Persistent inventory loss

peggy215

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 473 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello all, I'll try to be brief with this otherwise complicated problem.

For 5 or more days, I cannot see anything in my inventory, or my avatar, or my landmarks, anything at all. The folders are there but there's literally nothing in them (including the default Library folder)

The total inventory count is missing more than 3/4 of what I originally had. The count number below is stuck at "fetching # elements...". That number won't progress.

My "current outfit" folder seems empty, as if my avatar is not wearing nothing at all. Likewise, Appearance/Wearing also seems empty and is stuck at "loading...". The "worn" tab on inventory is also empty and is stuck at "searching..."

I cannot wear, add or detach anything. When I try to remove a hud on my screen, I get the warning "Could not put on outfit. The outfit folder contains no clothing, body parts, or attachments." My avatar is an orange cloud.

Even my avatar name or groups are not shown on my profile page.

I've sent a support ticket to Linden Labs but from what I've seen from other forum posts it may take several days for them to return, so I'm hoping someone here may have a guess on what's wrong.

Here are some solutions I tried this week:

+ Cleaning cache folders didn't fix it.

+ Clean installing the viewer didn't fix it.

+ Trying different viewers didn't fix it.

+ Trying a different PC didn't fix it. It worked on my first try but the next day the same happened on that PC too.

+ Logging in with a different account experiences the same problem.

+ Whitelisting SL folders didn't fix it.

+ Changing regions didn't fix it.

+ Copy-pasting the cache and user setting files from another working PC didn't fix it.

+ turning "NoInventoryLibrary" debug setting to False or True didn't fix it.

Screenshot 2022-12-09 211519.png

Edited by peggy215

9 answers to this question

5 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

The following thread discusses this issue.

Thank you for the answer,

I skimmed the thread to the end, it seems like they have a guess on why it is happening. Okay, we should wait a bit after shutting SL off. But how can I get my inventory back in the first place? I couldn't see a solution on how to fix it first. I don't know a lot about the Jira if the answer was there :(

Just now, peggy215 said:

Thank you for the answer,

I skimmed the thread to the end, it seems like they have a guess on why it is happening. Okay, we should wait a bit after shutting SL off. But how can I get my inventory back in the first place? I couldn't see a solution on how to fix it first. I don't know a lot about the Jira if the answer was there :(

Clear INVENTORY cache and relog.  This should repopulate your inventory.

11 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Clear INVENTORY cache and relog.  This should repopulate your inventory.

Unfortunately no, it didn't fix it. The inventory count is still stuck at "fetching" and won't progress.

I think if it was about cleaning the cache, it would have been fixed on one of the clean installs at least.

Just to confirm: you have manually deleted the entire cache folder, whcih contains the objectcache and texturecache subfolders and others, yes?

If so, then I don't know what to say other than you need LL's help. My issue was due to inventory cache truncation caused by shuttind down the OS before the viewer had written the cache files. That is fixed by a simple inventory cache wipe though, followed by a relog and reload inventory. I had one instance some time back where even that failed and the only way to recover my full inventory was to wipe the entire cache folder. Never figured out what caused that, but again the wipe and subsequent reload fixed it. The rapid shutdown is easy to avoid simply by waiting a minute after closing the viewer before shutting down the OS.

Your issue, while possibly related, sounds different and worse to mine. If a really clean install isn't helping... I'm stuck. The curious thing to me is that switching to a different PC worked at first, but then suffered the same issue. People will certainly suggest a network/internet problem at some point to you, if the inventory is failing to reload fully after a wipe.

6 minutes ago, Rick Daylight said:

Just to confirm: you have manually deleted the entire cache folder, whcih contains the objectcache and texturecache subfolders and others, yes?

Hello, thank you for answering.

Yes, after uninstalling the viewer I then went to my C drive to clean everything SL related in "users" folders too.

I can still see my full inventory on mobile app Lumiya, but since it's not an approved viewer and has it's own bugs I didn't find it worth mentioning. So the inventory is there, but for some reason my PC won't load it.

I'll try rebooting the modem tomorrow, and will try using my mobile internet on my PC to see if it changes anything.

Update:

I tried resetting modem. It indeed solved my "inventory won't load even after cleaning cache" problem. I was able to login 4-5 times succesfully and see my full inventory without issues. Of course I also waited a few minutes after every time I close the viewer.

The support contacted me today but since the issue seems to be gone for the time being we decided to keep their solution on hold. If anyone is interested, they first offered a solution with a script to fix my corrupted inventory (don't ask me details, I don't understand them) but this prevented me from loging in, so their next solution (if the problem shows up again) was to log into my account and investigate the problem there.

Thanks for all the help! I'll update if something changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 473 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.