When do you realize that there's nothing for you in SL?

CaitlinParker

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 360 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 12/12/2022 at 4:52 PM, Orwar said:

I absolutely would not recommend anyone to seek psychiatric (or any medical) help on SL; you've just got no way to verify that the people talking to you are legit professionals. There are support groups, but even them I'd be careful with. The second anyone wants a single L$ off of you, consider it a scam and get out.

I do not agree. There are credited schools in SL where classes are given. I mean educators have been using SL for years for virtual classes and credits. SL isn’t all about sex and dressing your Barbie’s. But sure Be wary of nefarious people they are everywhere. But a group of like minded people all struggling with the same thing is not a bad thing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/5/2022 at 7:12 PM, CaitlinParker said:

I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this in.

Aside from performing Bible Readings on Sundays in SL, most of the time there's nothing for me to do.

I do sim hop, yet, I get bored.  I've had people tell me that I should put my energy into creating, yet I feel that if I put Blender on my PC again... it'll start to have problems once more.  Anyone can create alpha layers and edit textures.  I try to fit in, but instead I just feel like that square peg that's surrounded by a bunch of circular ones who often are more part of the group or clique atmosphere than anything.  The last time I tried attending an event that I ended up shutting down after a little over an hour.  Everyone I know is usually busy with their group stuff (RP/etc.) or busy with other stuff so pointless to even chat.

I think you've all realized where this is going at this point.  There's literally nothing for me in SL.  Most of the time, because there's nothing for me in SL, I just end up sitting around, surf the web or afk nap.

Caitlin you do not have to be in SL past what you enjoy, go to your bible study, maybe get together with others afterwards and plan a social. Coffee n chat etc. You can make textures and do blender offline. Stop trying to fit in and just be you. Everything important you already have. If you are not having fun, make your own fun, on or off od SL. 

Cheers.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SpiritSparrow Skydancer said:

I do not agree. There are credited schools in SL where classes are given. I mean educators have been using SL for years for virtual classes and credits.

I said nothing of SL being improper to use as an educational tool or space, you're disagreeing with a non-argument.

The fact remains that there are a lot of licensed practitioners of health and psychiatry on various places on the Internet, who are able not only to show you their credentials but even be referred to via official healthcare systems of different nations - going into SL to look for a psychiatrist or chiropractor, where anyone can pretend to be anything, remains an ill-advised idea.

But, since you brought up education .. If you want to put on your CV that you 'speak a little French', it's probably not going to impress a potential employer when they inquire as to how you've come to know a little French and you say 'I chatted with some French guy on Second Life'. It would probably just be better to omit the whole Second Life part and say that you 'picked it up through conversation with French-speaking people'. Unless an RL business or institution of learning allocate their education to be carried out through Second Life, but can still give you proper credentials, you should only consider it for your personal entertainment or curiosity.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Maybe the people that attend your bible readings would be a good start to making friends?I totally get how you feel though, but I am an introvert-I spend most of my SL time alone-shopping, playing "virtual Barbie", exploring beautiful sims as well as decorating my own, and taking pics.It's hard to find like minded people and if you feel like you have to, it makes things harder.
Check out the SL destination category and hang out at the places you feel are most "you" and maybe you'll find similar minded people?

Or, you could take a short break and see what it is you miss about SL when you're not on..Decorating? Exploring?Shopping? Avatar tweaking?Making friends?Just keep in mind, you don't HAVE to do anything..that feeling of logging in and having no idea why you're even on is a big problem even for me sometimes..I stare at my sim's sunsets while fishing way more than I care to admit..
Good luck!!

On 4/13/2023 at 10:56 AM, Amberyl Ethaniel said:

Maybe the people that attend your bible readings would be a good start to making friends?I totally get how you feel though, but I am an introvert-I spend most of my SL time alone-shopping, playing "virtual Barbie", exploring beautiful sims as well as decorating my own, and taking pics.It's hard to find like minded people and if you feel like you have to, it makes things harder.
Check out the SL destination category and hang out at the places you feel are most "you" and maybe you'll find similar minded people?

Or, you could take a short break and see what it is you miss about SL when you're not on..Decorating? Exploring?Shopping? Avatar tweaking?Making friends?Just keep in mind, you don't HAVE to do anything..that feeling of logging in and having no idea why you're even on is a big problem even for me sometimes..I stare at my sim's sunsets while fishing way more than I care to admit..
Good luck!!

I haven't done any Rosary or Bible Readings since my recovery from a hospital stay during the entirety of Christmas and into New Years.  I've been trying to take it easier in SL so I don't end up living in SL 😋

• 2 weeks later...

SL is depression inducing if you allow it to be .

Without reason or purpose we simply stand around watching ourselves be bored . Do it long enough and you will withdraw into the same solitude you sought to escape by joining SL .

I think we put it on ourselves that we should be doing something in this weird and wonderful world and it saddens us because we can't find that something .

For me the only interesting thing in SL was the people because everyone has a story to tell and most could use just a little nudge of reassurance , confidence , sympathy , empathy , just plain understanding , which for me gave some worthwhile purpose to the game .

For reasons of my own i no longer engage with people . I play the game by going through the motions in solitude , which is kinda sad but not depressing , it kills time .

All the above stated for cross-reference to your own way of thinking because understanding how we feel is often the way to accept or correct it .

I could very easily change  my game by simply letting friendship in , but alas contempt once woke will not sleep .

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 360 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.