better blocking please

Jinx Lavarock

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 427 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

26 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

What you stated didn't indicate you were referring to notifications only.

I'm sure I'm still at fault somehow in your opinion.

1. That is all that requires blocking - being notified.
  2. The only bit I am going to say negative in this response: Seriously, the self deprecation is tiring and the idea that I'd somehow find you "at fault" is insulting. Don't take things that personally.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Anyone else hope they're on it?  ^^^

At this point I just shake my head, roll my eyes and remind myself that some cannot help but to be that sort of person.

Block/Mute and move on folks ... No need whatsoever to announce you're doing it/have done it (or to 'threaten' to do so or any other variation of this) nor to announce how long the list is. It does not say what you think it does about you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is it a generational thing or something? being completely unable to handle cognitive dissonance/discomfort/uncertainty or anything that might not be 100% comfortable. I don't understand how someone can even survive life like that, let alone thrive. Most stuff that goes on in these forums is pretty tame all things considered, sure people butt heads sometimes but it's nothing adults shouldn't be able to handle you know what I mean?

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Is it a generational thing or something? being completely unable to handle cognitive dissonance/discomfort/uncertainty or anything that might not be 100% comfortable. I don't understand how someone can even survive life like that, let alone thrive. Most stuff that goes on in these forums is pretty tame all things considered, sure people butt heads sometimes but it's nothing adults shouldn't be able to handle you know what I mean?

It probably is a generational thing with mental health problems on the rise and all that. At the same time though, if someone's going out of their way to act spiteful or malicious, what good does it to keep the interaction going?

• Like 3

Yeah, if I had 12 pages there would never be any new posts to look at.

My list tops out at like, 4 (persons, not pages, lol), and I keep unignoring them just in case they change how they act. They usually don't, but whatever.

Everyone deserves a few second chances now and then. I know I've been given plenty.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, animats said:

Can I put some users on "ignore" for forum purposes, without totally blocking them? I'm thinking mostly of the people who post the same real estate or club ad day after day. I just want to get that stuff out of my "Unread" feed.

Yes - hover over their name in any post/thread and you'll see the Ignore options pop up.  When you click Ignore, there will multiple options of what to ignore.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

6 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yes - hover over their name in any post/thread and you'll see the Ignore options pop up.  When you click Ignore, there will multiple options of what to ignore.

Well, sort of. Putting posts from someone on "ignore" gets me this. That kind of misses the point of "ignore".

You've chosen to ignore content by ********. Options

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, animats said:

Well, sort of. Putting posts from someone on "ignore" gets me this. That kind of misses the point of "ignore".

You've chosen to ignore content by ********. Options

True - it is definitely not like inworld blocking, where they become totally invisible.  When the blocked person has simply added comments to an existing thread, it is pretty easy to scroll right past the "You've chosen to ignore....." comment.  Threads started by the person is not so easily ignored though.

1 hour ago, animats said:

Yup. An ad-blocker can get rid of some of the easier cases (like those you'd scroll past in a thread), but I had to write a small script for the "unread posts" page / discovery feeds.

I can share those by PM if you use the TamperMonkey browser extension (or anything that runs JavaScript).

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

Filter your messages friends only. 

Start over if you must for a while if this person is bothering you popping up on alts. Make a new one, let your other one just sit quietly, how bored will they be. 

Tell them your cousin. Have a nice day. 

Don't hang out where they hang out for a while, get your mind on other places and make new friends. 

Don't care what others do or say, focus on you and the music and keep smiling and give them a show. 

Have your friends and you dress up in black and person shows tell us we don't even know you see how that annoys them they vanish. 

Putting on something silly or an avatar to make them run away seems to always work with weirdo's. 

Edited by BlueMoonLightz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2022 at 6:26 AM, Extrude Ragu said:

Is it a generational thing or something?

You tell me. I was born in the 1960s and I plop down $WAYTOOMANYBUCKS on SL, additionally this is an elective activity. This isn't a job where you gotta just suck it up and get on with it. Given that combination you bet your sweet bonnie that I want to curate my experience as far as possible. That includes having my posts private from obvious trolls/jagholes/rwnj/stalkers etc.

SL and the forums here aren't set up that way -and I can live with that. However, I can definitely empathize with the desire for two-way blocks (read as well as write).

• Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 2:20 AM, BlueMoonLightz said:

Putting on something silly or an avatar to make them run away seems to always work with weirdo's. 

Heh -back when I was a kid avatar I would whip out some seriously obnoxious gestures ("let's do the fork in the garbage disposal!", /those_sweeties which was a kid throwing a very very loud tantrum) and just repeat them over and over again whenever troublemakers would come around.

Fond memories...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 100% satisfied with the way the blocking feature works. I don't think it should have any impact at all on the person who is blocked. If I'm annoying or upsetting anyone, then I sincerely hope they're blocking me instead of having to see my posts. I don't want to cause discomfort or unhappiness for anyone who's just trying to read the forums or whatever, but I don't want them making that my problem, either.

That said, I do sometimes wonder if - in spite of the drama it's likely to cause - people could be notified they've been blocked when they're quoting someone in a reply or whatever, just so they don't waste time on a reply that won't likely be seen.

As for it being a generational thing, ehhh, everyone wants to say how sensitive the kids are or whatever but honestly when you get to a certain age you realize you don't have to put up with everyone's BS if you don't want to. If younger people are figuring out the same thing earlier than I did, then good on them.

Ironically, due to a little adventure I had shortly after making the above post, I would definitely like to see a feature that notifies people that they've been muted by someone, just so it's clear to them that they would be wasting their time replying. I feel like I would be behaving too dramatically if I were to tell people that they've been muted but it really would be better for them to know somehow, otherwise they go making a bunch of replies and that's just silly and tedious for everyone involved. Well except me, I don't have to read those, haha.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 427 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.