delivery failed.... again

Evanescent1488303507

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4684 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Welcome to the world of being a Merchant on the SLM. :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

My deliveries have been normal. I'd take it with a grain of salt, phases of failed deliveries happen frequently. It's a coin toss to the changing of the wind, really. You just have to try and work around the difficulty.

yuppers..Failed sends on  both sides..As a buyer I lost  complete confidence of the stability market place and 70% of my buys these days I get.30% I have to run down makers As a designer I have about the same rate,30% of my buyers are asking me for resends is 30% bad? I duno....Seeing  when I was owned 3rd party it was 100% stable and I never had this problem.

Any suggestions what I can do to improve my success rate?  I'm very new to the marketplace, but was doing really well at first, with problems arising the last week or so.

Since it's all outside your control, the way to improve your success rate is to wait.  Yes, that's right, do nothing.  You can't really influence it.  The problem are invariably not the magic box but all that LL have behind it.

Oh one thing you can do in the interim period is to include text in your listing to the effect DO NOT USE MARKETPLACE, BUY INWORLD.  One of the common ways to increase the failure rate is to use the shopping cart but since you can't change how customers shop, again, it's outside your control.  You can only advise them not to use the shopping cart.

Direct Delivery is coming which removes the reliance on the magic box and the challenges that LL have faced with using their back end with it.

I mostly use the Marketplace as a search tool because even when it works it is sometime slow and I want my items "now" not later.

But, as both a buyer and a merchant, see few problems with single purchase transactions completing (slow sometimes but they get there) and tons of problems with shopping cart sales.

You could drop duplicates of your magic boxes in other regions & sims, but that only works if it's your region causing delivery problems, such as a region with lag. But that won't help at all if it it's on the Marketplace side, and 90% of the time, that's the case. So I don't know if that would help any but it might not hurt to try and see if your ratio improves.

• Moderators

Evanescent wrote:

Anyone else having trouble with sales not completing?  I have stores on two different avs and they have both had the majority of their sales fail to deliver this weekend so far.

Thanks,

Eva

Greetings Eva,

Failed delivery issues are caused by communication issues with the Magic Box.  They are not caused by using the shopping cart, nor Second Life Marketplace web site.

If the Second Life Marketplace web site cannot contact your Magic Box in world then the sale will fail and the SLM Order will show that delivery of the item failed.

If the SLM order shows that the product was delivered and the order was completed, but the buyer says that they did not get the product, then there was a failure in communicaiton with the receiver getting the item. Not a failure with the SLM web site or your Magic Box.

If your SLM orders are showing failed, you can reset and re-sync your Magic Box to ensure that they are working correctly and that the communications between the SLM web site and your Magic Box are established without issues.

If the issue is with the receiver getting the item, then there is nothing you, the seller, can do to correct the issue.  The buyer/receiver must address the issue.

Regards,

Dakota Linden
--
Linden Lab
SL Marketplace Customer Support
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/
http://www.secondlife.com

Dakota Linden wrote:

Failed delivery issues are caused by communication issues with the Magic Box.  They are not caused by using the shopping cart, nor Second Life Marketplace web site.

Dakota, clearly you have access to richer information than we do but when this was xstreet, someone could buy item after item which was delivered from the same magic box without a failure.  In other words, web to magic box communications worked fine.

What happens now is that if someone loads up their cart from the same or different merchant, as merchants, we know very well that a good proportion of those fail.  Now if they're all from the same merchant and some fail, how is that a communications issue with the magic box?  The issue would seem to be NOT the magic box but fundamentally a failure of the web back end to communicate with the magic box, which is most often experienced when the cart is used. 

Maybe it's just terminology about how we each refer to "communications issue with magic box" but we can all present page after page of problems which are exacerbated by the use of the cart.

If you'd like to add detailed information as to the communications used from start to finish in the cart process, the queue mechanism that seems to exist, how it can POSSIBLY (I've learnt the caps thing from Toy) take 8 hours to refund/attempt redelivery (does it even attempt redelivery?), that might help comprehension.

Anyway..forwards with Direct Delivery
:)

• Moderators

Sassy Romano wrote:

Dakota Linden wrote:

Dakota, clearly you have access to richer information than we do but when this was xstreet, someone could buy item after item which was delivered from the same magic box without a failure.  In other words, web to magic box communications worked fine.

What happens now is that if someone loads up their cart from the same or different merchant, as merchants, we know very well that a good proportion of those fail.  Now if they're all from the same merchant and some fail, how is that a communications issue with the magic box?  The issue would seem to be NOT the magic box but fundamentally a failure of the web back end to communicate with the magic box, which is most often experienced when the cart is used. 

Maybe it's just terminology about how we each refer to "communications issue with magic box" but we can all present page after page of problems which are exacerbated by the use of the cart.

If you'd like to add detailed information as to the communications used from start to finish in the cart process, the queue mechanism that seems to exist, how it can POSSIBLY (I've learnt the caps thing from Toy) take 8 hours to refund/attempt redelivery (does it even attempt redelivery?), that might help comprehension.

Anyway..forwards with Direct Delivery
:)

Hiyas Sassy :)

Keep in mind that there are 2 different scenarios here.

