Home on land

Nosathro

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 544 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Nosathro said:

Does anyone notice that the lands for sale or rent already have homes on them.  Did it ever come to mind that some would want to put a home they like on the place and not what is already there

Just like selling a home in RL, land owners may 'stage' a parcel to show what can be done.  With sales and some rental, they often say you can use the items or send them back.  Some rentals, however, are AS IS and don't allow a return of items.   Sale of land is as @Cinnamon Mistwoodsaid, yours to do with as you please.

ETA..wanted to add.that rentals/sales on Private estates are completely different than mainland.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 5

From what I have seen very few state I can remove a home, which is why I don't buy land.  Another reason is I did buy some land free of houses, paid for it and I have yet to get the land.  RIP OFF,  I have complained but SL as aways ignores compliants

• Confused 1

Are you buying MaInland? If so, once you own a parcel, you can return anything on it using the Objects tab in About Land.

On rentals or "purchases" of parcels on private estates, as noted above, it varies. You'll need to verify with the landlord before renting to make sure what the rules are.

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 3

@Nosathro can you provide a landmark for us to see if this is indeed Mainland or a private estate?

It's sounding more and more like a private estate or a rental parcel on mainland, and you've simply paid the rental fee, because if it was mainland the second you pay for it it changes ownership to your name, and as others have pointed out, you could immediately return everything on the land to whoever owns it (it appears in their Lost & Found folder, btw).

Post a landmark and let one of us pop by and check, I'll be in-world tonight and would be happy to.

If you paid and then do an About Land on it doesn't have your name as owner, then it's a rental. Additionally, if you did anything other than right clicking the land and clicking a Buy Land button (i.e., clicked a box or something like a sign), I'd bet you it's a rental.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

f you paid and then do an About Land on it doesn't have your name as owner, then it's a rental. Additionally, if you did anything other than right clicking the land and clicking a Buy Land button (i.e., clicked a box or something like a sign), I'd bet you it's a rental.

The About Land tab will have my name if I 'buy' land on a private estate even though I'm actually renting from the Estate owner.  I also right click and buy the land on a.private estate even though, again, it's actually a rental from the Estate owner.  

It's all a bit different on mainland where right clicking on land to buy is really buying and you rent from a box.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Nosathro said:

Up date I tried to buy the land, SL canceled it 7 times no reason given, I have given up of this 

Are you a premium member?  You have to be Premium to buy Mainland.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Nosathro said:

Up date I tried to buy the land, SL canceled it 7 times no reason given, I have given up of this 

Several people in this thread has offered to help you.

Why do you not want to give them the landmark? You can post a private message, if you do not want to post it openly.

But take up their offer. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Several people in this thread has offered to help you.

Why do you not want to give them the landmark? You can post a private message, if you do not want to post it openly.

But take up their offer. 

This. It is impossible to help when we don't know what exactly you are talking about, OP.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Nosathro said:

Tens of thousands of people (at least) have managed to buy land in SL, but it can be confusing. Folks here on the Forums would really like to help you, but without more information we just can't figure out what's going wrong.

More than anything else, we need to understand where you're trying to buy land. A landmark is kind of a shortcut for answering a bunch of questions, but in lieu of a landmark my first questions would be whether you're buying:

1. Mainland from the Lab at auction (possibly the trickiest way),
  2. Mainland from another resident directly (maybe the simplest way), or
  3. An Estate parcel from an Estate owner.

Any of these will result in land to use, but their buying processes work a little differently, and might fail a little differently if something goes wrong.

• Like 1

Land in SL is complicated. Sadly, Lindall Kidd's land class at Caledon Oxbridge no longer seems to be given.

On 10/25/2022 at 10:07 AM, Nosathro said:

Does anyone notice that the lands for sale or rent already have homes on them.  Did it ever come to mind that some would want to put a home they like on the place and not what is already there

Are you perhaps looking at houses in Bellessaria? That's a planned development.

There are quite a few land options. First, check World->Region Details -> Region

• "Mainland/Full Region" - you can buy land directly from Linden Lab, or from another user, or rent from someone else. There's a huge variety of land available, from bare rock in isolated areas to beachfront property, with a wide range of prices. Mainland is do it yourself. You get bare land and can build on it. Buying mainland that's currently offered for sale, and paying the asking price, is simple. You go to World->Parcel Details, see the price, and click "Buy Land". Now you own the land. Linden Lab will then bill your credit card for a monthly property tax, called "tier", per this schedule. You can also negotiate various deals, which is complicated. There are few restrictions on what you can do with mainland land.
  • "Linden Homes/Full Region" - run directly by Linden Lab, as a planned development. You get a house with a premium membership. You can't remove the house, although there's a control panel at the mailbox that lets you pick from one of a small number of house designs. This is the easiest way to have a house in Second Life. No monthly charge beyond your premium membership.
  • "Estate" - the entire region is owned by some landlord, you are renting from them, even if it says "Buy". Each landlord has their own rules. There are some very large landlords with millions of US dollars of Second Life land. Some landlords have strict rules. Read the landlord's rules carefully and talk to some other tenants first. There are themed estates, where everything fits a specific theme. These range from New Babbage (a large steampunk city with strict building inspection) to Crack Den (a large bad neighborhood with strict roleplay rules.) There are high-end estates, such as the Fruit Islands and The Grove. If you have to ask how much they cost, you can't afford them.

Renting is usually done via a "rent box". Most of these are a cube or bar at the parcel, which is green if the parcel is for rent. Rent is usually charged per week. Just for practice, you might find some tiny parcel and rent it for a week, and do some building. Minimum parcel rents are around L$50/week. If you don't pay your rent, you will be evicted after a while. All your stuff on the parcel will be returned to you. Some landlords will tolerate late payments; some won't. The rent box will tell you your payment status if you click on it.

Caledon Oxbridge has a walk-through tutorial that explains land.

There are house stores on Marketplace. These sell houses you place on your land. Parcels and houses come in various sizes, so buy something that fits. You can build from scratch, too. Builders Brewery has classes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 544 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.