Humans complaining about heights

Denny Farlight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 437 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

20 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

A couple of things could happen.. There could be an explosion, you know because of  dynamite coming in small packages, or something short and sweet..  hehehehe

with the goal of splitting them into half. a bit hard with dynamite cause it would mostlikely end up onto many pieces but goal would be into half so they shrink from 7ft down to 3'5 xD

sorry, i couldnt resist

from what i gather here aswell is that the 159cm seems to be just a rumor aswell. noone was able to show that it got made official that 159cm is now the height minimum for A sims.

but oki. i just wish the human community would drop this giant standard in their community.  probably will never happen tho.

Edited by Denny Farlight
  • Like 1

It's a problem but it's just one of those things you pretty much have to live with.  I am quite short in real life, only 5'1.5".  In SL I'm 6'8" and I'm usually shorter than most of my friends.  It's especially glaring when couples dancing. My head should be somewhere about their chest height if we were proportioned properly.  Instead I've either got my face in their belly or I'm dancing 2 feet off the ground. 

Part of the problem is the camera perspective, and part of it's that people tend to idealize their bodies.  Most people think big is better so everyone is a little bit taller in SL.  Then because everyone else did it too, they do it just a little bit more in order to reach the top end of the bell curve. so we wind up with the 8 foot average height.  And the gravity defying bosoms. and the gargantuan hips and ass. 

People are strange.  As for places that try to make rules about height, I just don't go to them.  I tend to avoid places that make excessive rules anyway, as that seems to foster attitudes I don't agree with.

• Like 1

Glad I'm mostly a frog. This all sounds exhausting.

On the more serious side, I usually have my body height slider near maxed out (plus heels/hover), but I have my reasons. I'm a shortie in RL so I love rocking loooong legs, I enjoy making ridiculously tall humans look short, and I spend 99% of my SL time as some type of towering fantasy creature or monster, so it just works. 

Denny, you might have a bit more luck hanging out in the fantasy community. There are honestly all types - huge orcs, tiny fae, satyrs, centaurs, monsters, beasts, mythical creatures, aliens, mer, nekos, anthros, dragons, etc. We're kind of scattered all over the place, but there are a few gathering spots (I'm still working on finding these), and some of us chat in Discord. I'm told a community hub is coming soon(tm) to my favorite store where club and sim owners can advertise their fantasy/monster avatar-friendly places. And of course, there are the fantasy social and shopping events that you can find on Seraphim.

We're a hugely diverse bunch of all shapes and sizes and colors and...everything really, so I can't see anyone being hassled about their height in a regular hangout context. That said, though, I can't speak on the adult aspect of all that. You'll have to see what rules, if any, some of the fantasy sims have in place regarding those particular activities.

46 minutes ago, Denny Farlight said:

you are probably a prime example of those humans which cant accept "normal" heights.

but yea, what randy said is true, i mentitioned that aswell in my first post. peoples come into sl and the default camera turns them literarly into giants.

Normal Real Life Height and Normal Second Life Heights are two different things, unless you are in the RL height communities. The average size of most humans in most places is the standard, not whatever the viewer says your height is, that is arbritrary. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Denny Farlight said:

with the goal of splitting them into half. a bit hard with dynamite cause it would mostlikely end up onto many pieces but goal would be into half so they shrink from 7ft down to 3'5 xD

sorry, i couldnt resist

from what i gather here aswell is that the 159cm seems to be just a rumor aswell. noone was able to show that it got made official that 159cm is now the height minimum for A sims.

but oki. i just wish the human community would drop this giant standard in their community.  probably will never happen tho.

What's that other saying.. God only lets things grow until they're perfect.. Some it just takes a little longer..  hehehehe

Seriously though.. As long as they don't  worry about me, I won't worry about them.. So far so good..  If some place does give you a hard time, just take it as a good sign that you wouldn't want to waste time there anyways.. one door closes ,another opens up..  There is just too many good places in SL to let a few sour ones slow me down..:)

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Denny Farlight said:

i dont know what i do wrong

I will tell you exactly what you did wrong: you argued with the land owners about their rules.