One is a failed order.  This is where the order itself shows that delivery of the product failed and the buyer is refunded. In those cases it us usually because there was an issue with the web site communicating with the sellers Magic Box.  The Magic Box could not be contacted, so the web site failed the product sale. This can also be caused by the Magic Box not being able to locate the receiver in world, so it reports back to the web site that it could not deliver the product.

Second is a failed delivery. This means that the order was completed, the sellers Magic Box did send the reciver the item, but the receiver didn't get the product.

Both are lumped together under the term "failed delivery" because delivery of the product was not completed, but for very different reasons.

In both scenario's it is communication issues in world that are causing the problem. Either being able to communicate with the sellers Magic Box, or the receiver beign able to get the delivery of the product itself.

But in neither case is it an issue with the SLM web site itself, including the shopping cart and how many products are, or are not, in the shopping cart, when the buyer processes the purchase order.

The reason why many feel that the issue is excerbated by the shopping cart is because the Magic Box was never designed to handle the sheer volume of sales that are now being processed so blaming the Shopping Cart and the fact that 10 items can be placed into the cart as the problem seems logical, but never actually addresses the real, underlying issue.

The whole communication system for the Magic Box is outdated and whoefuly unable to handle the traffic, and the more products that are added the Marketplace, the worse the issue becomes.

Regards,

Dakota Linden
--
Linden Lab

Hi Dakota, as you know, I'm having quite a few troublesome issues with one magic box in particular. When you say:

"One is a failed order.  This is where the order itself shows that delivery of the product failed and the buyer is refunded. In those cases it us usually because there was an issue with the web site communicating with the sellers Magic Box.  The Magic Box could not be contacted, so the web site failed the product sale. This can also be caused by the Magic Box not being able to locate the receiver in world, so it reports back to the web site that it could not deliver the product."

This is what I 've experienced and documented for the Commerce team. Originally, I have failed deliveries from a couple of magic boxes when sent as gifts; then it morphed into just one magic box failing to deliver one particular line of products (all the other "lines" of products in that box delivered successfully). Then, when I separated out products and left only that one line in its own box (12 items, only 9 active), I still have delivery failures. I placed duplicates on different sims and still had failures. Then suddenly, it worked for two sales, and then stopped working again. In particular, the deliveries fail to my store alt and one particular giftor/giftee combo (he's tried to give the same gift 5 times now with failure everytime). 

WHAT I DON'T understand is why the Marketplace is singling out/failing to communicate with one magic box? I have 11 other magic boxes sitting right next to it and delivering products successfully. If the Marketplace communication is breaking down, why would it single out one lonely little box and not fail to communicate with its neighbors as well?

• Moderators

Hi Arwen,

If the Magic Box is able to deliver some items but not others that are placed into it, and when you remove all of the items that are being delivered and leave only the ones that are not being delivered, and those are still not being sent, it would seem to be a problem with those items themselves.

Have you tried changing the name on one of them?

1. take the item out of the MB

2. rename the item

3. Add the item back to the MB

4. Edit the listing on SLM and asscoiate the listing to the newly named item.

5 purchase the item.

One thing I would recommend is to rename the item something very unique and simple, like Problem Child Dress (or whatever the type of item is it).

This way it is easy to search/find when you reassociate the item and it should be a name that you have probably never used before on any of your items and it contains no characters like brackets, etc.

If the product can be delivered consistently with the item name change, then the scripts in the Magic Box are balking at the names that are being used for that product line and you will need to change all of them to something else.

The FAQ on the old Xstreet SL web site used to warn sellers against using certain types of characters in their product names because the scripts see them differently.

Regards,

Dakota Linden
--
Linden Lab

I received this email and i clicked the link given and it does not exist

Dear arkie24,

Thank you for your recent purchase. Please find your purchase details below:

Order number: 15190693
Purchased using: L$

The following items could not be delivered.  For more details, view your invoice online: http://marketplace.secondlife.com/orders/15190693

Item: White Lattice with planter-triple-redrose
  Quantity: 1
  Price: L$100

I have no item and no refund and no address to communicate with the seller.

The above email was a no replay thing. I feel upset and no knowing how to get it resolved.

The item #27736767 Bought 06/20/11 ID prefix 4d054994

Please help!???????

arkie

i am having the same problem dakota i purchase 7 outfit and none came

Unit Price Qty Total:
    27877828 L$1 1 L$1

27877829 L$1 1 L$1

27877830 L$0 1 L$0

27877831 L$10 1 L$10

27877832 L$9 1 L$9

27877833 L$9 1 L$9

27877834 L$99 1 L$99

Total: L$129

this is unacceptable please tell me how to fix this 

Josh Susanto wrote:

I am now getting failed deliveries at a rate of more than 1 per hour.

If there were some market competing with SLM, I'd be starting to use that right now and not looking back.

Joshua, demand all the money you've paid in commission to be returned.

Ha Ha.

Good point.

OTOH, these kind of incidents just make me feel even more justified in setting my prices too low for commisisons in the first place. Not paying something that isn't earned is a lot easier than getting it back.

If the terms of use included some clause to the effect of "set prices high enough for commissions, or we'll find some way to f### with you", I would have to consider that in earnest. But they contain no such clause; probably because it could be construed as a form of threat or attempted extortion.

If they want more commissions, they can get them off of the multiple orders that go above 9L in price, but I guess that will also require them to deliver more than 9L worth of items per such order, which is not the direction in which they've been heading for the last 24 hours.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4684 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.