My shapes aren't selling...

faburikkuko

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 392 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi, this is my first time using the second life forum so I apologize if this isn't the right forum for this topic. I've always gotten compliments on my shapes/avatars in world and I thought that I would try selling some to earn Linden but since starting my shop last year, I've only been able to sell one of my shapes. I just revamped my shop by desinging a new logo, using the Black Dragon viewer to take preview shots instead of Firestorm, downloading Photoshop and adding Demos of my shapes to my shop and still my shapes aren't selling! Is there anything that I'm missing or could improve on? Advice would be much appreciated, thank you 🙂

9 answers to this question

I don't understand something here. According to your post, your username is "faburikkuko". When I look up that account's Marketplace store, I find a small gacha reseller - no shapes. But, when I click the shop link in your post, it takes me to the store "Oddshapez" by the user "oddspiral". I'm assuming that oddspiral is your alt. Why are you posting your question with your faburikkuko account?

But aside from that bit of confusion...

Shapes are a hard thing to sell, because it's so easy (compared to a lot of other types of content) for people to make their own.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I don't understand something here. According to your post, your username is "faburikkuko". When I look up that account's Marketplace store, I find a small gacha reseller - no shapes. But, when I click the shop link in your post, it takes me to the store "Oddshapez" by the user "oddspiral". I'm assuming that oddspiral is your alt. Why are you posting your question with your faburikkuko account?

But aside from that bit of confusion...

Shapes are a hard thing to sell, because it's so easy (compared to a lot of other types of content) for people to make their own.

Yes, I meant to post this on my main but I didn't realize I was logged into this one and couldn't delete the post. 

Edited by faburikkuko
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, faburikkuko said:

Advice would be much appreciated, thank you 🙂

If you wanna earn money, you need to offer something not everyone can do, like Lindall and Rowan said already.
So i wouldnt recommend creating simple tattoos either, also not stylecards.

If you wanna be succesful you better prepare yourself for the hard way, like spending weeks and months with blender until you are good at, for example.
And even then there is not a guarantee for your items being sold like there is no tomorrow, as so many other things also have to come together.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

If you wanna earn money, you need to offer something not everyone can do, like Lindall and Rowan said already.
So i wouldnt recommend creating simple tattoos either, also not stylecards.

If you wanna be succesful you better prepare yourself for the hard way, like spending weeks and months with blender until you are good at, for example.
And even then there is not a guarantee for your items being sold like there is no tomorrow, as so many other things also have to come together.

This is good advice, thank you.

Little shape seller here.

Let's check the Marketplace tools:

> My Marketplace > Merchant home > Reports > Top searched products

My best selling shape appeared in search 36934 times.

> My Marketplace > Merchant home > Reports > Top selling products

The said shape show 2 infos:

1511 Times viewed (the potential customer opened the link to check the page of the product)

Units sold: 90

90/1511 = 0.059...  6% of people who opened the product page bought the shape

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can only speculate. However, I suspect that your big problem is that people can't/don't find you. I frequently find a new store that has been there for years that I didn't know about. I'm sure there are thousands of stores in SL selling content that I'd be interested in that I haven't discovered yet.

Have you done anything to make your store and products known, like frequently advertise specials in the groups that exist for that purpose? Or tried to get it into the Destination Guide? Etc.

It is unlikely that people will find you unless you make the effort to help them, and then it's still iffy.

Good luck.

Edited by Jennifer Boyle

I have a few friends who tried to sell shapes and failed miserably. And they were epic avatar designers and good photographers.

In addition to the fact that shape creation is free in-world, many body and head creators include mod shapes with their products, or style guides.

TL;DR Just because your friends tell you that you're good as something does not mean there is a market for it.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 392 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.