BOATS - top 3 - which one the first?

tyronbull

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 683 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok, I spent time looking for boats and I have some.
Which you prefer and why?

1. MLCC - Loonetta 31
2. Bandit 50/3
3. BBX - SAILBOAT SLB A5 or A4

they are about 14m and I tried to choose something to sail but big enough to have chance to stop and use some poses
Bandit IF is just to sail and for racing and it is nice but i loved the Bandit laser too or wind surf

Do you know which are the differences?

Thanks a lot

@Katherine Heartsong
i can see looneta has less prims (about 30) and very similar to SLB A4
(about 60 prims), A5 (about 45 prims) 
slb has some activities and poses for couples (dance, cuddles and sunbath) and looneta has only a few poses for one person

Bandit look great but 90 prims. I would like to rezz it in my 1024 so I would like to save some prims

1 hour ago, tyronbull said:

@Katherine Heartsong
i can see looneta has less prims (about 30) and very similar to SLB A4
(about 60 prims), A5 (about 45 prims) 
slb has some activities and poses for couples (dance, cuddles and sunbath) and looneta has only a few poses for one person

Bandit look great but 90 prims. I would like to rezz it in my 1024 so I would like to save some prims

The Looneta is the one and only boat I've ever owned.  For years now.  I never saw a need for another.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tyronbull said:

Ok, I spent time looking for boats and I have some.
Which you prefer and why?

1. MLCC - Loonetta 31
2. Bandit 50/3
3. BBX - SAILBOAT SLB A5 or A4

they are about 14m and I tried to choose something to sail but big enough to have chance to stop and use some poses
Bandit IF is just to sail and for racing and it is nice but i loved the Bandit laser too or wind surf

Do you know which are the differences?

Thanks a lot

They are all good, I have the Loonetta, a couple of boats from Bandit and a few from BBX. Go for the one you like the appearance / land impact of the most. The creator of the BBX boats is super nice to deal with.

I would like to have one moored in my parcel, so i should deal with the prims too

I will try to talk with bbx creator :)

i never tried to sail seriously and I like the idea but I never did before so I would like a boat sailable and then stop in a sea and spend time there...

I would like to ask if these boats are sailable only by owner or other ones too?

Thanks

Watching this thread with great interest now, I love boats, I just don't know much about them in regards to SL. Which surprises me, as I'm friends with people in SLCG (even attended a stunning memorial for one), my closest friend in SL is way big into boats both IRL and in SL, and I spend half my time hovering over the harbor on my home sim. I mean, I live in a derned fishing village, for crying out loud. XD

I've always loved nautical stuff, so seeing a thread on SL boats is cool. Maybe I can learn something.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

Watching this thread with great interest now, I love boats, I just don't know much about them in regards to SL. Which surprises me, as I'm friends with people in SLCG (even attended a stunning memorial for one), my closest friend in SL is way big into boats both IRL and in SL, and I spend half my time hovering over the harbor on my home sim. I mean, I live in a derned fishing village, for crying out loud. XD

I've always loved nautical stuff, so seeing a thread on SL boats is cool. Maybe I can learn something.

Luckily a lot of boats are relatively simple.  Powered boats at their most basic are just turn engine on, put it in gear, hold the throttle and point it in the direction you want.  Sailing boats are where it tends to get more tricky/complicated with trying to sail using the direction of the wind.  Even then those boats often have a powered mode or simple sailing mode.  Pretty much all come with great instructions and a HUD to show you relevant info as you go.

• Like 2

I like the Bandit 60 because it's closest to the sort I used to dream of sailing around the (real) world in.

Getting the hang of sailing is quite easy in SL - with the benefit of not getting wet and trying to hang on to a line when the wind gets up and the boat heels over 45°.

For pirating, I made my own top-sail Bermudan sloop with a much improved Tako-origin script.

• Like 2

@tyronbull It is hard describing which brands are good or better as some personal taste is involved. And some of the differences are way hard to describe.

So I suggest you take a friend with you and experiment with the boat. How poses work varies from brand to brand. Bandit (I love my Bandits - a 55 sail and a 380 power) has the ability to allow you to give control to another. I suspect many brands include the feature. So it is a matter of how well it works and how easy it is to figure out and remember. Taking a friend along will allow you to experiment and see whether you like a brands method.

Mesh Design, by Dutch Mainsail, makes some fun boats. I have a Flying Shadow catamaran by DM that is great fun.

The various brands have different 'engines"... scripts that control the handling and reactions of the boat. So you want to sail and experiment with how they handle. How well do they handle a region crossing and turns a speed. And pay attention to region performance when testing. A laggy region destroys boat performance. (Ctrl-Shift-1) Ignore testing crossings with multiple passengers. That is unlikely to tell you much about the boat.

Avoid getting hung up on the boat's HUD. There are after market HUD's for many of the boats. Plus there are ban-line detectors and other accessories. The USB or Ultimate Sailors Buddy is popular with the Topless Cruisers group. They use it to navigate their weekly sailing event, which is on Tuesday just after the majority of region restarts. Post restart makes for the best sailing. And the topless dance after party is fun.

