Is there anyway to send a private message to an avatar (not the object owner) from a script

jak Scribe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 497 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I tried using llInstantMessage and llRegionSayTo, but they send a message to the "Nearby Chat" window.

I am looking for a message to appear in a "Private" window.

Why you ask?

I want to send information to the avatar using my HUD, that can be copied/pasted into a Notecard.

Iinformation sent to the "Nearby Chat" window will be mixed up between other messages, also the Object name will be at the start of each line sent, making it harder to copy/paste whats needed.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Jak

("The head is round, so that  thoughts can change direction  - Francis Picabia)

Yeah, despite the name, llInstantMessage doesn't actually send the text to a private message window. However there are some other options you may want to try.

Firstly, you can add some formatting to the message sent such that it stands out a little better in the chat window. For example, you can preface the message sent with "\n". That will cause any text after that to appear on a new line. You can use that to separate it from the sending object's name. For example, the string:

"********\nThis is a test.\n********"

Will appear as:

This is a test.

Alternatively, you could try sending the message via llDialog or llTextBox. This causes a little popup to appear along with whatever text you want (up to 511 and 250 bytes respectively). The text can be manually selected and copied.

Edited by Fenix Eldritch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For what it's worth, Radegast and Cool VL Viewer (and possibly others) can be set to automatically send IMs under various conditions, a technique usually referred to as "Using a bot".

ETA: Have you tried llRegionSayTo yourself on DEBUG_CHANNEL ? that doesn't work, but llWhisper(DEBUG_CHANNEL,"Testing"); might be discreet enough.

Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 497 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.