Land owners have the right to ban anyone from their land, at any time, for any reason, or even for no reason at all. It does not have to be based on the ToS, it does not have to be rational, it does not have to be fair. Their land, their rules...or even just, their whims.

If you want to be on someone's land, you follow their rules, and you remember to BE NICE TO THEM, even if they are, in your view, biased and stupid.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I will tell you exactly what you did wrong: you argued with the land owners about their rules.

Land owners have the right to ban anyone from their land, at any time, for any reason, or even for no reason at all. It does not have to be based on the ToS, it does not have to be rational, it does not have to be fair. Their land, their rules...or even just, their whims.

If you want to be on someone's land, you follow their rules, and you remember to BE NICE TO THEM, even if they are, in your view, biased and stupid.

Thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

If everyone is seven feet tall and you show up as 5 foot tall because it is your real life height, what are we actually expecting to happen? This is Second Life.

Yeah, I've learned to enjoy the differences. More fun for me... *shrug* 

I'm typically 5.5 feet tall, but I maintain a few different size shapes on board from 4 to 7 feet, petite to ThIcC, teen to some mature looks, system avis... It's all good! ❤️

• Like 1

Just now, JeromFranzic said:

Yeah, I've learned to enjoy the differences. More fun for me... *shrug* 

I'm typically 5.5 feet tall, but I maintain a few different size shapes on board from 4 to 7 feet, petite to ThIcC, teen to some mature looks, system avis... It's all good! ❤️

Omg, for halloween this av showed up as a giant av! was so awesome! I love the fact anyone can be anything, just do it where it's allowed.

• Like 2

Just now, Charolotte Caxton said:

Omg, for halloween this av showed up as a giant av! was so awesome! I love the fact anyone can be anything, just do it where it's allowed.

One time, in Caledon, someone rezzed as a giant dragon! was sooo awesome but lagged the sim hard so they had to boot them.

• Like 1

This topic is an evergreen. Yah. Height in second life is just plain weird. I spent most of my first year here being overly self conscious about it. I'm a shorty in rl. Some lucky genes (along with some not some unrelated not so lucky ones) resulted in me having to always show my ID until I was a lot closer to thirty than twenty.

So it was with some apprehension that I began making an avatar I consider a reasonable approximation. I've heard the horror stories. This topic keeps coming up. I was prepared to be booted and harassed all the time.

The reality was... Very tame. There were some weirdos that tried the stepsister approach. I thanked them for the red flag and moved on. There were two sims I got booted out from and frankly, they were nigh on dead.

What remains is a sort of paranoia over my height and appaerance that hasn't really met a response in world anywhere close to the horror stories I keep hearing.

Personally I just file most avatar oddities under creative freedom and weird proportions. After all, SL is probably the only place where someone's bosom can be large enough to struggle with bras and health in rl - and be called flat in world.

And let's not forget the T-Rex cult.

So... ***** is weird. If people give you trouble... I'd say move on. Lots of sims. If it keeps happening ask folks if your proportions maybe make you look especially young.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if this is more of an issue about an anime style face being confused as a child's face. I go around with an avatar that is about 6 feet tall and see plenty of smaller avatars which look like regular adults. I see anime faces on a few but I still don't think of them as children either. You really need to have many child-like elements to be considered one in my opinion. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I wonder if this is more of an issue about an anime style face being confused as a child's face.

One of the first "adult" places I visited in SL had some very prominent "Kemono-no-no" signs (Kemono is a popular anime-esque body).

Anime just really squicks some people I guess.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

The fact that it took so long for anyone to say this was blowing my mind.

If you're going to fight with people that can ban you, you have accept you might get banned, doesn't matter who's right.

