Model & Photographer gathering place

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 183 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I restarted SL photography this month, after 15 years away (I still came back to SL many times, just no photography).

Back in the day (2007), we had a SIM that was a meeting place for models, photographers, beginners, etc. It was a great place to hang out, make friends, learn and practice photography & modeling. All free. This was prior to modeling schools.

Is there such a place today?

Edited by Nikolai Fellini
  • Like 1

*ponders* I'm not aware of any Sim like that. I like the idea of it but I wonder if it would go well with the current Second Life culture. From my personal experience of hanging out in popular photography sims - they seem to be glorified pick up places for people. It's actually worse than in adult clubs, oddly enough.

Art galleries are sadly often deserted. I think I've had the most luck connecting with other artists by finding links in profiles and by joining photography groups. Might need to check a few to see if the general vibe fits.

• Like 1

I suspect the closest one gets to what you are asking about these days are the "Backdrop" regions. People go to those to take pictures.

The forum has a couple of threads for photographer-models.... check the People Forum->Your Avatar section to find them.

As for hanging out... oddly it seems easier to stay in touch on the forum. People do not have to be on at the same time.

• Like 2

Focus puts out a monthly magazine, has contests, events, gallery showings, in-world group, and a group on Flickr. They are reasonably active and generally fun. Their events offer better opportunities for meeting people and talking.

In places like Backdrop City it is a bit tougher to get people talking. They are often intent on the image they want to create. But, consider asking for help in local chat. Ask for someone to pose with you for a shot or ask how to tweak the Windlight. Surprising how many people in SL are actually helpful souls.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I love the idea of it! 

While Backdrop City has one of the largest variety of backdrops and is treasure trove for photographers or anyone interested in taking pics it doesn't have a community like some other photo orientated places around the grid. In another thread I mentioned someone of the most popular places for photos which also have community formed around them, although they don't have designated place where people get together and hang out.

Sunny's Photo Studio and it's group(you're required to join to group to use the sim) has fairly active community. Another and my personal favourite is Naturally Naughty Photo(don't mind the name :D) in my opinion is most active and engaging photography community I know of where's always some discussion going in the group chat. The moderators are wonderful people and very respectful towards anyone. They used to even themed contests for fun by choosing specific backdrop model and pose within the sim and having people come over and test their skills.

Honestly. I never understood why FFXIV can have something awesome like GPOSERS but SL users are stuck with little cliques of people in different social platforms.
Not to mention the interpersonal drama in the entire scene...

Edited by PekeNL
Typos

52 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

If it isn't there, IMHO one can always take initiative and start something, like Doris suggested a few posts back.
Photography isn't my main purpose being in SL, but if it was, I knew what to do.

I would if I had the finances for it. Although I think that at this point - The SL community is already such a splintered group of little clubs I doubt it'd be worth the investment.

Edited by PekeNL

Madison Arnahan and myself have started such a group  AND she has a good meeting place in SL.   

If you are interested feel free to contact either of use for more information.

We want this to be a serious group.  Some groups I've been in were an outlet for displaying d***picks.  That is NOT our goal. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm the owner of Enchanted Mermaid Gallery which features exhibits and I have purchased photography for my own collection. No only am I seeking photographers to sell and exhibit their work there, I am open to artists/photographers meeting there. The upstairs wing has a talk-show like stage you can use or I can set up tables and chairs for you. IM me (Netera Landar) or send me a notecard for info. It would only not be available when I have live entertainment, which I'm hoping is a few times a month. Let's work together.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Nemento/193/86/23

--Netera Landar

Our group is

SL Photography and Art Discussion.

If you have an interest look one of us up. 

Our goal is to discuss the aspects of photography, but also help people who are starting the hobby  or want to start.  With the number of great photographers in SL and on this forum we can be a tremendous asset to each other but also Avatars new to photography.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Getting back to this idea, I sent a message with more details, to 50 Flickr photographers, and the response was overwhelmingly positive. What are the thoughts of photographers, bloggers & models here?

-------------------------- Email from Flickr----------------------------------------

Back in the day (2007) we had an island for photographers, bloggers and models to hang out. I am messaging you and other photographers to see if you would be interested in spending time in such a place.

There will be some studio space and landscaping for photos. But since there are already many backdrop places and good landscapes in SL, our space will be for easy access for beginner photographers & models to work together.

There will also be many places showcasing the work of photographers on Flickr, etc. All free. The idea is to provide a place in SL for displaying the beautiful work, currently only seen on Flickr, etc. This will not be a gallery to sell work, but to provide a constantly rotating display of Flickr art, in world.

There will be a beach, some parks, and a dance club as well. The plan is to to require group membership to be on most of the island. The group will be free and membership will be by referral. We will use the group tag to keep out the bots and minimize griefing.

Please let me know of your interest, thoughts & ideas about the project. Our primary goal is to provide a safe place for all SL Flickrites to meet and see some of each others work in world.

Thanks,

An update on this project for an inworld, photographer/blogger/model gathering place

After the obligatory, RL delay issues. We have purchased the full SIM, and hired renowned Landscaper, Kaiden Tray. Construction to start in early June.

For anyone interested in being involved at the begging and help define our purpose, feel free to IM me on the forum or inworld, or respond here.

Below is our preliminary Purpose Statement for your review. The project is called Les Belles Isle.

Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Les Belles Isle – A place for photographers, bloggers and models to hangout socially, and work on projects together. Note - membership to Les Belles is free.

The idea is to provide an inworld presence for all the many things that photographers/bloggers now find outside of SL. And to provide a place for Flickr photographers, bloggers, models to meet each other inworld.

SIM Layout (full SIM) ideas

1. The SIM will only be open to members (membership is free and by referral only).
2. A large open Central Plaza, similar to Plaza San Marco in Venice.
3. At one end of the Plaza, a beach
4. At the other end of the plaza, an outdoor club.
5. Surrounding the inside of the plaza, buildings and/or booths to display pics from the Flickr streams of members. Not to sell, but simply to display. Displays will be rotated periodically. There will be no cost for displaying images.
6. A Theater for guest speakers & training
7. Indoor studio space for use of members and for training (outside the plaza).
8. Surrounding the outside of the plaza, will be a few landscaped zones to use for photography backgrounds. There will only be a few of these, since there are already many great backgrounds and picturesque locations in SL.
9. A central location providing teleport links (with pics) to the many photogenic & background locations for photographers & bloggers to use. This will provide an easy (inworld) way to find these locations.
10. A central location providing teleport links for fashion events, modeling agencies, various trainings of interest to the photography/blogging community.

Testing the new inworld displays on Les Belles Isle

The top screen randomly shows member's photostreams. The bottom randomly scrolls thru that member's latest images.

Les Belles Isle is the new inworld gathering place for photographers, bloggers & models.

IM for invite

Displaytest1_001ps.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 183 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.