Novatropolis (Hippoden, Hyperion, Loki & Ni) Community

Gamxor1488303198

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4582 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Originally recreated on the TSL grid in late 2005 and merged with the main grid early 2011, Novatropolis, referred to by the locals, includes Hippoden, Hyperion, Loki & Ni regions and is the sister city of Nova Albion.

Although our [merged] city community is relatively new, lets start with street names.  Just 'Reply' to this thread indicating the street colour code followed by your suggestion and type (e.g. Street, Road, Avenue, Way etc)

HD_HY_LK_NI.png

Hippoden (HD): Green; Pink; White 1 & 3

Hyperion (HY): Yellow; Orange; White 1 & 2

Loki (LK): Red; Cyan; White 1 & 2

Ni (NI): Blue; Teal; Purple; White 1 & 3

Note - White 1, 2 and 3 refer to region crossing streets/roads/bridges

We (not limited to the Novatropolis community) can finalise names by vote/poll before submitting a case ticket requesting street sign installations (subject to approval) by the helpful Michael Linden, who is working on municipal content repairs and rebuilding.

:manvery-happy:

1 White - Candy Lane Avenue

White 2 - Sunset Boulevard

Red - Furrydust Road

Cyan - Nowhere Alley

Yellow - Shameless Road

Orange - Peekaboo Way

White 3 - Bridge of Wonders

Green - Majestic Boulevard

Pink - sweetlips Lane

Teal - Devil's hunt Road

Blue - Jolly Rogers Way

Purple - Savy Road

White3 Ship Canal Bridge

Green Potamus Drive

Red Eris Avenue

Yellow Rings of Saturn Boulevard

Orange Laptop Lane

Blue Python Avenue

Purple Shrubbery Street

Teal Fleshwound Street

Pink Seahorse Wallow

White2 Fishing Cat Lane

Lt Blue Trickster Alley

White1 Magellan Boulevard

Received via notecard from Emma Starsider:

My suggestions:

1 = Novatropolis Highway
2 = Beach Road
3 = Pontis Tilia

Orange = Izzy Linden Blvd
Yellow = Riverview Road
Lt. Blue = Teen Grid Alley
Red = Bayview Drive
Purple = Sunset Blvd
Teal = Shoppers Lane
Pink = Guy Linden Blvd
Green = Michael Linden Blvd
Blue = Ocean Blvd

Thank you to the residents for posting and participating so far =)

I was thinking of using the forums poll function but now that I investigate further, I think it's user-type limited and although I'd prefer to have the responses limited to community accessible platforms, I haven't ruled out google forms.

Alternatively, I'll see what can be done in-world and hopefully more replies will be submitted within the week.

:smileyhappy: 

Well it's Friday afternoon here and less than an hour remains of my work day..I did a brief region 'name' search, hoping to be inspired for street name suggestions and following are a few keywords:

Hippoden: Hippopotamus amphibious; den

Hyperion: Greek mythology; moon; portable computer (some anagrams 'pony hire' and um..'horny pie').

Loki: Norse mythology; close

Ni: nickel / metal; atomic number 28; 7th note of the Indian scale

Happy Friday :smileyvery-happy:

Update (1) - Well it's just past midnight now and here's what I've got so far (includes some previous suggestions).

• White 1: Novatropolis Highway 2.4 (incorporates viewer version (2.4) released Dec 16 2010 prior to the merge)
  • White 2: Blumfield Road (appreciation to Michael Linden)
  • White 3: Izzy Stravenue (appreciation to Izzy Linden

• Hippoden: Green & Pink Potamus Loop or Ctrl+Alt+Shift+H Loop (..hmm maybe the Hippos! badge is too long)
  • Hyperion: Yellow Riverview Road; Orange Laptop Crescent
  • Loki: Red TSL Drive (appreciation of the former Teen Second Life grid); Cyan Gamxor Lane (..hehe)
  • Ni: Blue Jolly Rogers Way; Teal Shoppers Lane; Purple Shrubbery Street

/me is zzzleepy :matte-motes-asleep:

A bit of 'splaining:

My take on 'Ni' was, of course, Knights Who Say... which is why Shrubbery, Fleshwound, and Python, tho' I was tickled that Python did double-duty as a coding language reference.

Loki is the trickster, which was why I included that.

I don't like naming streets for living people, however the way you have it as Izzy only and Blumfield only seems reasonable (except there's an entire Blumfield suburban community so might make confusion). Gamxor is understandable but not an appellation I'd support.

Hyperion - as well as laptop, I included Saturn as its a moon of Saturn.

I like the badge shortcut name but agree it's too long. Could we get by with C+A+S+H Street? Maybe not as it sounds commercial - on the other hand it's pronounceable and might be fun.

