Land Collision Issue

Raven Huntsman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 520 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been doing some scripting work recently which makes use of the land_collision_start and land_collision_end events. What I'm observing is that a script as simple as:

{
    land_collision_start(vector p) { llOwnerSay("land col start"); }
    land_collision_end(vector p) { llOwnerSay("land col end"); }
}

Once attached to an avatar will repeatedly trigger each event, alternating at a consistent rate. I can see this occurring on other parcels too, as long as I'm standing on the ground and not moving. Rotating my avatar will prevent this behaviour until I stop pressing any inputs. Is this intended behaviour? Am I not accounting for something, because ideally I'd like to keep my EPS (events per second) to a bare minimum, but If im stood on land this becomes an issue as my collision logic triggers other semi-resource heavy logic (raycasts and such). 

Note that with the avatar hitbox visible via developer metadata, the hitbox is completely stationary, at least visibly.

Edited by Raven Huntsman
  • Like 1

I did not use this event before so I was curious - I have pasted your same script into an attached object, tested as a hand attachment, and also as a HUD, but I do not get the same result as you.

If I begin turning it triggers the start, then nothing until I stop turning which then triggers the end.

Similarly nothing happens until I begin walking which triggers start, and it ends when I stop walking.

I did just wonder if you are wearing something else that is applying some micro forces to your avatar, too small to register but enough to trigger the event? Not sure, but it is certain I do not get your results. I hope that helps anyway :) 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the testing that, I was also curious so I stripped down to just my Shape/Brows/Eyes/Skin + Firestorm bridge object (can't detach that) and can still observe the issue. In fact for some reason the rate at which the end and start events repeat themselves increased ever so slightly with nothing attached. 😅 

The attachment points you used caught my eye also, so I tried on right hand, avatar center and hud center. Same result, still repeats the events.

Edit: I also managed to remove the Firestorm bridge object as one of it's target features is a move-lock (not that i use this feature) which I thought might be related, no change, behaviour still occurs.

Edited by Raven Huntsman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 520 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.