Low poly fur

DulceDiva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 475 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 hours ago, DulceDiva said:

How can this style of messy fur be achieved in a low poly version? Or is it even possible? 🤔

Ooooo, that's a lovely challenge!

Whether it's possible depends on how you define low poly. It should be possible to manage well under 10 000 tris but if you manage to get it below 1 000, you're a true genius!

The trick is to treat it like a hair piece. Make as much as possible from a plain low poly base with an opaque texture, then add bent panels with an alpha fur texture on top of it. You also want to give the normal and specular maps some serious attention, they can make a lto of difference for something like this.

• Like 3

@ChinRey I believe tris means triangles,right? I'm quite a newbie to 3d content creation/Blender. Made a few things so far but I like to challenge myself in order to learn. Never made a hair, but there's a tutorial on YouTube. I'll try and see if I can get anywhere with it 😁 ! Thanks for the tip!

@DulceDivaI'd recommend searching for the term "hair cards" in order to get the most relevant results (since there are other methods of creating hair so it's best to be specific).

Rather than using flat or bent "cards" for the entire thing I'd suggest trying cones or tapered cylinders for the arms (don't forget to remove the top and bottom) and using the cards for the torso area.

You may also want to try using quite high resolution tiled textures and setting the transparency to alpha masking rather than using alpha blending, otherwise you're likely to encounter a lot of alpha sorting issues with hair, etc.

Lastly, if you want to save a few tri(angle)s ;) then you could try creating the base as a system/BOM layer rather than as part of the main mesh (but it really depends on the style of jacket, anything too bulky and you'll probably want to make the base out of mesh too).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2022 at 1:04 AM, DulceDiva said:

Hello. So I looked at different Blender tools/modifiers/techniques, but couldn't find an answer.Therefore, I'm open to tips/advice/suggestions.🙂

How can this style of messy fur be achieved in a low poly version? Or is it even possible? 🤔

Screenshot_20221214_020240_Gallery.jpg

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/HairTechnique

Have a look here.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 475 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.