When do you realize that there's nothing for you in SL?

CaitlinParker

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 359 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i am sorry you are feeling this way , i think the main issue is that you do not have a hobby which you enjoy ,i am opposite of you , i also have depression and sometimes it becomes very serious but whenever i am in sl i tend to forget that pain and enjoy my time , for me sl is a savior , i have good  friends who are always supportive , i would suggest you to make friends and find a hobby you might start to like it then.

Good luck !!

• Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 1:04 PM, Dakota Linden said:

With the holidays coming up, you could check out the Linden Homes Regions.  Users are starting to really decorate their homes. You do not need to have a paid account to visit Bellisseria and look around.  You can even get a free bicycle or car and ride or drive around on the roads. 

https://secondlife.com/destination/bbb

I did have a look at the Linden Homes in a couple of sims for a bit yesterday and they do look nice, though I didn't see any decorated for Christmas.

The other stuff will take a little time.

Edited by CaitlinParker

31 minutes ago, EmmaTyler1 said:

i am sorry you are feeling this way , i think the main issue is that you do not have a hobby which you enjoy ,i am opposite of you , i also have depression and sometimes it becomes very serious but whenever i am in sl i tend to forget that pain and enjoy my time , for me sl is a savior , i have good  friends who are always supportive , i would suggest you to make friends and find a hobby you might start to like it then.

Good luck !!

That's just it, I don't have a hobby.  I did try Skippo and got beat... badly.  I did have a look at a few of the Linden Homes yesterday.

Hi CaitlinParker, I struggle with depression too and I find SL hard to get into at times as I also can't find my niche in world. I've been coming and going on SL for many years, but something always brings me back. Taking a break is totally okay, focus on something else for a bit, or look up some of the great ideas people have shared and maybe something will spark a bit of interest; I know kayaking in a jungle totally sounds ideal to me! Just don't force it. It's okay to pop on for 30 minutes and decide you're ready to leave. Listen to music, dance for a little and just leave before it's too much. That's okay. 

I scan the forums quite often looking for something new to check out, or the event clock to see what's going on. I love the live shows, but I don't have to go to everyone. I just go to what I feel like making it to. We can all suggest a 1000 things for you to do and try, but really, the only person who knows what you need is you. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lolita Uldarmann said:

Hi CaitlinParker, I struggle with depression too and I find SL hard to get into at times as I also can't find my niche in world. I've been coming and going on SL for many years, but something always brings me back. Taking a break is totally okay, focus on something else for a bit, or look up some of the great ideas people have shared and maybe something will spark a bit of interest; I know kayaking in a jungle totally sounds ideal to me! Just don't force it. It's okay to pop on for 30 minutes and decide you're ready to leave. Listen to music, dance for a little and just leave before it's too much. That's okay. 

I scan the forums quite often looking for something new to check out, or the event clock to see what's going on. I love the live shows, but I don't have to go to everyone. I just go to what I feel like making it to. We can all suggest a 1000 things for you to do and try, but really, the only person who knows what you need is you. 

I am trying to go at my own pace and not do it all in one sitting.  I haven't looked up any shows yet.  The past day or so, I've been feeling a bit melancholy, but the same nonetheless.  One of the issues I have is that I'm on a fixed income, so I can only do stuff only if I have enough money as it pertains to the outside world.  In SL, it's just a hop, skip and a TP away to sight see.

I've just been tied up the past day or two with real life stuff... and yeah, it happens.

Edited by CaitlinParker

If there was nothing in SL for me, I wouldn't be here still.  There is a problem though, there is always something that interests me with SL, it is far too capable of a platform.  It definitely is not people that brings me back here, I haven't been here long enough for it to be nostalgia, it is not hope that it will get better.  There are just too many possibilities here that keep me coming back.  

Not to say I am in SL every day, week, or even month.  I'll leave this platform for months at a time, not really due to lack of something to do but usually due to real life obligations or perhaps finding another platform that does what I want to do at a better capacity.  Eventually though, I come back because of the potential to do everything I want to do is only available in SL as far as I have experienced (and OpenSim)

At this point, it is harder for me to think of things I can not do in SL as far as what is possible in a virtual environment, as to things I can do.  

2 hours ago, LittleSparrow Skydancer said:

there are therapists in SL.

I absolutely would not recommend anyone to seek psychiatric (or any medical) help on SL; you've just got no way to verify that the people talking to you are legit professionals. There are support groups, but even them I'd be careful with. The second anyone wants a single L$ off of you, consider it a scam and get out.

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/6/2022 at 1:12 AM, CaitlinParker said:

performing Bible Readings on Sundays in SL, 

You do actually have a hobby.
Embellish on it, found a group for it, find like-minded people.

Maybe even create some sort of themed place for it. Start a blog for it.
All that would really keep you very busy!

Edited by Caroline Takeda
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

It's your signature line...

2c5264341ef08737d69b4265ecf83665.png.167cf43eefc39dea3e368cc34489fe1a.png

Not seeing where to edit it out, I don't even see it. But it is obviously there. But thats an old site. Inactive long time, thanks for letting me know.

Edited to add, thanks. I found it. 

Think it's fixed. Let me know, thanks.

eta2: it is under settings, not the more obvious edit profile, all good. Also can toggle see sig link or not. Mine was off. 

Edited by Charolotte Caxton
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

So, ever since I came back, maybe less than a year ago, I have had a broken link on my public profile, and no one said anything. Thanks, Caroline.

Like you, a lot of people have the signature line off.  Personally, I rarely, if ever, click those links.

• Like 1

Here is my flickr link, I just take snapshots of my second life is all, I have nothing or no one to promote. I don't have a blog and I do not monetize off of SL. 

I do sell free mesh cubes though. If they suck, at least they are free. I like them.

https://flic.kr/ps/3ZKfZh

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/97627

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

Here is my flickr link, I just take snapshots of my second life is all, I have nothing or no one to promote. I don't have a blog and I do not monetize off of SL. 

I do sell free mesh cubes though. If they suck, at least they are free. I like them.

https://flic.kr/ps/3ZKfZh

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/97627

And if y'all could, let me know if those links don't work. Thank you very much.

Edited to add: if you are reading this ten years in the future, no, I don't know that those links died a long time ago. 

Edited by Charolotte Caxton

SL is an option, and yes we can enjoy also watching a virtual sunset on the sea, listen to the sounds of the virtual environment.

One of my favorite place was floating in a pond in a cave in a forest... nobody around, nothing to "do".

Same reason some go for a walk in the forest. You just enjoy it as you want.

We come here because we have nothing better to do in RL.

Sadly I'm at this point myself after a year in sl, really feeling this post. best advice I can give you that I'm also following for myself? take a short step away from SL, maybe it might make you feel better a little rest. Of course always tell your closest friends so they don't worry too much! you might have fresh thoughts and changed feelings, last suggesting I did before my current sl break Look into finding new hobbies, maybe  meeting new friends, that making some new connections might just be a good way to find some new things to do again. Whichever you choose I hope you can find whatever brings you joy again within SL. keep us updated. I'm certain that many others are also feeling this too.

* Have a wonderful and happy new years!*

Edited by Breezeibaby

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 359 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.