I Found the Christmas Expo Auction Very Confusing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 490 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have never done any SL auctions before this one. I bid on the 12-month Premium Plus package from Linden Lab. My understanding was that the auction ended at 9:59 AM on Sunday December 11. As it happens, that is also my husband's RL birthday, and a club we belong two threw a party for him and two other members who all (amazingly) also had their birthday on Dec 11. The party started at 10 AM SLT and hubby wanted to leave for the party at 9:30 but agreed to wait until 10:05 when the auction was all over so I could see if I won and place any last minute bids.

Then at 9:50 AM, someone made an announcement that the live auction would start at 10 AM SLT or so, and bidding would begin at the highest price from the silent (e.g. auction board) auction. Obviously I could not stay for the live auction because of the club's birthday party.

When I got back online at 4 PM SLT, I went and looked at the auction board. It said I was the winner but I had not received any sort of notification.  I decided to hold of paying until I could confirm this, as this auction was confusing. An official got back to me the next morning that I had been outbid at the live auction even though the silent auction board still said I was the "winner."

Are all SL auctions like this? if so, why bother having the silent auction before the live one? it is really confusing to "win" only to find out that it is really not so, and that bidding is continuing in a different format.

Edited by Teresa Firelight
added an accidentally ommitted word that changes meaning of sentence
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

280704640_auctioninformation.png.a9b4820258fb20695b00820bf91cd9a5.png

The auction information says that the closing bid for the silent auction becomes the opening bid for the live auction.  It seems like it could have been made much, much, much more clear; but at least it was there.  I'm not an auction pro and I didn't attend this particular one; stuff like this is confusing to me even without the small print.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, First Noelle said:

280704640_auctioninformation.png.a9b4820258fb20695b00820bf91cd9a5.png

The auction information says that the closing bid for the silent auction becomes the opening bid for the live auction.  It seems like it could have been made much, much, much more clear; but at least it was there.  I'm not an auction pro and I didn't attend this particular one; stuff like this is confusing to me even without the small print.

Hopefully if they do this again in the future, they will make that information clear in the bidding area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elena Core said:

I agree on the lack of information. For example, have/ are the raffle winners been/going to be announced?

Yeah, I wish this aspect were a little bit better.  I love the expo and attend every year. But it can be a little frustrating not to know stuff like raffle winners. I know they announced winners in world, but not everyone can be inworld at that time, but there's no announcement anywhere else. I had to contact someone inworld about the snowman competition (they were super helpful about it), but it would be nice to know where to find these things out. The expo website doesn't show anything, and often has tp links that don't work. I don't mean to sound disparaging because I really appreciate what they do every year, and the money they raise, which is awesome.  But updates and tp links would be really helpful.

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
  • Like 4

I have Been a part of the Expo auction for 5 seasons now.  Every season we run it the same.  there is a silent bid up until the final day.  then those silent auctions go into a live bid for the highest offer from the silent auction.  Announcements we made about the auction in Expo group, RFL Volunteers and Expo production (staff and merchants).  There were signs posted at the event and even on the Christmas expo website. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Stytchwytch said:

I have Been a part of the Expo auction for 5 seasons now.  Every season we run it the same.  there is a silent bid up until the final day.  then those silent auctions go into a live bid for the highest offer from the silent auction.  Announcements we made about the auction in Expo group, RFL Volunteers and Expo production (staff and merchants).  There were signs posted at the event and even on the Christmas expo website. 

What is the point of that? Maybe I'm confusing your Expo with other events that have separate live bids vs silent auctions, offering similar but different packages, specifically Linden Homes-related things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Elena Core said:

I love SL, but communication has never been the strongest point of the Lab

IIRC, the Christmas Expo is not run by LL, it's run by residents with Linden participation. All logistics, including adverts, are therefore probably handled by the Expo organizers, not LL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

@StytchwytchThank you for the information on winners.

For those of us, like myself, who are not group members of the aforementioned groups and are unfamiliar with where to find the information, would you be willing to provide the url where in the Christmas Expo website we can find the winner information? (Or any other website where that information may be posted.)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

For those of us, like myself, who are not group members of the aforementioned groups and are unfamiliar with where to find the information, would you be willing to provide the url where in the Christmas Expo website we can find the winner information? (Or any other website where that information may be posted.)

I'm in the public group for the expo. I don't see any notices with the raffle winners, so I don't think the information you want is out there. In general, this event is very much about the live events and focused on the people who can attend them. The rest is just sort of there if you stumble on it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Event organizers can defend how they run the event, or take this as feedback. After the event ends, disclose summary/winners. Be even more clear next year about the auctions. Even though this is for charity, it's still relying on the generosity of SL residents and the LH packages/as well as regions were graciously donated by Linden Lab. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, AzureWaves said:

Event organizers can defend how they run the event, or take this as feedback. After the event ends, disclose summary/winners. Be even more clear next year about the auctions. Even though this is for charity, it's still relying on the generosity of SL residents and the LH packages/as well as regions were graciously donated by Linden Lab. 

Seconded, quite right.  I hope they see this as feedback and use it. 

• Like 1

On 12/14/2022 at 12:23 AM, Nika Talaj said:

IIRC, the Christmas Expo is not run by LL, it's run by residents with Linden participation. All logistics, including adverts, are therefore probably handled by the Expo organizers, not LL.

Yes when I won the organisers contacted me and then passed it onto the Lindens who contacted me. LL contacted through support ticket, not inworld. 

On 12/12/2022 at 1:30 PM, Teresa Firelight said:

An official got back to me the next morning that I had been outbid at the live auction even though the silent auction board still said I was the "winner."

1. I sympathize with Teresea. I would also be confused.

2. Combining silent and live auctions as two stages of a single auction is a very bad idea, as it contradicts the expectations of anyone who has ever participated in a real world auction.

3. On a separate topic, I wish the Lindens/Moles would refrain from getting involved with in world charity events, as it shows favoritism (not a good look). If Brad and Randy want to contribute to ACS, they should write a check, privately.

• Like 2

RFL has a history of auctions , IN MY OPINION, run for maximum dollars regardless --  Yes, there are laws that apply. https://oag.ca.gov/charities

That's a starting point.

Since Linden Lab was involved this go round, from what I read in this thread,  I assume that their legal department vetted all of the RFL  behavior and stands behind this IN MY OPINION  switcheroo approach. Not saying it's illegal-- that's for the courts , just sayin' how it FEELS to me.

Silent auctions are a way for bidders to manage their outgo prudently, not be tied to an auction attendance  time frame -- being USED to beef up the base bid and not make it crystal clear that you do have to attend to have a hope of winning  is just FOUL  IN MY OPINION. Or did RFL send notices "thanks for your bid of xx for yy, to WIN this item you'll NEED to appear in world on 12/xx  at xx pm slt to have a chance of actually getting the item. "

One would hope the sentence would end with " And thanks for bidding against your own best interests in placing the silent bid "

If you value the RL work that that charity does, have evaluated the percentage they report as needed for fund raising and think the executive salaries are right and proper,  may I suggest you donate in RL , take the RL tax deduction and apply those  tax savings to the purchase of a SL premium plan. It will be better for your bottom line and easier on your heart rate. And RL, everybody wins.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2022 at 12:51 AM, Stytchwytch said:

I'm almost 16 years active in SL now, never ever heard of this Expo and actions, so I guess there is a lot of room for improvement on the advertisement side of this event.

Edited by Sid Nagy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 490 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.