How do you find out if you've moved to a new parcel from a script?

Hilary Querrien

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm a bit new to scripting, so apologies if this has been asked and answered before, but I'd like to be able to tell if I've moved to a new parcel in a script (which would be attached to a hud). I can see from the script wiki I get an event when the region has changed, and I can see how to work out what parcel I'm in right now, but I can't see any way other than starting a timer which waits for a second or so, and then checks the current parcel, which seems like it would not be a terribly nice thing to do in terms of making things laggy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hils

Edited by Hilary Querrien
typo in title

• Hilary Querrien changed the title to How do you find out if you've moved to a new parcel from a script?

Agree with Rolig said. Timers by themselves aren't bad, even fast ones; what you do with them, and how many there are, matter more.

Even a timer mashing parcel info at the highest possible rate uses about 0.01 ms of script time; checking parcel info once per second is 0.001 (for comparison: an idle script that does nothing is 0.0001). That once per second would be more than enough for checking for parcel changes at normal movement speeds.

• Like 1

You might, depending on your needs and considering the limitations of it, try the "moving_end" event.  It won't detect if someone  long range sits, and i'm not sure if sitting and then the object moving and un-sitting them will trigger it, but in a lot of cases it will fire when the avatar changes position.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hilary Querrien said:

Oh? It does? I read the description and couldn't understand it.... Thanks, I'll have another look at that.

Addendum: Wow. You get about a DOZEN moving_end events after a teleport.

Yikes. I had no idea.  I've never played much with it personally, I just knew it existed and might fill the need.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.