenders and I have witnessed it myself a few times and reported it, but have yet to see anyone wearing a child avatar banned for such behavior, only those not wearing child avatars.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.