Freezing viewer 2.7.1.36220

Dora Gustafson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Does anyone recognize this problem?
I had it on and off during the latest 5 versions or so.
I kind of hoped the crash reports would sound the alarm at LL but no luck so far.

The viewer freezes after half an hour or so and a crash report is send.
It looks like the problem arise sooner in crowded rooms.
My computer runs WinXP with 2GByte ram memory.
At the latest freeze 10 minutes ago 2.5GB memory were utilized.

Anyone tried something like this or know anything about it?

PS! It may be that the new viewers are outgrowing my system, but I don't think it should crash like this anyway:smileysad:

I figure this could be that the graphics card is overheating. It would happen quicker in crowded spaces (or heavily textured) since the card has to work harder, I think.

It could also be because of memory leaks. I don't know how badly the viewer leaks memory, but it was pretty significant in some of the earlier versions of the viewer. (I also don't know how much memory the viewer actually CAN leak.) I have heard of the viewer starting several instances of the SLPluging, and that this can cause issues, but I don't know much about this.

Don't really know if any of this has anything to do with it...

- Luc -

Hi, it is probably time to start saving the logs and looking for common problems at the end. If you find that it usually crashes around the same finctions, that could give you cloes about what is wrong. If it breaks in a compeltely different spot every time, it is time to suspect hardware.

lol at that emotocon (whatever they are called). 

Subscribe:  I have the same problem.  Oh no, more stuff to read, and I haven't even finished my avatar yet in three months.  I have too much too do.

Can anyone create a computer made just for SL?

Perhaps the Lindens should make one and keep it afforable. 

Some people do create computers specifically for SL.

Here is an example: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussions/Building-new-rig-for-SL-will-this-work-going-back-to-PC-from-mac/m-p/446101#M208865

It is only an example. I have no idea if the rig specified is any good - I assume it is - or how up to date it is. It is just to show that it is possible, and can cost less than buying 'off the rack'.

- Luc -

Oh that's a lot to read, but sounds interesting.  Will read links asap.  $600 U.S. dollars, that's pretty close to what I was thinking - between $500 to 600 U.S. dollars, but honestly was thinking $500 is afforable to the masses.  (Very sucky economy right now for most). 

Oh also wanted to add two things to this thread.

I think my spyware hates SL.  It runs furiously sometimes when on SL, then freeze.

Also, my browser was bad.  As soon as I downloaded Google Chrome and set/clicked inworld on use default browser, SL is 50 times better!  I can zoom around from sim to sim faster than I ever could!  It's great! 

(I need my Firefox browser for the ease of use of the tools.  I don't like the tools on GC but I love GC for SL.)

I think a spyware needs to be added into components, that's why I think the Lindens should build one and sell it.  lol.  Oh perchance to dream. 

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

Hi, it is probably time to start saving the logs and looking for common problems at the end. If you find that it usually crashes around the same finctions, that could give you cloes about what is wrong. If it breaks in a compeltely different spot every time, it is time to suspect hardware.

I took your advice and saved logs on the crashes I had.

The logs are ending with the same two lines every time(except for the time stamp):

2011-06-18T20:07:11Z llrender/llrendertarget.cpp(695) : error

2011-06-18T20:07:11Z ERROR: LLMultisampleBuffer::addColorAttachment: WTF? 8cd6

It makes me no wiser except, according to you I can eliminate hardware failure

Dora Gustafson wrote:

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

I took your advice and saved logs on the crashes I had.

The logs are ending with the same two lines every time(except for the time stamp):

2011-06-18T20:07:11Z llrender/llrendertarget.cpp(695) : error

2011-06-18T20:07:11Z ERROR: LLMultisampleBuffer::addColorAttachment: WTF? 8cd6

It makes me no wiser except, according to you I can eliminate hardware failure

Sounds like SH-469.

All that icon does Ieliel is say "not logged in".  Can't remember exactly, or it says you must log in????  huh???.

How can we not be logged in?  We're obviously logged in if we're freezing.  My freeze used to start at about two hours to try to get a median time for me. 

Hey everyone,

I'm having what may be a similar issue with my Mac OSX machine: just in the last couple of (3 or 4?) viewer updates, the viewer unexpectedly, and seemingly randomly crashes.  I never used to have this problem.

I want to save/look at the logs, but I'm not sure how to do that.  Where can I find the  logs, or what do I have to turn on in the viewer to start logging?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the info!  I was hoping for a SL specific log, rather than the system-wide logs that Console shows.  I have no folder for Second Life under Library/Application Support/

Is there a SL Viewer-specific logging ability?  I want to see if I can figure out what the Viewer is trying to do when it crashes.

Thanks,

Z.

Hmmm... I checked in the Console app on my system. Under FILES->Crash reporter I found a report for Second Life with the crash date added to the name. I also found the log under FILES->DiagnosticReports. You should be able to find the log in ~/library/Logs/DiagnosticsReports. (Btw. '~' is your home folder.) If you don't use the LL viewer, you probably need to replace references I made to SecondLife with the name of the viewer you use.

- Luc -

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.