If you absolutely need to question the rules, at least wait until after you've made a good impression.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

lol what? if someone calls me teen or even child avatar even tho am clearly adult height am i for sure not nice to those peoples. you seem to claim aswell that i complained to every single owner i´ve met about their height rules. this is not true. the only place where i "kind of" complained which was in my opinion even a good thing to do is the one i´ve mentitioned in my first post where the owner said "its a real life based sim" xD but somehow was everyone 2meters and above tall which is definitly not real life based. it wasnt even complaining to be honest, it was a question why they are 2meters+ tall even tho its a real life based sim, they would need to ban themselfs ^^. but apereanrly the owner switched suddenly from "your avatar is ok now" to simply "its not ok" because i poked a huge flaw in their own rules.

i would even dare to say that those owners which make those rules love to ban peoples aka abuse of rights xD.

Edited by Denny Farlight
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3

22 minutes ago, Denny Farlight said:

aka abuse of rights xD.

On private land, there's only one set of rights that matters - the owner's. Now, if they enforce their guidelines in a way that doesn't make people feel welcome they are prone to suffering the natural consequences of their action. Namely, people don't come back. But it's not an infringement of your rights for them to remove people as they wish. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ValKalAstra said:

So it was with some apprehension that I began making an avatar I consider a reasonable approximation. I've heard the horror stories. This topic keeps coming up. I was prepared to be booted and harassed all the time.

The reality was... Very tame. There were some weirdos that tried the stepsister approach. I thanked them for the red flag and moved on. There were two sims I got booted out from and frankly, they were nigh on dead.

Yeah.

I'm exactly the same height as the OP -- 1.81 m, which is also my RL height -- and, honestly, I literally don't think I've ever been questioned, challenged, or called a minor. My boobs are pretty smallish too -- I generally use Lara Petite or Legacy Perky, so it's not that I look "curvy" or obviously sexually mature.

I am going to guess that it's because, while I do go frequently to Adult rated sims (and in fact live in one) and clubs that double as pick-up joints, I don't (intentionally) go to sex sims. Is it only in such places that people get uptight? I'm not doubting people's experiences -- but it's just never happened to me.

My chief problems with my height have been oversized buildings and furniture in places I want to take a pic, and animations and poses (particularly couples dances).

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

The only way a script can determine your height is by checking the height of your "bounding box", which ends about in the middle of your head. This is the height avatar checkers use, and is the height reported by the LL viewer. Firestorm adds a certain amount to this number when it reports your height to approximate the height to the top of your head.

There are other ways such as also referencing calculation of the height impacting slider values reported by llGetVisualParams(), but no way is perfect until LL gives us a means of getting bone scales/positions.

The puppetry project might be the next best means.

• Like 1

lol what? if someone calls me teen or even child avatar even tho am clearly adult height am i for sure not nice to those peoples. you seem to claim aswell that i complained to every single owner i´ve met about their height rules. this is not true. the only place where i "kind of" complained which was in my opinion even a good thing to do is the one i´ve mentitioned in my first post where the owner said "its a real life based sim" xD but somehow was everyone 2meters and above tall which is definitly not real life based. it wasnt even complaining to be honest, it was a question why they are 2meters+ tall even tho its a real life based sim, they would need to ban themselfs ^^. but apereanrly the owner switched suddenly from "your avatar is ok now" to simply "its not ok" because i poked a huge flaw in their own rules.

i would even dare to say that those owners which make those rules love to ban peoples aka abuse of rights xD.

I'm sure that after reading this thread and seeing the sort of fellowship and good feeling they're missing out on, the region owners will come to conclusions about their height policy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Based on this response, I'm not surprised they decided to just ban you.

• Like 9

There are a few major vehicle makers who've taken a stance on this and size their vehicles for avatars no taller than 6"3". It allows them to be smaller (or RL scale), be lower Li, and allow for better detail in the Li they do use. My home has doorways scaled to normal range human. My AV is 6'1" just like RL with my ears down (I use a rabbit AV).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Denny Farlight said:

for the US peoples which use the different height thing 5'9. its a total legit height irl

I used to run around as a 5'6 female and only got thrown out of a sim once for my appearance, So I am thinking you must be doing something wrong.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 437 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.