Received a random L$ "gift" should I keep it?

falney Finney

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 498 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi. 

I returned to my computer after a 2hr AFK to find some one had randomly gifted me L$1k. No reason, no message, nothing. Just 1k in my account. I opened up an IM to the person and they are offline so they can't respond to me. 

I am a little concerned that if their account had become compromised and the person using it had gifted out lots of money, that the accounts of those that had received it could be punished for ill gotten gains. 

Should I just return the money to be safe? Wait until they can respond? Or am I just overthinking things and being too paranoid for my own good.

Thanks

Falney

7 answers to this question

Don't send it back, but don't spend it just yet.

It's true that some people use a "gift" of L$ to get someone in trouble. If the money was fraudulently obtained (for example, by taking the money from a compromised account, or using a stolen credit card to buy L$), then LL might decide you, the recipient, are involved in a money laundering scheme and suspend your account pending further investigation.

However, the chances of this are low, given the relatively small value of your gift. This sort of gift-as-an-evil curse thing usually involves much larger amounts, L$10,000 or more.

If you are concerned, you can file a Support Case with LL. Include the details from your L$ Transactions page concerning the gift, and ask LL if the money is legitimate. If it's been stolen, they'll deduct it from your account, but nothing bad will happen to you. If it's a legitimate gift...then it's time to go shopping!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, falney Finney said:

That doesn't answer the question, and if I did give it to you and my fears were founded, your account would also be the beneficiary of ill gotten gains and would be treated similarly to my own

He is obviously trying to be funny. If you want to be very sure contact support and ask them what you should do. You'd at least have  record of you questioning it should something end up being "off".  Also, you don't accept money from people as you know that it just goes into your account. How could they find you a party to this unless they can connect the dots back to you in some way.

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian

23 minutes ago, falney Finney said:

Hi. 

I returned to my computer after a 2hr AFK to find some one had randomly gifted me L$1k. No reason, no message, nothing. Just 1k in my account. I opened up an IM to the person and they are offline so they can't respond to me. 

I am a little concerned that if their account had become compromised and the person using it had gifted out lots of money, that the accounts of those that had received it could be punished for ill gotten gains. 

Should I just return the money to be safe? Wait until they can respond? Or am I just overthinking things and being too paranoid for my own good.

Thanks

Falney

Personally, I'd just send it back.

to protect yourself, send an AR under "fraud>l$" and explain the reasons why you are worried.

LL will take a look at the transaction, you won't get into any trouble at all. 

if the money is till in your account a few days later, enjoy it! (as will be been confirmed to be legit!)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 498 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.