How old in terms of "physical age" do you think the average adult human avatar is?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

29 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Your avi could look close to 27 because reminds me a bit of Jim Morrison at that age.  

jim2.jpg

Today was the anniversary of his birth, and also the anniversary of when he was posthumously acquitted of a "wardrobe malfunction". It was in the morning news on the radio.

• Like 3

Avatar ages? Who knows. Never thought about it. Mine don't have ages. I have them categorized as simply "alive" or "undead."

Come to think of it, I almost never associate age with avatars in SL. I guess that's what I get for playing so many games in general. Unless age is a direct focus in a plot (say like Joel and Ellie in The Last of Us, or Kratos and BOY!! in God of War), I don't even notice it.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The second reason is that, as a culture, we've decided that men age "better" than women.

Agree,  @Scylla Rhiadra. We as a human race are quite lopsided in how we view and value our genders' growing older. Older women and men have much to offer their communities. 

One very cool thing about SL is that we can represent ourselves however we want--emphasizing any aspect we want. 

Love that. ❤

• Like 4

18 hours ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Cartoon's are okay.  Dinkies are a type of cartoon avi.  It's just that the faces, honestly, do not need to be that young.   I'd like to be young again too, but age of consent or about 20 is good for me if I want to be younger in SL.

Personally dinkies and such never bothered me,

the kind of avatars that clearly promote pedophilia and hang around in "Second Life's Adults Clubs"

are bothering me including all those nice people who act like they don't see something wrong to speak about it.

I am a bit "old fashioned" when it comes to such things.

[2022/12/08 16:03]  Nick0678: might be good to put some "minimum" height limits to your place. starts to look way too pedo http://i.imgur.com/d?a?Sc?.png
[2022/12/08 18:38]  *******: thank you for the heads up

d5apScs.thumb.png.5f29063043f6c7ae61bd0e350b3896f9.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

How old is a Tiny?  As old as their appetite, maybe.

We has "the Moms" that feed us.  There is always so much food.  We are the lucky ones here.

I have been realizing lately just how privileged we are to be in SL, all of us.  There are people who only dream of what kind of avatars and wardrobes they wish they could have but could never afford.  

On another note, I'd love to see more skins and shapes that really look 19 to 21 for females and show where this market is.  It's not so easy to find, imo.  Either 30 something or way too young seems more the norm.  I think the classic avi's tended to look more in their early 20's as the norm (average).  The thing with Kawaii is it's trying to blend cute with sexy and it fails quite a lot.  But, even Betty Boop was considered the exaggerated curvy girl who was dumb and cute as I read a bit in the Wikipedia yesterday.    The dumb, cute and sexy then moved onto the dumb blonde stereotype and really took off with Marilyn Monroe.  Blending cute with sexy can be done tastefully, however, rather than so young of a face, such as 5 to 12 years old.  

Edited by EliseAnne85

1 hour ago, EliseAnne85 said:

On another note, I'd love to see more skins and shapes that really look 19 to 21 for females and show where this market is.  It's not so easy to find, imo.  Either 30 something or way too young seems more the norm.  I think the classic avi's tended to look more in their early 20's as the norm (average).

19-21 is a very easy target to reach. For heads, you've got plenty from Lel that could fit that range. Milan, Ora, Lilly, Sasha, Rin, Briannon, just to name a random few. More options if you dip into Akeruka's line. For skins, leLAPEAU has some really nice options, plus Velour, Not Found, Reed, Heaux, Pumec, Nuve, Ives, etc. Use Izzie's or Jack Spoon on top to personalize faces (freckles can help a ton). Hair plays a big role in that, too. Faga and Wasabi have lots of cute styles to fit that range. For shapes - make them from scratch - preferably using references.

