Sensing Only Behind An Avatar

LissomePrey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 497 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There is probably a trivial answer to this but I can't find it right now.

I have an attachment to an avatar that I want to sense objects in a relatively small arc behind the avatar. It seems that sl always considers the positive x direction of an attachment  to always be facing in the directoin the avatar is facing.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to make the sensing area behind the avatar?

16 minutes ago, LissomePrey said:

Am I missing something? Is there a way to make the sensing area behind the avatar?

From the LSL wiki:

• Sensors placed in the root prim of attachments will use the direction the avatar is facing as their forward vector. In mouselook, this means that it will be wherever the avatar is looking, while out of mouselook, this means whichever way the avatar is pointing. This does not include where the avatar's head is pointing, or what animation the avatar is doing, just the direction the avatar would move in if you walked forward. This is the case, regardless of where the object is attached.
  • Sensors placed in prims other than the root prim of an attachment will have their forward direction offset relative to the root prim's forward direction, e.g. a sensor in a prim whose +X direction is the reverse of the root +X will look backward.

So...  put your sensor in a child prim of your attachment and point it backwards.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 497 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.