The reason why the owner of (data collecting) bots are griefers!

deeepurple

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 495 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone,

I'm opening this topic because of the huge amount of bots who are 'invading' all sims, whether you like it or not. To be precise, I'm talking about the bots who are teleporting on a sim for a few seconds before they leave again.

Here are the reasons why I dislike em:

• They pretend to be a normal avatar with a 'real person behind' (they have more or less 'proper' name, and also no description in the profile that marks em being a data collecting bot)
  • It's obvious that they are collecting some kind of data. What kind of data? Noone knows, and noone agreed to it!
  • They are frequently teleporting into private skyboxes
  • The bot owners are creating more and more accounts to circumvent sim bans

The last point is why bot owners should be treated as griefers! As some of you might know, it's only possible to ban 300 avatars per sim via the Property-Info panel. The bot owners are aware of this. They circumvent the decision of the sim owners by creating more and more accounts until the sim owner gives up, or until the banlist has reached it's limit of 300 entries. Even if additional security orbs can handle more than 300 avatars/entries, they always need a few seconds until they eject, enough time for the bots to collect what they want.

That's why I would ask @Linden Lab if there is a way to get rid of the unwanted griefers/data collecting bots?

Kind regards,
Dee

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, deeepurple said:

is there a way to get rid of the unwanted griefers/data collecting bots?

open only for groupmembers, payment info, or other restrictions you already have in the land and region controls.

The reason why the owner of (data collecting) bots are griefers!

opinion, no fact.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

open only for groupmembers, payment info, or other restrictions you already have in the land and region controls.

That's an option, yes. But also not for everyone I guess.

48 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

opinion, no fact.

I must disagree. For me it's a fact:

You are banning a person for whatever reason. That person comes back with a new avatar. You are banning that person again. The same person keeps coming back another 100 times, using new accounts over and over again, even if that person knows that he/she isn't welcome. That's griefing.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, deeepurple said:

That's an option, yes. But also not for everyone I guess.

I must disagree. For me it's a fact:

You are banning a person for whatever reason. That person comes back with a new avatar. You are banning that person again. The same person keeps coming back another 100 times, using new accounts over and over again, even if that person knows that he/she isn't welcome. That's griefing.

Talk to Linden Lab.   You're the 3746847th person to complain about it in the forums.  WE can't help you.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Talk to Linden Lab.   You're the 3746847th person to complain about it in the forums.  WE can't help you.

Isn't it the other way round? They get all indignant over something, complain at the the Lindens and then, when the Lindens tell 'em to take a hike, they come to the forums to express their outrage?

The Lab should pay US for ridiculing them until they go away :D

• Like 3

Thanks, I know I'm not the first, and not the last person who is complaining about this. But that's how you change things (at least sometimes). If you keep complaining, and complaining, and complaining about things that suck. At least it's better to talk about it over and over again instead of saying "..oh, look... we had this topic back in 1794... well, let's not bring up that topic again then.". At least in my opinion! 

• Haha 1

• Moles

As a few people have pointed out, there have been several lengthy threads on this same topic this season, most of which have degenerated into a familiar cycle of harsh comments. People who are interested should review some of those discussions. If you are concerned about a possible TOS violation, please consider using the Abuse Report process.  If you have a suggestion for a new feature, please submit a request in the JIRA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 495 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.