If you go in with an age in mind, and shop with said age in mind, you can get there without much issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

19-21 is a very easy target to reach. For heads, you've got plenty from Lel that could fit that range. Milan, Ora, Lilly, Sasha, Rin, Briannon, just to name a random few. More options if you dip into Akeruka's line. For skins, leLAPEAU has some really nice options, plus Velour, Not Found, Reed, Heaux, Pumec, Nuve, Ives, etc. Use Izzie's or Jack Spoon on top to personalize faces (freckles can help a ton). Hair plays a big role in that, too. Faga and Wasabi have lots of cute styles to fit that range. For shapes - make them from scratch - preferably using references.

If you go in with an age in mind, and shop with said age in mind, you can get there without much issue.

I was considering Milan for Black Friday but I've never heard of any of those skin lines.  Search Milan Shape though and it's mostly child.  I just saw a few shapes with my search right now that are looking a bit in the age range I am looking for, about 19-21, but that wasn't the case a few months ago.  I never tried on the head.  I needed body first and couldn't decide.  Plus, saving 10 dollars won't make me or break me, so I felt no need to rush and I do have a lot on my plate but some things came up in real life and put some brakes on me for a bit of time right now.

Here is searching Milan shape:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/search?utf8=✓&search[category_id]=&search[maturity_level]=G&search[keywords]=milan+shape

17 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I was considering Milan for Black Friday but I've never heard of any of those skin lines.  Search Milan Shape though and it's mostly child.  I just saw a few shapes with my search right now that are looking a bit in the age range I am looking for, about 19-21, but that wasn't the case a few months ago.  I never tried on the head.  I needed body first and couldn't decide.  Plus, saving 10 dollars won't make me or break me, so I felt no need to rush and I do have a lot on my plate but some things came up in real life and put some brakes on me for a bit of time right now.

Here is searching Milan shape:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/search?utf8=✓&search[category_id]=&search[maturity_level]=G&search[keywords]=milan+shape

I've never searched for shapes and really, really can't stand many of the base shapes that come with skins and heads. I always make my own - either working off of a previous shape I made for a similar head, or just starting from scratch. To hit a target age range or style, it's best to pull up a photo reference that's similar to what you're going for and work from there. Catwa, AK, and Lel heads are pretty flexible to shape. Genus as well, but they really need an update before I'd recommend them to anyone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Genus as well, but they really need an update before I'd recommend them to anyone.

And this, sadly, is why I've been experimenting with LeLutka. I love my Genus, and I love the look that I took literally YEARS to perfect with it, but honestly, how long as it been? And it's so glitchy: it really needs that update.

As it happens (to get back on topic), I think the LeLutka (which I'm not yet happy with) looks a bit older than my Genus.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And this, sadly, is why I've been experimenting with LeLutka. I love my Genus, and I love the look that I took literally YEARS to perfect with it, but honestly, how long as it been? And it's so glitchy: it really needs that update.

As it happens (to get back on topic), I think the LeLutka (which I'm not yet happy with) looks a bit older than my Genus.

I'm always surprised by how many different looks people are able to create with Genus heads. So, so so many different looks in all age ranges. But yes, they've been testing their update for quite a long time now and there's no actual release date given, so I really don't play with mine much anymore. The glitching animations are rageworthy. Let me roll my eyes already, GRRR! 😄

No but really, as I said, I really don't age my own avatars or pay much attention to the ages of others, but creating very specific looks is absolutely possible. Though I will say, I prefer shaping Catwa a bit more than Lelutka. Lel takes more fine tuning to get things looking how I want, but then, I don't create too many humans with them, so your mileage may vary.

And OH, I also forgot to mention Lelutka Kaya can fit in that age range, too. For some reason, I'm always confusing Kaya and Lilly. Gaia, too, if you want an easy fantasy head to play with.

• Like 2

Unpopular / Alternative POV:

I think one way we "age our avatars" is by "keeping up with new avatar options".

Someone with a "default" system avatar is either "really old" (and never changed), or "really young" (and never changed YET).

Someone with a "newest and greatest" avatar is "aging" it in a way, by using the latest options; even if it does not "look older", the newer options and increased detail say something about your avatar's "age".

