Questions about BOM

Claurice

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 463 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this but I would like some input.

First off I know it has been around for a while now, but I am really slow when it comes to new stuff so you can pretty much say I am a fence sitter.

I would like to know:

1 What exactly is it?

2 What is it's advantages?

3 How exactly is it used i.e. what exactly is the process and the things that are required/needed other then a compatible viewer.

This is very prevalent in the game now, and would like to know if it is worth even investing my time in it.

I would appreciate any input on this, Thanks!

2 hours ago, Claurice said:

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this but I would like some input.

First off I know it has been around for a while now, but I am really slow when it comes to new stuff so you can pretty much say I am a fence sitter.

I would like to know:

1 What exactly is it?

2 What is it's advantages?

3 How exactly is it used i.e. what exactly is the process and the things that are required/needed other then a compatible viewer.

This is very prevalent in the game now, and would like to know if it is worth even investing my time in it.

I would appreciate any input on this, Thanks!

Start here...

On 4/4/2018 at 3:09 PM, Alexa Linden said:

Good morning everyone!

Bakes on Mesh is a new feature to allow system avatar baked textures to be shown on mesh attachments. Currently you will need a special project viewer to use it. Bakes on Mesh does not depend on simulator code, so it should work in all regions and all grids. 

What's a baked texture and why would I want it on Mesh?

If you use a standard system avatar, you can wear several texture layers to customize your skin and add tattoos and clothing layers. To save processing time and provide everyone on any system the same view of your appearance, those textures are "baked" by a server into a single combined texture. That's great, but until now if you want to use a custom mesh body part it would need its own texturing system to provide a similar ability to customize its appearance. In addition, you usually need to apply an "alpha" texture to the underlying standard avatar body part to hide it so that it doesn't interfere with your custom part.

With this new viewer feature, you can apply any system skins and other layers to your avatar (you don't need or want the alpha layer), and then tell the viewer to apply the resulting baked texture to your the mesh body part; the underlying system avatar part that would otherwise have gotten those textures is hidden for you automatically.

Basic Features 

• Any face of a mesh object can be textured using one of the server baked textures. 
  • The corresponding region of the system avatar is hidden if an attached mesh is using a baked texture. 

Benefits 

• Avoid the need for appliers -> easier customization workflow 
  • Avoid the need for onion avatars -> fewer meshes, fewer textures at display time 
  • Avoid the need to sell full-perm meshes. You can customize any mesh you have modify permissions for simply by setting the flags and equipping the appropriate wearables. 

Avatar wearables are baked into six different textures (BAKE_HEAD, BAKE_UPPER, BAKE_LOWER, BAKE_EYES, BAKE_SKIRT, BAKE_HAIR) by the baking service. You can now apply these textures to your avatar’s object attachments' diffuse texture. 

1. Right click on the attachment, click edit and from the edit face menu select textures. 
  2. Click the diffuse texture icon to open up the texture picker. 
  3. The texture picker has an extra radio button mode called 'bake' for selecting server bakes. The 'bake' radio button mode has a dropdown for selecting BAKE_HEAD, BAKE_UPPER, BAKE_LOWER, BAKE_EYES, BAKE_SKIRT, BAKE_HAIR server bake textures. 

When an attachment is using a baked texture, the corresponding base mesh region of the system avatar is hidden. 

If a mesh face is set to show a baked texture but is not attached to an avatar, you will see a default baked texture. If you are using an older viewer without bakes on mesh support, then faces set to show baked textures will also display as the default baked texture, and base mesh regions will not be hidden. 

Known Issues 
Detaching a mesh object that’s using BAKED_HAIR, does not make the base hair region visible. You have to log back in or teleport again. This will be fixed in an upcoming release.  

There are inworld Content User Group Meetings we encourage you to attend to discuss your questions and give feedback.  For more information see Content User Group

Download the Viewer here

For more technical input, please file a Jira

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Essential it is just a texture that "bakes on" to whatever mesh object you are adding it to. For example makeup, tattoos, head skins, etc.

The idea of BOM itself and the process is not really new. This is exactly how we used to make tattoo layers for the original SL bodies. But now that most bodies are mesh, BOM is used to simulate the same thing. A simple .PNG file and 10L to upload is all it takes. 

Hope that answered anything. :)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 463 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.