Help! Model displaying differently in Blender/Zbrush

DulceDiva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 502 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Good to hear that even scripted adjustments are possible; I'm not so interested in "just export a PBR material" but tinkering with and combining things on the fly has always been my favorite. Animated and surreal clothing textures are underrated!

15 hours ago, arton Rotaru said:

To correct that it was necessary to modify the mesh asset format itself. Means, for a synced normal map workflow, it is required that a mesh will have to be freshly (re-)uploaded to contain its original scale information to calculate the tangents properly. This does add more data to the mesh asset, so the land impact will increase slightly as well. Indeed, this does currently only work on the materials Aditi regions.

A question about this, though: does this mean you can't put PBR materials on old mesh at all? I don't even have the original files for many of my own mesh items available (can we be allowed to export *complete* backups of our own mesh, please? We can get only the highest LOD now...) and as I'm using an old obscure mesh avatar, there is roughly -0.3% chance of the creators of the avatar or the clothing ever reuploading anything.

I could live without perfect accuracy, but being locked out of even trying things sounds deeply demoralizing.

1 hour ago, Frionil Fang said:

A question about this, though: does this mean you can't put PBR materials on old mesh at all? I don't even have the original files for many of my own mesh items available (can we be allowed to export *complete* backups of our own mesh, please? We can get only the highest LOD now...) and as I'm using an old obscure mesh avatar, there is roughly -0.3% chance of the creators of the avatar or the clothing ever reuploading anything.

I could live without perfect accuracy, but being locked out of even trying things sounds deeply demoralizing

No no, you can put PBR materials on anything you like. Drop it on a prim face, and you are good.
About the normal map. Actually we did manage to work-around the broken tangents with legacy materials quite well in the past. With hard edges, face weighted normals for example.
So if your normal map does look good with a legacy material it will look good on a PBR material as well. The normal map is just the same for PBR and legacy Spec/Gloss materials. Well not quite the same, as the GLTF spec recommends to use normal maps without an alpha channel. Because the alpha channel is not utilized in the Metal/Rough workflow on a normal map anyway.

Edited by arton Rotaru

7 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:

No no, you can put PBR materials on anything you like. Drop it on a prim face, and you are good.
About the normal map. Actually we did manage to work-around the broken tangents with legacy materials quite well in the past. With hard edges, face weighted normals for example.
So if your normal map does look good with a legacy material it will look good on a PBR material as well. The normal map is just the same for PBR and legacy Spec/Gloss materials. Well not quite the same, as the GLTF spec recommends to use normal maps without an alpha channel. Because the alpha channel is not utilized in the Metal/Rough workflow on a normal map anyway.

Thank you for the clarification! I've been mildly hyped (as much as I can get hyped about anything these days) about possible new shiny adventures so I got a bit worried over my misunderstandings. Also this has probably gotten a bit off topic even if tangentially related to the subject, so I'll stop fretting and get back to hoping.

@Fluffy Sharkfin @Frionil Fang @arton Rotaru Although I couldn't understand 100% of the topic discussed (as I am beginner :) ), I believe I will at some point once I get some experience and better knowledge with Blender, UVs, Baking textures and Normal maps. I'll bookmark the page so I can have it handy when the time comes :D . At the moment, I'm just creating stuff step-by-step based on what I saw people do in tutorials when it comes to creating meshes 🙂

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 502 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.