By the way - I recommend that votes be taken simply on names. And then, let the 'city residents' have a say in things too, in an in world mailbox vote count that only they can participate in. That would be a vote on who gets which street. If they are paying tier and have a shop or home on a street or in a city shouldn't they get a say?

Since it's hard to get people involved in something more abstract at times, take name suggestions from anywhere, but then, let the residents of that place (is it officially called Novatropolis now?) have a say in where things go.

And I'm assuming the Lindens are on board with this? As opposed to this is all what if?

Hi Melita, hope this helps:

1. No Gamxor is resident and yes this is for fun (here's a response from Guy Linden: " I know some residents try to create lore for specific areas and give them names.  Although not official, they can catch on and become known by those names.").
  2. Could you please assign your suggestions to a colour for vote inclusion (am working on a basic voting system in-world at Loki 128/128) and currently there is no naming theme.
  3. Once adults moved in and the majority of teens moved out, we wanted to differentiate the city from the original Nova Albion (so people weren't confused and so we could start our own community).  The city suggestions at the time were either New Albion or Novatropolis, where the majority (landowners) agreed with the latter.
  4. I have a few other ideas for the city but this really depends on the Lindens for example a plaque to be laid by Rodvik Linden commerating the teen and main grid merge and also a community center...but this is still pending approval/confirmation (fingers crossed)

I had a big scenario that I would've loved to've seen when the teens were ported to Agni. I wanted all the newcomers to dress as zombies, infecting the population. There could've been reports and videos ahead of the event that talked of a strange sickness spreading like wildfire...

A lot of people would've participated, I'm sure.

Osprey Therian wrote:

I had a big scenario that I would've loved to've seen when the teens were ported to Agni. I wanted all the newcomers to dress as zombies, infecting the population. There could've been reports and videos ahead of the event that talked of a strange sickness spreading like wildfire...

Somebody plays World of Warcraft I see. :)

Curious that this piece got left on the teen island when the rest of Bay City teen moved. Novia Albion may not officially be Bay City, but well, for all intents and purposes Bay City's community really is from the Shermerville sims through Nova Albion and into the Bay City sims.

This chunk looks awfully awkward left where it is.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Curious that this piece got left on the teen island when the rest of Bay City teen moved. Novia Albion may not officially be Bay City, but well, for all intents and purposes Bay City's community really is from the Shermerville sims through Nova Albion and into the Bay City sims.

This chunk looks awfully awkward left where it is.

Nova Albion was there first, and has/had it's own user base long before Bay City was even a glimmer in a mole's eye. Ditto Shermerville, Blumfield, and West Haven. Heck, I suspect there are more than a few who wish that Bay City remained a glimmer. Sadly, there is some disunion between the two cities.

Nova Albion is "not officially Bay City" because it's not Bay City, and I would hope it never would be. If anything, I've referred to the area as "the tri-city area" for Nova Albion, Bay City, and the suburbs. 

Osprey Therian wrote:

A lot of people would've participated, I'm sure.

That would have rocked.

Gamxor wrote:

Hi Melita, hope this helps:

1. No Gamxor is resident and yes this is for fun (here's a response from Guy Linden:
    " I know some residents try to create lore for specific areas and give them names.  Although not official, they can catch on and become known by those names."
    ).
  2. Could you please assign your suggestions to a colour for vote inclusion (am working on a basic voting system in-world at Loki 128/128) and currently there is no naming theme.
  3. Once adults moved in and the majority of teens moved out, we wanted to differentiate the city from the original Nova Albion (so people weren't confused and so we could start our own community).  The city suggestions at the time were either New Albion or Novatropolis, where the majority (landowners) agreed with the latter.
  4. I have a few other ideas for the city but this really depends on the Lindens for example a plaque to be laid by Rodvik Linden commerating the teen and main grid merge and also a community center...but this is still pending approval/confirmation (fingers crossed)

HI Gamxor.

1. So it's an independent effort. 

2. I'll think about it. When is the deadline? I prefer my idea of leaving the placement of the top voted upon street names to the actual land owners to be honest. That gives everyone (who owns land there currently) some say in this. Not  only people who are used to the forums. It would also hopefully give everyone an equal vote. As it stands, people will tend to vote most particularly on the street they own land near. Maybe less picky about the other streets. In other words, a name might be good but the people there might not want it but prefer the one they recommended. So if those people along that street dislike it, the name has zero chance.

3. I don't recall anyone asking me or a friend who also owns land in the area what to call the city. Frankly, I think you should just say this is all you.

4. That is a nice idea. There is a community center of sorts (a help center) in Hippoden already. I have a parcel near that, which I intend to turn into a meeting place. 

To be really really frank, I'm not sure the city is ready for all this organization. I like the fact that it is all still new and anything can happen. I like the pioneering aspect; it's one reason I bought land there. Why don't we see what people build, and then worry about names, and maps, and ordinances?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4582 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.