Sellers need to do a better job in descriptions and titles

artifactsofmars Omegaman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 497 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So every time I go on Marketplace it gets more bizarre. This morning I went on it, buying clothing for my movie making. There was one description after another that contained strange two and three letter codes that I had no idea what they were. What I learned from that was to not click on the item. The titles could be cleaned up to assist buyers who are looking for specific items. Now if you don't think that's fair, consider this. If a customer does not click on your item, then you don't get the sale. It's that simple.

The descriptions could be cleaned up too. Some of them have no information on the item itself. "Back click". That's what happens if I don't see the item properly described. While we are at it,  remember another thing. Not everyone uses mesh bodies. I bought a cheapie just for fun. I learned quickly that classic outfits don't work with those. I was not impressed. My entire avatar system is based on classic avatars, and I am not going to scrap it in order to use mesh bodies. It's the most advanced avatar system on Second Life, with over a thousand female avatars and hundreds of males (I have lost track). It allows me to seamlessly go from one avatar to another, and one outfit to another, in seconds. I am not going to throw it out just to use mesh bodies. Make sure that you include in your descriptions if it works with classic avatars. If it says on the sidebar "Works with Mesh Avatars", then "Back Click" happens again. Some of these sellers need to read a book on marketing.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, artifactsofmars Omegaman said:

to assist buyers who are looking for specific items.

use "search" for that.

I don't think it's very realistic to expect from creators to mention in their items it's not working for standard avies, while 99.9 of the new creations are for mesh only ... since about 7/8/9/10? years.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

use "search" for that.

I don't think it's very realistic to expect from creators to mention in their items it's not working for standard avies, while 99.9 of the new creations are for mesh only ... since about 7/8/9/10? years.

They who don't, don't get the sale. I use mesh items, just not mesh bodies.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, artifactsofmars Omegaman said:

So every time I go on Marketplace it gets more bizarre. This morning I went on it, buying clothing for my movie making. There was one description after another that contained strange two and three letter codes that I had no idea what they were. What I learned from that was to not click on the item. The titles could be cleaned up to assist buyers who are looking for specific items. Now if you don't think that's fair, consider this. If a customer does not click on your item, then you don't get the sale. It's that simple.

The descriptions could be cleaned up too. Some of them have no information on the item itself. "Back click". That's what happens if I don't see the item properly described. While we are at it,  remember another thing. Not everyone uses mesh bodies. I bought a cheapie just for fun. I learned quickly that classic outfits don't work with those. I was not impressed. My entire avatar system is based on classic avatars, and I am not going to scrap it in order to use mesh bodies. It's the most advanced avatar system on Second Life, with over a thousand female avatars and hundreds of males (I have lost track). It allows me to seamlessly go from one avatar to another, and one outfit to another, in seconds. I am not going to throw it out just to use mesh bodies. Make sure that you include in your descriptions if it works with classic avatars. If it says on the sidebar "Works with Mesh Avatars", then "Back Click" happens again. Some of these sellers need to read a book on marketing.

I completely agree with you. The marketplace needs more high quality content and better product descriptions. I think LL could improve this by charging to publish products. Now it's loaded with lots of things people don't want and makes harder to find the good ones.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

So agree on better descriptions. AND I also know how tedious listing in Marketplace is...

Slight derail: 

I do like classic bodies and clothes... err... maybe not the feet!!!

I do wear mesh and I need quick outfit changes for the show dancing I do. I have those outfits in MY OUTFITS saved with all elements my avatar needs to make them work (including automatic shoe style FLAT, MID, HIGH - thank you Maitreya!)

So typically shape, skin, eyes and hairbase, make-ups, body, clothes, shoes, jewellery. All it takes is to rightclick the folder and choose WEAR (which replaces everything) OR drag the folder onto my avie.

It's as quick as doing the same with a system outfit for a classic avatar.

1 hour ago, Valentin Elan said:

I completely agree with you. The marketplace needs more high quality content and better product descriptions. I think LL could improve this by charging to publish products. Now it's loaded with lots of things people don't want and makes harder to find the good ones.

I think they get a percentage if I am not mistaken.

37 minutes ago, artifactsofmars Omegaman said:

I think they get a percentage if I am not mistaken.

they do take a percentage from the sales, but that's irrelevant for your question.

The problem in this case is you, in the eyes of most creators, are not their customer. They follow the market, and create items for that. 
The standard clothings are so rarely sold in the current situation of SL, they moved away from creating it.
The same has been identical to layer clothes. It was pretty hard to find it. Now it's back, sort of, in the form of BOM. But it will never get the mass production again as in the old days. People change habbits, SL develops. Minorities will get a harder time.

• Like 2

On 12/4/2022 at 12:30 AM, artifactsofmars Omegaman said:

Seems you have missed Bakes on Mesh perhaps somewhere, you do not lose any of your clothing options now when using a mesh body if the mesh body uses the SL UV and has bakes on mesh active. You should perhaps try a demo of one with any of your favourite outfits and bam, there you go instantly done but smoother and more meshed out. As for the two and three letters it sounds as though you are hitting Standard Sizing as suggested, the xxs xs s m and L were before we had fitted mesh, so they had a standard sizing format. If the other letters are creators simplifying a name of a body type then I agree with you, people calling well known products by two letters or even just one does not help someone that does not know what that means.

On 12/3/2022 at 5:35 PM, Valentin Elan said:

Having a listing fee would remove most of the items on the marketplace, because they don't sell often enough and/or for enough money to make paying a listing fee worth it. The things that'd remain would be expensive mainstream items like mesh bodies and houses in popular styles. This would actually make it harder for the original poster, because anything for system avatars would be gone. Just not enough sales in system avatar stuff to make it worth paying a listing fee.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 12/9/2022 at 1:36 AM, Polenth Yue said:

Having a listing fee would remove most of the items on the marketplace, because they don't sell often enough and/or for enough money to make paying a listing fee worth it. The things that'd remain would be expensive mainstream items like mesh bodies and houses in popular styles. This would actually make it harder for the original poster, because anything for system avatars would be gone. Just not enough sales in system avatar stuff to make it worth paying a listing fee.

If the cost to publish is $0 the marketplace end up like now, full of low quality products, freebies and people tempted to make money out of nothing. It makes harder for good products to be found and compete in my opinion.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Valentin Elan said:

If the cost to publish is $0 the marketplace end up like now, full of low quality products, freebies and people tempted to make money out of nothing. It makes harder for good products to be found and compete in my opinion.

The good products you want to find would also be gone. Most of everything would be gone. So you'd have to find it by searching inworld. Which you might want to do, but you can do that now if you like, without having to remove most products from the marketplace via a listing fee.

What would solve the issue of unwanted results is search systems that have more options to customise the results. This applies to the marketplace and the inworld search. That said, you can already filter out free and very cheap products. Set the lowest price at something that's reasonable for the item in question and the results will be much cleaner.

• Like 3

On 12/11/2022 at 9:23 PM, Polenth Yue said:

The good products you want to find would also be gone. Most of everything would be gone. So you'd have to find it by searching inworld. Which you might want to do, but you can do that now if you like, without having to remove most products from the marketplace via a listing fee.

What would solve the issue of unwanted results is search systems that have more options to customise the results. This applies to the marketplace and the inworld search. That said, you can already filter out free and very cheap products. Set the lowest price at something that's reasonable for the item in question and the results will be much cleaner.

I can't believe everything would be gone if sellers have to pay some L$ to publish in MP 🤣

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 497 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.