I am not enamored with the 'adult' animations in most boats. At best they are passable and will suffice for a spontaneous hook up. Changing or adding animations to a boat or any large link-set thing in SL is difficult. So, I consider these animations only a 3 or 4 consideration in a decision to buy a boat.

You can most easily find boat designers in the SL Marketplace website. Then visit their in-world shops to demo the boats.

I think the best info you can get about boats is from those participating in boat races. Find them by this search and ask people in the groups. Most of these people will be in-world sailing/racing and not hanging in the forum. Go to some of the events. Racers will probably not want to carry passengers. But the Topless sailors are friendly and often will offer rides. You'll have time to talk about the boat.

• Like 5

I bought the Black VEN  from BBX. I think it was like a day later and I got an IM from the creator and he ended up sending me like, a whole bunch of other boats and a bunch of buildings.. I never really had that happen before..

In one of the boat folders is a hud you can use for driving and looking around..  The only thing I wish is that I knew how to do stuff with avisitter so I could add animations to the driver and be able to drive anywhere I want from anywhere on the boat.. I want to be able to sit up from and drive from up there.. I'll probably have to buy avisitter to be able to do that though, I think..

Either way, I really like my boat, or now BOATS.. hehehehehe

This is my boat.. I went for the biggest one  or one with a big front end for laying out that I could fit in my linden home.. It's only like 50 land impact I think.

I'm gonna see if he gave me a sail boat also.. I think I seen one in the folder  that he gave me.. Sailing seems like it will be fun too.

52483642125_9a1a2a8650_h.jpg

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3

I've got a Bandit IF, not a fan of large sailboats. It's quite fun to sail, the only downsides I've experienced is that I haven't figured out if there's a way to randomise wind (being able to just get perfect tailwind whenever you make a turn and turn it up to go faster feels like cheating), and that it fairly often stops being able to hike after a few crossings which can be a bit awkward. I just haven't used it enough to see if I can figure out how to fix it though, I'm mostly in a car or helicopter instead.

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I bought the Black VEN  from BBX. I think it was like a day later and I got an IM from the creator and he ended up sending me like, a whole bunch of other boats and a bunch of buildings.. I never really had that happen before.

Every time I bought a boat from BBX, I got that big folder of boats and buildings plus the boat I bought in other colors.  That creator is amazing!

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

@tyronbull It is hard describing which brands are good or better as some personal taste is involved. And some of the differences are way hard to describe.

So I suggest you take a friend with you and experiment with the boat. How poses work varies from brand to brand. Bandit (I love my Bandits - a 55 sail and a 380 power) has the ability to allow you to give control to another. I suspect many brands include the feature. So it is a matter of how well it works and how easy it is to figure out and remember. Taking a friend along will allow you to experiment and see whether you like a brands method.

Mesh Design, by Dutch Mainsail, makes some fun boats. I have a Flying Shadow catamaran by DM that is great fun.

The various brands have different 'engines"... scripts that control the handling and reactions of the boat. So you want to sail and experiment with how they handle. How well do they handle a region crossing and turns a speed. And pay attention to region performance when testing. A laggy region destroys boat performance. (Ctrl-Shift-1) Ignore testing crossings with multiple passengers. That is unlikely to tell you much about the boat.

Avoid getting hung up on the boat's HUD. There are after market HUD's for many of the boats. Plus there are ban-line detectors and other accessories. The USB or Ultimate Sailors Buddy is popular with the Topless Cruisers group. They use it to navigate their weekly sailing event, which is on Tuesday just after the majority of region restarts. Post restart makes for the best sailing. And the topless dance after party is fun.

I am not enamored with the 'adult' animations in most boats. At best they are passable and will suffice for a spontaneous hook up. Changing or adding animations to a boat or any large link-set thing in SL is difficult. So, I consider these animations only a 3 or 4 consideration in a decision to buy a boat.

You can most easily find boat designers in the SL Marketplace website. Then visit their in-world shops to demo the boats.

I think the best info you can get about boats is from those participating in boat races. Find them by this search and ask people in the groups. Most of these people will be in-world sailing/racing and not hanging in the forum. Go to some of the events. Racers will probably not want to carry passengers. But the Topless sailors are friendly and often will offer rides. You'll have time to talk about the boat.

thank you a lot, i didnt understand something about the add on, i will try to get better whan toy meant

11 hours ago, Leora Greenwood said:

Every time I bought a boat from BBX, I got that big folder of boats and buildings plus the boat I bought in other colors.  That creator is amazing!

I had that happen to me as well, I was inworld and met him at the store when I bought a boat.  😃

It is something about personal style. We can buy everything in SL, so it is those sellers that makes us notice them, that get loyal customers.

I bought my next boat from BBX, so it works.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 5:16 PM, Orwar said:

I haven't figured out if there's a way to randomise wind (being able to just get perfect tailwind whenever you make a turn and turn it up to go faster feels like cheating)

For me, the easiest way not to cheat is to simply set the wind at the beginning of the excursion and leave it there. In fact, I don't think I have ever changed the wind on my Becky's B-wind Sloop from the default value.

I'm not sure about other engines, but the one that came with Trudeau yachts let you turn off the scripted wind and sail using SL's own Havok physics wind. It was awfully frustrating, because the system wind varies...a LOT.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 683 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.