SL Photography

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4399 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone!

Recently, I have been snapping pictures and I've noticed 1 line going across the top of the image and 1 line going down the right side. Is this an issues with SL? The way I take pictures is "shoot first, aim later" then I hit the refresh button after I've repositioned the camera angle to my liking, and that is when I notice those 2 lines. Any advice on how to fix this? I'm running Viewer 2.6. Example shot:

The Dark Swamp_006.jpg

I have this problem too, and it makes me nuts. It appears when taking pictures of water, sea, and when using shadows.

It seems the only solution is to take same size, or even smaller pictures then the screen resolution width. Like, if you have 1400X900, you can't go over that. It sucks, since I always take pictures twice or three times as big. But then, the lines appear.

• Lindens

Friendly greetings FrankiePalmero! I wish this defect was made more clear ahead of time (because I hate taking snapshots only to find them ruined when I browse them on disk). I've seen the same bug, or at least, similar bugs before. One thing I did that helped — while costly — was to get a bigger monitor so I could capture at a higher resolution to begin with. Then you have more freedom to crop out unsightly crap, too, not to mention seeing more of SL in general.

Also, I seem to recall these seams show up due to conflicts between how several graphical things are rendered. What Marianne mentions might be because a long time ago, a tradeoff was made to have ripple water appear correctly.

One thing you can try: in PREFERENCES > Graphics tab, click the Hardware button and disable Antialiasing if you have that on. Then restart the SL Viewer and test. The drawback, of course, is edges look jaggy without antialiasing, providing little or no benefit to shooting at a higher resolution. (Antialiasing used to work fine with high-res snapshots but complications in the aforementioned graphics rendering pipeline has led to where we are today.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Frankie, I had the same problem. I use V2.7.2 and always have high rez snapshot enabled under the advanced menu. This is usually great because it gives me photos at 4 times the quality of my screen size. However, if I am using certain sky settings or other advanced features I get a horizontal and sometimes also a vertical line in my photo. If I uncheck high rez snapshots, there are no lines. So now, I will take a photo with high rez enabled, review the photo, and if there is a line, I uncheck it. No line, I carry on as normal. 

In short, having high rez snapshot enabled is usually great except when taking photos with other than standard lighting, to include shadows and dof effects.

I got into a habit of taking one photo, checking for lines, then continue. Check each time you adjust lighting. A pain, yes, but less so than spending a lot of time taking what you think are fabulous shots, only to notice a horrible line through the middle of it :( 

lines.jpg

For me, the lines are always exactly through the center of the photo, regardless of the texturing. When they are vertical, they are always through the center as well. In Frankie's photo you can see that his lines are through the sky, where there are no texture seams, just the sky and clouds. 

The lines for me are only visible after the photo is taken. If I have high  rez snapshot enabled. Under certain lighting conditions.

The line cuts over the bunny and everything straight through the center horizontally in this example. 

example.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Torley,

Thank you for trying to find us a solution to the "weird lines" problem when taking High Res snapshots but it seems your answer does not work for me though :/

i unchecked anti aliasing, i lowered the pixels, i unchecked shadows, etc etc.. nothing seems to be helping me with this problem.. are there any more suggestions that i can try out to have "normal" pictures again without lines going across the image?

Thanks vm!

Bandit Rascon

• 5 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4399 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.