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm still seeing lots of accounts each week getting my BoM eyes appliers for Genus from the marketplace.  It has dropped off in the last six months or so where the number was much higher previously but I've given out literally thousands of them.  Genus heads have been incredibly popular and must very much be in use still for me to see this number for a pretty much niche thing like mine.

3 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I'm still seeing lots of accounts each week getting my BoM eyes appliers for Genus from the marketplace.  It has dropped off in the last six months or so where the number was much higher previously but I've given out literally thousands of them.  Genus heads have been incredibly popular and must very much be in use still for me to see this number for a pretty much niche thing like mine.

The numbers I've seen suggest that it is indeed still relatively popular, although LeLutka dwarfs everything else now (I think I remember seeing 85% of heads are now LeLu?).

My vague sense from things I've read is that there are reasons the Genus update has been so long in coming -- I seem to recall something about a new child, and there may be a Russian / Ukrainian connection or complication?

If it does ever get updated, I'd be quite happy to stick with it. That said, I think the LeLutka Evo line is objectively a "better" head in many ways. But it does come down to personal preference. I've been working pretty hard to shape my LeLutka so that it looks as much as possible like my Genus, and I think it's coming along, but it'll never be a perfect match. What I want, of course, is my Genus -- but better and improved.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The numbers I've seen suggest that it is indeed still relatively popular, although LeLutka dwarfs everything else now (I think I remember seeing 85% of heads are now LeLu?).

My vague sense from things I've read is that there are reasons the Genus update has been so long in coming -- I seem to recall something about a new child, and there may be a Russian / Ukrainian connection or complication?

They've always been slow with updates and there have been a variety of reasons given over the years.  They allegedly had to fight off two DMCA's which took down their store for a long time.  It also probably didn't help that a lot of people rejected the last update favouring to stay with the earlier version because it was less glitchy.

• Like 3

My main self... I'd say I age her from the early 20s, to the 50s. In my mind, anyway. I think I have achieved some aged looks with the Kaya and Irina heads. Irina looks wonderful to me when she's 40 or older (whatever that means in SL terms).

But that's just the head. For a true aged look, I suppose I'd need some deformers for various body parts, and the skins to go along with it, something I've been looking at lately... I hope I get some more RL bonus money soon lol.

On 12/8/2022 at 10:48 AM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The second reason is that, as a culture, we've decided that men age "better" than women. This is particularly evident in the fashion and film industries. Men over about 35 start to look "distinguished" and "craggy," while women, we're told, just look . . . old.

Related to this second reason, and to what Rowan says above, is a tendency to sexually infantilize women. Older men with much younger partners are pretty acceptable; older women with younger men are derided as "cougars," or worse. That infantilization of women is particularly pronounced in parts of SL.

On 12/8/2022 at 12:16 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Likely tied to why more women in RL try to appear young -- dying our grey hair, doing botox to remove age lines, plastic surgery (if affordable) to appear younger.  Whereas most men allow the aging to show more.  Also likely tied to our general society view that younger women are more desirable.

Evolution is an interesting thing. It used to be that humans were attracted exclusively to young, strong, healthy. Better chance for survival, better chance the women will make healthy offspring, better chance the men will be capable hunters.

Now, older men are more likely to be settled down, established, and have more money than young men, suddenly they're more attractive- especially if there's no desire to have kids (or you've already had 'em). Being the best hunter in the tribe won't pay the bills in the modern world, so attraction evolved.

Unfortunately for women, men didn't evolve. Men still want the ones that make the healthy offspring.

Our lizard brains at work.

• Like 5

On 12/10/2022 at 1:10 PM, Paul Hexem said:

Unfortunately for women, men didn't evolve. Men still want the ones that make the healthy offspring.

Our lizard brains at work.

As a RL dude in his late 40s, I guess I can't totally understand or appreciate this. It's baffling to me.

I am literally 5 days younger than Kate Winslet IRL!

The born on date you see on my account applies to my SL self.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.